Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask questions about DROD RPG (You know you want to) This topic has been locked
<<11121314
Page 15 of 16
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (0)  
Is there rounding in the score? Why not just multiply everything by 40? I'm pretty sure I did something the other night to gain 3HP. Apparently it was all for naught? oh no!
09-15-2008 at 08:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
By the way - what's the reputation value used for, if anything?

It doesn't end up in the score, right?

09-15-2008 at 09:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+1)  
Word in the chat is that reputation isn't used for anything in the official hold (keeping it simple for first time players), but it is another variable that can be used in future holds.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-15-2008 09:09 AM]
09-15-2008 at 09:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
While reading about Roaches at title screen :

Has anyone smited those fast & small roaches yet?
;)
09-15-2008 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
mrimer wrote:
Trick has built the Linux version and provided me with demo and full installers. I've put these up. Big thanks to Gerry for his help. Penguins everywhere, rejoice!

That was much, much faster than I thought it would be - now I'll never have to boot to Windows again. Yay trick!

09-15-2008 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
What is the "Special Command" used for? It has its own key in the keybindings, but the Help files only mention it in passing.
09-15-2008 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+2)  
Pekka wrote:
What is the "Special Command" used for? It has its own key in the keybindings, but the Help files only mention it in passing.

It doesn't do anything by default, but it can be assigned a special script that plays every time it is pressed. In other words, it gives architects a way to create a custom action for their holds. You can see it in action in the second half of the official hold, where it is used for:

Click here to view the secret text

09-15-2008 at 03:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
nabla
Rank Points: 122
What does it depend on, how much you have to pay for the first upgrade at the second upgrade machine? My first time around the second machine started at 80 greckles, but now on my second walkthrough it's starting at 140.

On a side note, I really love the game, but the graphic used for the upgrade machine seems a bit out of place. It just does not fit the style of the rest of the game.
09-17-2008 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
nabla wrote:
What does it depend on, how much you have to pay for the first upgrade at the second upgrade machine? My first time around the second machine started at 80 greckles, but now on my second walkthrough it's starting at 140.

the price you have to pay for it depends on how many times you'd upgraded before. The price always rises per time you buy an upgrade (it doesn't matter which machine you use, that's why they advise you to find better machines as quickly as possible.

In this case, on your first time around, you've used the first machine 2 times, the second time around, you used the first 3 times.

09-17-2008 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
nabla
It's true that my second time around I used the first machine 3 times, but my first time around I did not use it at all. I did not even open the green door leading to the machine.
So shouldn't that make the second machine charge only 20 greckles for the first purchase? Or does it have a minimum price of 80 greckles regardless of former purchases (which would probably make two purchases at the first machine a good tactic)?
09-17-2008 at 04:50 PM
Timo006
nabla wrote:
It's true that my second time around I used the first machine 3 times, but my first time around I did not use it at all. I did not even open the green door leading to the machine.
So shouldn't that make the second machine charge only 20 greckles for the first purchase? Or does it have a minimum price of 80 greckles regardless of former purchases (which would probably make two purchases at the first machine a good tactic)?

No, I've been able to end the first level of part two without buying any upgrades, and it started at 20.

09-17-2008 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
nabla
Well if that's how it's supposed to be, then I guess I encountered some sort of bug.
09-17-2008 at 06:02 PM
Insane
Rank Points: 154
The Architest wrote:

;)

Did that before starting the game.
Yes, the smallest.
09-17-2008 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Timo006
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+2)  
The Architest wrote:

;)

Actually, about the title screen, there are some more things to it...

[Last edited by Timo006 at 09-17-2008 09:07 PM]
09-17-2008 at 09:07 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Am I going to have to replay the whole game if I find like on level 23 or something, I'm coming up short on keys, hit points, or something else? I notice now that I have way more HP than I need to progress. I understand that if I don't need to kill a monster immediately, I can come back and pick him off with less (or no) cost when I'm more buff. But still situations come up where I won't seem to know the optimal solution until several levels in the future when I reach a point of scarcity.

So for example, I don't know if I'll have more scarcity with hit points or greckles in the far future. So if there are two ways to progress--one with a damaging monster and one with a greckle door--I don't have enough information to know which route is best.

Should I worry that much about it? I'll be pretty bummed if I have to recreate 10 hours of gameplay with slightly better choices to make it through.

-Erik

09-17-2008 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Fafnir
icon Re: Ask questions about DROD RPG (+3)  
First off, the game is divided into two halves, and your stats are reset in the interval between them. So that limits the possible damage - even if you're totally stuffed, you'll only have to replay half the game.

Also, the official hold is generally far less cruel than ToTS. One bad decision won't render it unwinnable unless it's an immediately obvious catastrophe or it's the last in a long string of bad decisions. And it will generally be pretty obvious quite soon after the decision. I've been working on an optimal playthrough for the last few days, and I've just finished Rule 7 with about 11000 HP, nine keys, and thousands of greckles. In my first playthrough, admittedly doing the endgame the incredibly wimpy way, I finished the second half with over 22000 HP leftt (although I forget how many keys and greckles). That's a lot of leeway.

My general approach when I'm not sure what to do is to make a temporary save, then blindly hack my way through the level to get the lay of the land. Once you know where the gems are and where the level's sword or shield is, you plan a more efficient route through. If there's an enemy in the way, it's also helpful to know how much ATK you would have to gain to take less damage from him so you can gauge whether it's worth powering up first - there's a useful spreadsheet for that in the optimisation thread. I didn't bother with that in my first playthrough, though, so it's hardly necessary.

There are two things I probably should warn you about though. The first is not to kill monsters in the second half of the game when you can avoid it - even if you can instakill them. You'll find a sword called the lucky blade which will give you double the greckles if you leave them for later. The second is that it's possible to lock yourself out of the good ending without realising it - I did on my first playthrough. When you find the hand bomb in the second half of the game, don't use it on the adder - trust me on that one!

tl;dr: Don't worry about it - it it happens, you won't have to repeat that much.

09-17-2008 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I don't think you have to, but I did it anyway. Once you've played through a level, it doesn't take you nearly as long to complete a second time.
09-17-2008 at 11:58 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Okay, thanks, I feel better. I've never been much of an optimizer, but I can handle this.

-Erik

09-18-2008 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
enzi666
Rank Points: 162
Oh my god. I was on my second playthrough through the first part of the game but 11000 hp is insane.

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
09-18-2008 at 01:08 AM
Fafnir
It makes the secret level easier, I can tell you that! :) Optimising that one's going to be tricky...

09-18-2008 at 02:24 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
So I might as well ask here--apologies if this is covered somewhere else. Right-clicking rooms on the minimap changes their color. What, exactly, does that indicate, or what is it for?
09-18-2008 at 02:53 AM
Fafnir
I noticed that as well. My best guess is that it's just there to give you a way of marking rooms. For example, if the only treasure in a room is permanently inaccessible, you could manually change the room colour from yellow to white. Or if a room contains something you badly need, but can't get to yet (like a new shield), you could change the room colour to green.

Am I along the right lines?

09-18-2008 at 02:58 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
That's what I thought too. And it sort of makes me want a Phantom Hourglass-ish ability--to add notes to the minimap. Going to FR it.

09-18-2008 at 03:10 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Yes, that's what the colors are for, so the player can mark the map and keep track of places to come back to. Actually, IIRC, Mike and I were playing Phantom Hourglass around the time we decided to put that feature in. Those room colors are a lot easier to program than a full drawing interface, though, and much more compact to store as well.

++Adam H. Peterson
09-18-2008 at 03:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Huh. Frankly, I find it kind of confusing. I can cycle through yellow/orange/olive/green, or white/pink/pale-blue/pale-green, or red/gray/blue-gray/other-gray, and in the latter case, at least, I'm losing some information--the green door in the room gets lost in the grays. I hope other people are finding it useful...
09-18-2008 at 03:43 AM
Fafnir
How many secrets should I have found by the end of the first half of the game?

09-18-2008 at 05:52 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Fafnir wrote:
How many secrets should I have found by the end of the first half of the game?
Ooh, good question. In a similar vein, how many rooms are there in the first half of the game?

09-18-2008 at 06:00 PM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
Timo006 wrote:
The Architest wrote:

;)

Actually, about the title screen, there are some more things to it...

How can you do that?

I have never hear about any sort cheats/things about changing monsters at Title Screen?

Tell me more,uncle Beethro! :w00t
09-18-2008 at 06:41 PM
Timo006
In the drodrpg.ini file, just drop the line "ExtraCritters=1" in the [Startup] section. Save the changes made to the drodrpg.ini file, and play. This should let Evil Eyes and Wraithwings appear on the title screen.

Note: you can also do this in DROD:TCB.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 09-18-2008 06:45 PM]
09-18-2008 at 06:43 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Oh my... those HUGE evil eyes could use some filtering...

09-18-2008 at 06:46 PM
<<11121314
Page 15 of 16
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ask questions about DROD RPG (You know you want to) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com