Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : The Realisation of A Dream
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon The Realisation of A Dream (0)  
I'm proud to announce that the Hold Download page is now ready to go! You can look at it here.

Schik's worked hard on this, pulling in SQL, PHP, Smarty and god knows what else to make a system that will read uploaded files and organises not only the files, but what they contain, what everyone thinks of them, and the people who upload and download them. It's an impressive bit of work, and something I haven't seen tried anywhere else. The fact I haven't looked hard doesn't mean that it's not a unique and spectacular bit of coding.

I guess I did some stuff as well. Pales in comparison, really.

The Holds forum is still accessable, but there's now an overall view that bridges the divide between forum and site. It's neat.

Matt

01-24-2004 at 06:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The Realisation of A Dream (0)  
Very, very cool.

01-24-2004 at 06:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Hmmm, I would change the last sentence..."If you'd like to add you own hold, register for the DROD.net forum (a painless process, and we promise not to spam you) and upload it using this page."

This implies that new holds should go directly to the Holds forum, and not be tested in the Architecture forum like is the usual protocol. I think you should probably reword this.

But other than this change, I think it looks very nice. Well done, both of you!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-24-2004 at 08:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
If you go to the second page, then sort the holds, only the showed holds are sorted.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-24-2004 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Oneiromancer wrote:
Hmmm, I would change the last sentence..."If you'd like to add you own hold, register for the DROD.net forum (a painless process, and we promise not to spam you) and upload it using this page."

This implies that new holds should go directly to the Holds forum, and not be tested in the Architecture forum like is the usual protocol. I think you should probably reword this.
I think what I need to do is change the upload script a little bit so it tells the user, with no doubts, that this is for finished, complete holds only. And then I need to get around to making it easy for users or admins to delete holds from this database so that if we do have mistakes, they can be easily corrected.

01-24-2004 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Nillo wrote:
If you go to the second page, then sort the holds, only the showed holds are sorted.

You sure? I can't reproduce this.

Matt

01-24-2004 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Nillo wrote:
Well... hmm. It stays on the page you're on - so if you're on page 2 and sort by a different field, it's showing you the tail end of the list still. I can probably change it so that when you sort by a different field than it's already sorted by, it puts you back at the top.

01-24-2004 at 01:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I think he's saying, thought, that only the five holds you see are sorted, and that's not true at all.

Whatever you want to do, Schik.

Matt

01-24-2004 at 01:51 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Sorry, bad wording. I meant that it stays on the same page when you sort the holds.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-24-2004 at 02:39 PM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
Any chance that "Happyhouse" on that holds page could be changed to the version that's linked at the top of the Arcitecture thread for "Happyhouse" here:
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1344

The version in the Holds thread has the 'exit stairs' bug and doesn't end properly. I've posted in that thread where the corrected version can be found, but if someone goes to the holds page instead chances are they'll miss that post. I hate the idea of someone playing a hold of mine that's not working right. :(

01-25-2004 at 06:30 AM
Schik
Try going into your profile and updating it. If it doesn't work, then let me know and I'll figure out what's broken using the test forum.

01-25-2004 at 09:02 AM
Mattcrampy
Schik's working on a fix that will allow you to swap out holds so long as the level design doesn't change.

Until that time, pester Schik.

Matt

01-25-2004 at 09:08 AM
Schik
Mattcrampy wrote:
Schik's working on a fix that will allow you to swap out holds so long as the level design doesn't change.

Until that time, pester Schik.
That fix has been uploaded - but it's possible that it is a little TOO picky and won't let you update it even if it should.

Go into Profile -> Modify -> My Holds -> Upload a new version and try updating it. Let me know what happens.

01-25-2004 at 02:55 PM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
Schik wrote:
That fix has been uploaded - but it's possible that it is a little TOO picky and won't let you update it even if it should.

Go into Profile -> Modify -> My Holds -> Upload a new version and try updating it. Let me know what happens.
I just tried this. After hitting submit I'm taken to a blank page. The hold doesn't look like it's been updated afterwards either (that is, it still says there's been 70 downloads of the 'Happyhouse.hold' file).

01-25-2004 at 09:19 PM
Schik
Tscott wrote:
I just tried this. After hitting submit I'm taken to a blank page. The hold doesn't look like it's been updated afterwards either (that is, it still says there's been 70 downloads of the 'Happyhouse.hold' file).
Aargh. After all that testing of invalid uploads, I forgot to re-enable the redirect if it DOES succeed. So a blank page is what you should have seen if it succeeded. I've added the redirect back in so that it takes you back to your hold page in your profile.

As for the 70 downloads still, that's the intent - to not lose count of downloads in the case of an update. It just replaces the data in the attachment as opposed to deleting it and creating a new one.

01-26-2004 at 04:28 AM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I re-uploaded Claythro Tower without the warp. It seems to have worked. I praise your work, Schik. I also used the room image hiding thing. That's too cool. :thumbsup
01-26-2004 at 05:04 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Could I request that all the holds be on the same page? I would find it much easier to look at them that way.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-11-2004 at 06:57 PM
Schik
I coded it such that it would be easy to change the number per page, but I never gave Matt C. any way to put that into the interface. For now, just go to:

http://www.drod.net/forum/holds.php?npp=1000

And you'll get 1000 holds per page, even when you sort by different fields. We could probably add something rather easily that would allow you to change it via a drop-down box or something.

02-11-2004 at 07:05 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
OK, thanks!

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-11-2004 at 07:08 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Just something I'm curious about: How often does the holds download page refresh? I uploaded my hold about 4 hours ago, and it's not on that page yet. I don't mean to sound whiney, I'm just curious.

Also, could a feature be added to that page that highlights holds less than some number of days old as "New"?

02-13-2004 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
It's completely dynamic, so at any point it should show the current state of the uploaded holds database.

However, there's a slight oversight in my query. I noticed it this morning in another similar query in some test code, actually. At first i thought your hold didn't upload correctly, but I finally realized what's happening. In order to do sorting by anything, I query several different things from several tables all in one call. If a hold doesn't have anything in one of those tables, then it doesn't get returned by the query. In this case, the offender is the ratings table. Nobody has rated your hold yet, so it's ommitted from the results.

I'll probably just have to add an extra query for holds that don't have any ratings yet... blech.

02-13-2004 at 11:54 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : The Realisation of A Dream
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com