Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Five-Suite Speaking Grounds
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
joker5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 607
IP: Logged
icon Re: Five-Suite Speaking Grounds (New Contest) (0)  
I'm not making any passages with corners, so there won't be any problem.

But like I said, any passage that turns left also turns right.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-24-2004 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
Would it be ok if your hold is "unfinished" in the sense that several doors that would be in the "finished" design don't exist? In other words, the Negotiators have moved into their Suites, and the passages for the meeting requirement exist, but not all the safety features advertised are installed yet?

~joker5

01-25-2004 at 08:44 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
For the question, "Should I submit my hold if it doesn't meet all requirements?" the answer is "yes." As long as the hold makes an attempt to meet some of the requirements, I'll accept it as an entry.

Keep in mind that the first standard voters will be asked to judge on is how well the requirements have been met. It seems possible to me that a person might meet 8 or 9 requirements, and because they've satisfied requirements in a particularly clever way, voters might favor that hold over a second hold that met all 10 requirements. Or another entrant who thought he had completely met all 10 requirements, might have his work questioned during Caucus, such that the general feeling was that he hadn't met requirements well. So as far as entering a competitive hold, I think you have a chance as long as you meet most of the requirements.

And then there are other reasons to enter your hold other than a chance to win. It's good to share your work with other people, and you will (probably) enjoy hearing what people think about it. So even if you don't think you'll win, it's fun to participate.

-Erik

01-25-2004 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Um, if a passage has a corner that turns right, that's a rightward bend, no? It's a sharp, 90-degrees bend, but it's still a bend. Otherwise, the rule would be somewhat meaningless, as DROD is on a square grid.

01-25-2004 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
And joker.... you double posted.....

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-26-2004 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MarvinTheRobot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
Haha! As soon as i feel a little less intoxicated than i am right now, i'll give it a shot!

Come to think of it though,... maybe this intoxicated feeling is, after all, only a result of *trying* to figure out how to start building this... hold?

hah, life!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
01-27-2004 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Is it wrong that I opened this thread entirely because Marvin made a post outside the Development forum?

Anyway, I hope to find time to take care of this before the due date, I'm just really busy with school, my normal hold (it's been discovered that working on more than one hold at a time is bad for your health, or something), my writing, and my website. And I have a way to conform to all 10, plus make the hold beatable! Just putting it out there for those who only got the first 9 to work.

01-27-2004 at 04:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
meowsqueak
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
ErikH2000 wrote:
10. All passages are to be sinister with no rightward bent.

Sinister is, of course, latin for 'left'...
01-30-2004 at 04:57 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Indeed. I'd suspect that's why it's there, plus of course fitting right in with the flavour text.

Also, welcome to DROD.net!

Matt

01-30-2004 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Of course, the real dilemma here is that all passages that turn left will also turn right when you're coming from the other side. It depends on your perspective. Then again, this is a rather contradictory statement. I just know Erik's going to chime in and say "Intentional". He's funny that way. :D

01-30-2004 at 09:45 PM
joker5
I was saying that a while ago... ah well, if he says "Intentional" then we'll know he wanted straight passages.

~joker5

02-01-2004 at 12:24 AM
BenStandeven
Rank Points: 34
OK, I've got the hold done, but what should I do with it? (I.e. how do I enter it?)
02-01-2004 at 02:46 AM
ErikH2000
BenStandeven wrote:
OK, I've got the hold done, but what should I do with it? (I.e. how do I enter it?)
Very good!

1. Make sure you hold has anyone-can-edit privileges.
2. Export it to a hold file.
3. E-mail me (ErikH2000 at yahoo dot com) with the hold file attached to your message.

-Erik

02-01-2004 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1980
Ok, so I'm almost done with mine, but I've got one quick question. Are these going to be judged without knowledge of the author? I ask because I sign my name on a scroll and in the ending, and I'll remove those if anonymity is necessary.

02-09-2004 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Ok, so I'm almost done with mine, but I've got one quick question. Are these going to be judged without knowledge of the author? I ask because I sign my name on a scroll and in the ending, and I'll remove those if anonymity is necessary.
If it is valuable to you to remain anonymous, then I'd suggest removing your name from the scroll, but that's up to you. I'll be removing author credits associated with holds and levels, to keep the possibility of anonymity alive.

-Erik

02-09-2004 at 11:15 PM
RoboBob3000
Ok cool. I just took my name out. And with that...

*send*

My entry is on its way!

02-09-2004 at 11:27 PM
ErikH2000
You guys still have the better part of a week to put a hold together. I'm not going to say too much about the entries I've already collected, except that I'm quite happy with them, but I wouldn't call any one of them unassailable. If you are considering making an entry, I think you have a good shot at the trophy if you are clever and creative. And anything can happen in Caucus, where opinions might be drastically shaped by debate. I am curious to see what happens at that stage. For example, will authors remain anonymous or make themselves known?

-Erik

02-09-2004 at 11:28 PM
ErikH2000
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Ok cool. I just took my name out. And with that...

*send*

My entry is on its way!
RoboBob, it's been a while and I didn't get it. Wuttupwitdat?

-Erik

02-13-2004 at 04:42 PM
RoboBob3000
Really now? I'll send it again. Thanks for telling me. My school's e-mail system has been randomly dropping messages for some reason. We've got the most unreliable technology services here on campus. Anyhow, I just sent it again. Lemme know if you got it.

02-13-2004 at 07:10 PM
RoboBob3000
So... did you get it?

02-14-2004 at 08:40 PM
ErikH2000
RoboBob3000 wrote:
So... did you get it?
This time I did. My spam software was throwing it in the crap bucket for some reason.

If anyone alse sent me a hold, and didn't get a reply back, that means I probably didn't get it and you should send it again.

-Erik

02-15-2004 at 02:17 AM
Ander
Rank Points: 79
My original hold design pretty much met all the requirements, if you allowed for some creative interprepations. Basically, I had to rule that a specific speaker could get private access to another only through his attendants, who'd have to travel through some public hallways because of the curious geography I've employed. I figured, witnesses could recognize that a certain person might be meeting with people, but they wouldn't know WHO exactly since they're his own attendants.

Although actually that might all be moot, since I lost track of the time and only just sent in my hold about five minutes ago. Oh well.
02-15-2004 at 11:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Five-Suite Speaking Grounds
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com