Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Beethro's Text Adventure (Runner downloads back online -- New demo version!)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon Re: Beethro's Text Adventure (0)  
I'm definately stuck at the same spot too. That's the one thing I don't like about text games.

02-28-2004 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I get the same error as said above.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-28-2004 at 03:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Heh, beta testing. Welcome to six months of my life ;) I'd help out with testing this, but my schedule is too full as it is. Maybe when I have time, I'll pitch in to shower you with compliments.

02-28-2004 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
My bad. The ADRIFT web site was down yet again, and I thought I'd try to improvise, with not-too-good results. The link should point to the file you need now; just unzip it somewhere and away you go!

I had been worrying about the TALK commands for a while. Truth be told, I was indeed afraid that people would not think of the word they needed to use. However, I didn't want to have it be triggered by just TALKing about any subject, because then asking Dugan about what he had for breakfast today would give a response that seems to not make sense. Have you tried "more help"? If not, do so, because it tells you the format for talking to people.

Let me see... my task for talking to Dugan is:
Click here to view the secret text

P.S. Your input is, obviously, appreciated, so if you think you should be able to just "talk to Dugan" and get the results you need, come right out and say so!

[Edited by Sokko on 02-28-2004 at 02:47 PM GMT]

02-28-2004 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
I think so. I really do. I hated the old guessing game, and this is it.

Aside from that it seems well made.

Would it be too much to ask that it shows you the exits? Like, after the description: Exits: N, S, E, W, [D], {U}.

with [] being a closed door and {} being an open door.

The subject didn't work, by the way.

~joker5

[Edited by joker5 on 02-28-2004 at 04:00 PM GMT]

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-28-2004 at 03:58 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Sokko, nice job in getting the demo done. The room descriptions are quite good, and you did an admirable job of basing them on facts in the stories written so far while adding more of your own details.

I'm not sure how far you want to go, but to make this demo into a game that is fun to play, I think you need descriptions for most of the nouns found in your room descriptions. For example, in the bedroom it says the only thing of interest is the bed. As an IF veteran, I reflexively type "look bed", but it comes back with a disappointing "Beethro see no such thing." (BTW, I think the subject/verb mismatches are completely forgivable to achieve the 3rd-person "Beethro".)

The beginning space before you reach any obstacles is probably too large. I think you might be better served to block off a few areas with a puzzle--for example, don't let people into the Low Spaces until... uh, I dunno, Beethro can disguise himself so that a guy in the Low Spaces who he owes money won't recognize him. Maybe block off the path to the castle with some other puzzle. When you roam through so many rooms without anything to slow you down, you tend to either get overwhelmed by the amount of information or treat rooms as abstract nodes, paying little attention to detail.

Also, the command you suggested with Dugan doesn't work for me.

-Erik

02-28-2004 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
@joker: It shows you the room exits right at the end of each room description, with few exceptions. There's a reason I said you'd want to turn on "Verbose", since you'll miss... well, just about everything there is in the game with it turned off, including items and room exits.

@Erik & joker: That's the literal wording of what I typed into the task creator. Meaning...

@Erik: I would think that, since I give a complete description of the bed in the room description, you wouldn't want to "look" at the bed because no further information could be gained from doing so. I should probably stick in something like "There is nothing on or under the bed, unless it's an invisible bogeyman" if you try to look at it. Or I could take it out of the room description and put it inside the LOOK description. Which would you prefer?

The beginning space before you reach any obstacles is probably too large.

Something I thought of, but couldn't think of a solution for. When you're attempting to not make things look contrived (unless it's tongue-in-cheek, of course), it's that much more difficult. I just thought of something for the castle, and I think I'll take up your idea on the Low Spaces somewhat.

At any rate, it looks like I'll be coming out with a few demo updates, not the least of which will be making the TALK lines easier. That'll come first, though.

02-28-2004 at 10:46 PM
Sokko
Okay, I fixed the TALK lines so you now must simply say "TALK TO DUGAN" and everything will go swimmingly. The problem was actually more complicated than that; I had another task there that I didn't know would override the others, and I moved it to the bottom of the stack so it would work properly.

02-28-2004 at 10:53 PM
RoboBob3000
Yeah... so now I'm stumped with the Supergoblin. I like to think I've tried everything I can try. Any help?

02-29-2004 at 07:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Another thing I'd like to work on is providing in-game hints, so you can type "HINT SUPERGOBLIN" and get the same information I'm giving you right here. Of course, it's gonna cost you a decent chunk of change. :P

Three hints, only read the third if you've read and tried the first two:

02-29-2004 at 02:08 PM
Sokko
New update posted. There's no practical difference from the previous version, except that almost every item mentioned in the room description has a static object associated with it that can be "LOOK"ed at, which upped the object count by 40. I hope I don't hit the limit, whatever it may be. Let me know if there's anything more that needs describing; I left out some things that were already adequately described in the room description (e.g. the houses in the village).

02-29-2004 at 02:42 PM
joker5
The door to the basement is locked... how do you open it? I've talked to Dugan...

~joker5

02-29-2004 at 03:46 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Complete spoiler, too lazy to think of hints...

"Oook!"
02-29-2004 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Where is the dungeon from the king? I haven't found the path there :(

~joker5

02-29-2004 at 06:34 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Nice game! Some suggestions:
-Ability to interact with more objects in Beethro's house.
-A little less space for the player to walk around on in the beginning.
-A better name for the monster in the dungeon. Troll/Ogre maybe?

Otherwise it's great! :yes

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-29-2004 at 07:55 PM
RoboBob3000
Hmm, I know exactly what I'm supposed to do with the Supergoblin (I've talked to Bombus) but I can't seem to find any command that will do anything for me. Frustration!

02-29-2004 at 09:46 PM
Sokko
RoboBob:

Nillo:
"More interactions" might be overkill. What exactly do you want to do? I agree that perhaps the full game would require you to, for example, look under the bed or open the stove to get something, it would only be if you *needed* to do so in order to complete a puzzle. For instance, you don't need a tool from Beethro's guest room to accomplish anything in the demo, so what would be the point of being able to pick one up?

"Restrict available locations at start" is next on my agenda and you should see it soon. You'll note that Erik also pointed this out.

If you read the "Story Construction" thread, you'd know why it's called a Supergoblin. If you haven't, go read it already! I'm going to be basing a lot of the storyline on what can be found there.

@joker5:
Again, I reiterate the need for turning "Verbose" on. If you actually read the room descriptions instead of just skimming over them, you will easily be able to find anything you want and gain some useful information in the process.

However, I will change the text when you
so that it reminds you to go back to Dugan to get your payment.

EDIT: I just went and did that, it was an easy enough addition.

[Edited by Sokko on 02-29-2004 at 10:18 PM GMT]

02-29-2004 at 10:15 PM
RoboBob3000

02-29-2004 at 11:54 PM
The_Red_Hawk
My computer says "Required Library File". Am I missing something?

02-29-2004 at 11:59 PM
joker5
I've looked all over, and I can't find where the dungeon is. It's not in the castle, and it's not in the town, or the low lands as far as I can see. I've found the basement, but it's locked. I'll keep looking...

~joker5

03-01-2004 at 01:39 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Like Joker I can't find the dungeon. I assumed that it would be the basement being a dungeon and all. Obviously its not because its still locked after talking to Dugan.

One intersting thing though. I had to search around to try and get this working and googled

scare text adventures

The first thing on the list is this thread.
03-01-2004 at 08:10 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
The dungeon is located southwest of the castle.

"More interactions" might be overkill. What exactly do you want to do? I agree that perhaps the full game would require you to, for example, look under the bed or open the stove to get something, it would only be if you *needed* to do so in order to complete a puzzle. For instance, you don't need a tool from Beethro's guest room to accomplish anything in the demo, so what would be the point of being able to pick one up?
What's the point of the flavor text on a Magic: The Gathering card? (thanks Dimono) It adds to the feeling to be able to do things with the surroundings, just like buying useless stuff in the market square.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-01-2004 at 11:42 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Can someone help me?

03-01-2004 at 06:59 PM
Sokko
RoboBob: The HELP function is a built-in ADRIFT command that's the same for every game. That is, those are the commands that ADRIFT automatically recognizes, even if you haven't programmed anything whatsoever into your game. You're going to have to do a bit of the thinking yourself. Just a bit. ;) I made the text on this subject a tad clearer, and that'll show up in the next release.

Nillo: If you want to write flavor text and programming for EVERY object in the final game, be my guest. Look at what I just did: Writing flavor text for almost every static object in the demo took up 40 object slots and a goodly amount of time. If I want to get this completed in the next decade, and if I don't want to hit the as-yet-undiscovered object limit, it's best to just keep it simple. I may include more interactions where I can fit them in, but it's really just icing on the cake and is rock bottom on my priority list right now. I'm currently more concerned about gameplay issues, like reducing the large expanse of rooms you have access to at the start of the game. It's not that I have something against juicy interactions or anything. ;)

joker: I can't imagine why you guys can't find the dungeon. It even says in the room description "To the west is the entrance to King Dugan's Dungeon." Can't get more obvious than that, unless you can suggest something different. The area in question is "A Steep Path". And for your sake, I really hope you're playing with Verbose on. Trust me, if there were a way to force it on, I would have done so long ago.
Another little trivial thing: Take a look at the drawing of the dungeon entrance in "Beethro's Story" (the intro on the web site). Does that look like it's inside a basement? Just something I did to be technically accurate.

Red Hawk: I must admit, that one's a stumper. What OS are you running? Is that exactly the message it gives? I'll post it to the friendly people at the ADRIFT forums, but other than that I can't promise anything... it's a problem with the runner rather than the game.

03-01-2004 at 09:57 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Sokko wrote:
Red Hawk: I must admit, that one's a stumper. What OS are you running? Is that exactly the message it gives? I'll post it to the friendly people at the ADRIFT forums, but other than that I can't promise anything... it's a problem with the runner rather than the game.

It says, exactly

Could not find required library file RICHTX32.0SX. Try downloading adrift40.zip and running setup.exe

Then, if I click Ignore,

Could not find required library file ZLIBTOOL.0SX. Try downloading adrift40.zip and running setup.exe

Then, if I click Ignore again,

Problem initialising ADRIFT Runner - Make sure you have installed all the necessary drivers.

Then it exits.

03-02-2004 at 12:02 AM
Scott

File: ZlibTool.zip (119.3 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Other
Thats odd richtx32.ocx is in my windows\\system32 directory.

You can try unzipping this zip file to the directory you put adrift into. I can't be 100% sure it will work for you but try it anyway.
03-02-2004 at 01:36 AM
The_Red_Hawk
What is ADRIFT anyways?

03-02-2004 at 02:15 AM
Scott
Go back and read the first page of the thread. Go to the adrift web site.
03-02-2004 at 03:29 AM
gds
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
Is the link in the font in the first post still valid ? I just get advertisment.
03-02-2004 at 04:19 AM
Sokko

File: files.zip (115.7 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Other
Man, I just love it when everything falls apart. Checking Web1000's hosting policies, it appears that they disable your account if the ratio of other files to HTML files being trafficked gets too large. Meaning that I'm probably going to take up DROD.net on their file hosting offer.

Red Hawk, I've attached the two files you need. Unzip this and put the two files in your Windows\\system32 directory.

03-02-2004 at 08:40 PM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Beethro's Text Adventure (Runner downloads back online -- New demo version!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com