Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : A new setting (Quick import)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
IP: Logged
icon A new setting (0)  
If you select a group of DROD files and press Enter, each file opens DROD. So, first file opens DROD, DROD imports that file, then second file opens DROD again, but DROD is already open! So DROD imports first file, then a lot of errors appear.

If you try to import these files file-by-file, it takes a lot of time.

So this is my idea: if this setting is on, DROD quits automatically after you import a file. It doesn't ask you to select a player before import. And it doesn't show a message after import. And it replaces the old version of hold without asking.

So, normally, this setting is off. If you want to import a lot of files, you turn this setting on and import them file-by-file. Then you turn this setting off and play imported holds, watch imported demos and use imported themes.:smile

Your opinions?:2alien
(yes, again 'your opinions?':sick)

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

05-23-2008 at 08:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: A new setting (0)  
rman wrote:
If you select a group of DROD files and press Enter, each file opens DROD. So, first file opens DROD, DROD imports that file, then second file opens DROD again, but DROD is already open! So DROD imports first file, then a lot of errors appear.
I'm afraid that's mainly because Windows starts the application that's associated with a file type for each of the selected files at the same time, so you'll get a copy of DROD running for each file.

It'd be great if all those secondary copies could pass their file to the first DROD, though, so that they could be imported one after another...

np: The Notwist - Consequence (Neon Golden)

05-23-2008 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
Briareos wrote:
rman wrote:
I'm afraid that's mainly because Windows starts the application that's associated with a file type for each of the selected files at the same time, so you'll get a copy of DROD running for each file.

It'd be great if all those secondary copies could pass their file to the first DROD, though, so that they could be imported one after another...

np: The Notwist - Consequence (Neon Golden)

I understand that it's because Windows opens a new DROD. But I'm not sure is it possible to make Windows import all files into first DROD...

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by rman at 03-19-2014 02:57 PM]
05-24-2008 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
rman wrote:
I understand that it's because Windows onens a new DROD. But I'm not sure is it possible to make Windows import all files into first DROD...
It should be possible through the miracle of inter-process communication. ;)

Try opening Firefox twice on the same machine, for instance - the second firefox instance will just notify the first one to open a new window then terminate again...

np: Autechre - 90101-51-6 (Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae)

05-24-2008 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Briareos wrote:
That would be a nice feature to integrate. I'm guessing that functionality is OS specific, and also I've never implemented anything like that before. I'd have to read up on it (anyone have a Tutorial at hand?) or get someone's help who knows how to program.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-24-2008 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
icon Re: A new setting (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
Briareos wrote:
That would be a nice feature to integrate. I'm guessing that functionality is OS specific, and also I've never implemented anything like that before. I'd have to read up on it (anyone have a Tutorial at hand?) or get someone's help who knows how to program.
I guess using named pipes should be the easiest way - they can only be created on the fly on Windows, and you can create one temporarily in /tmp under Mac OS and Linux.

You treat them much like regular files (or unnamed pipes), so you'll just need another thread that opens and reads from the pipe.

np: Nine Inch Nails - Hurt (The Downward Spiral)

05-24-2008 at 08:14 PM
Jeffrey0
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
Listening on a predefined TCP/IP port (locally only, of course) might be easier than opening a named pipe/socket.
It has some disadvantages of its own as well of course - it'd prevent people from starting multiple different versions at once unless they listen on different ports.
05-25-2008 at 03:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : A new setting (Quick import)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com