Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Selecting room regions bug. (Mac 3.2.0.81)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
IP: Logged
icon Selecting room regions bug. (+1)  
So in the level editor, if I select a large room region, and then accidentally drag my cursor over the edge of the room, and then move back on, the area of room region that was highlighted before I dragged my cursor off the room remains selected, no longer responding to the cursor. And then when I let go of the mouse, the function I was performing doesn't occur. Not a big problem, but it's kind of annoying when I'm trying to add/delete large chunks of wall near room edges.
05-22-2008 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: Selecting room regions bug. (0)  
Out of curiosity, you *are* aware that the current Mac version is 3.2.0.82, right?

This seems to be duplicating for me in build 82... sort of.

It's only occurring if I hit the edge of the building area with enough speed that the screen doesn't update as the cursor passes over the last row/column before leaving the building area. If it managed to highlight/select the edge row/column first, then it seems to work fine still after reentering the building area. However, cheese obsessive's problem *does* manifest if that edge row/column doesn't get selected.

It looks like the program *might* be unable to go back to the normal selection process, so treats it the same as if the cursor was outside the building area when released.

05-22-2008 at 11:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1305
I think that this is a feature. If you click, and don't want to place anything there, drag off the edge and it won't get placed.
05-23-2008 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Someone Else wrote:
I think that this is a feature. If you click, and don't want to place anything there, drag off the edge and it won't get placed.
Yes, the interface was intentionally designed this way. It sounds like something with the region highlighting needs looking at, however.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-23-2008 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Someone Else wrote:

Well, that makes sense, until I accidentally drag it off and want to go back on.

So perhaps make it possible to accidentally drag off and then back on while still being able to highlight, but in the event of not wanting to place something, releasing the mouse after dragging off the room will do what it has been doing?
05-23-2008 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Selecting room regions bug. (+1)  
cheese obsessive wrote:
So in the level editor, if I select a large room region, and then accidentally drag my cursor over the edge of the room, and then move back on, the area of room region that was highlighted before I dragged my cursor off the room remains selected, no longer responding to the cursor. And then when I let go of the mouse, the function I was performing doesn't occur. Not a big problem, but it's kind of annoying when I'm trying to add/delete large chunks of wall near room edges.
I've been able to reproduce this problem on my Mac. It seems that this only happens when you move the mouse cursor outside of the entire game window and back in, right? DROD isn't programmed to respond that way, so I'm assuming it's an OS-specific issue with the event library (SDL). It seems the app loses knowledge of the mouse drag when moving out of the app window, so moving the mouse back in doesn't register mouse location any more. That is, the app still thinks the mouse is outside the app window until you press the button down again. Sorry...I'm not sure this is something I can fix.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-25-2008 12:08 AM]
05-25-2008 at 12:07 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
It happens on Linux too.
05-25-2008 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
mrimer wrote:
cheese obsessive wrote:
I've been able to reproduce this problem on my Mac. It seems that this only happens when you move the mouse cursor outside of the entire game window and back in, right? DROD isn't programmed to respond that way, so I'm assuming it's an OS-specific issue with the event library (SDL). It seems the app loses knowledge of the mouse drag when moving out of the app window, so moving the mouse back in doesn't register mouse location any more. That is, the app still thinks the mouse is outside the app window until you press the button down again. Sorry...I'm not sure this is something I can fix.

Aww, alright, I'll just try to be more careful.

Maybe if that border between the room and the edge of the window could be enlarged...
05-27-2008 at 04:56 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Selecting room regions bug. (+1)  
cheese obsessive wrote:

Maybe if that border between the room and the edge of the window could be enlarged...
Full screen FTW?

05-27-2008 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Briareos wrote:
cheese obsessive wrote:

Full screen FTW?

Hey hey hey, I am a huge fan of multitasking.
05-28-2008 at 06:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Selecting room regions bug. (Mac 3.2.0.81)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com