Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Beethro the Warper?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Beethro the Warper? (0)  
While trying to reproduce another bug, I came across this one:

In the entrance, change Beethro's starting point
Place any number of dungeon elements
Press undo once

Beethro returns to his previous position, and all record of his move is erased.

I'm still using 1.6.4, so if this was fixed then ignore it

01-18-2004 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Beethro the Warper? (0)  
DiMono wrote:
Press undo once

This is a known bug in 1.6 that has been fixed for 1.7. It's minor and harmless, so I don't know whether it will ever be fixed in 1.6.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-18-2004 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181

File: bug problem demo.hold (600 bytes)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Other
mrimer wrote:
DiMono wrote:
Press undo once

This is a known bug in 1.6 that has been fixed for 1.7. It's minor and harmless, so I don't know whether it will ever be fixed in 1.6.
I just tried to make a room that demoed how the bug was significant in 1.6, and discovered that as soon as you return to the main Build screen Beethro returns to his new position. I agree it's pretty minor, but when it comes into play it's a little annoying. I'd like to make my push for this bugfix to make its way in to 1.6.6...

Actually, I found a way to demonstrate that the bug is potentially significant in 1.6. Attached is my demo room that proves it... I strongly recommend only viewing it in the editor, as I have no idea what will happen if you try to play this room.

I moved Beethro, put a serpent over his original location, placed a wall, undid the wall, then put a serpent that overlaps with Beethro's new location. Then I put a dead end so if you felt like trying out the room you could still beat it, though you won't be able to get very far since there are no stairs anywhere.

01-18-2004 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It's true that this bug allows you to create buggy holds - but it's easily fixed by moving Beethro back manually afterwards to where you really want him to be - and this will only be a problem in a hold that no-one playtests anyway; so I don't think it really warrants a patch.

It's not as if it can cause the game to crash, or cause data to become corrupted/changed in a way that's unavoidable/uncontrollable. Those are the only bugs that really must be urgently fixed.

01-18-2004 at 03:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Beethro the Warper?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com