Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Spin Me A Yarn (May Mini-Contest)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
IP: Logged
icon Re: Spin Me A Yarn (+1)  
Well, it's obvious that Hilp is gonna win.

I shall give 6 potatoes to Hilp, I give 3 potatoes to Olze, and I give 2 potatoes to Thunifat.

Yeah, that's right! I found your potato stash! (If people have problems with this, I shall change to 2 potatoes to Olze for fear of wallu clones.)

05-19-2008 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: Spin Me A Yarn (0)  
mrimer thank you for your entry, a quite worrysome tale.

05-19-2008 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Monkey wrote:
And 1 potato goes to that liar's head. :P

By this me thinks you threw a potato at Thufinat the Traveller if that is not true please let me know before the deadline, otherwise he gets to keep it.

05-19-2008 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
If I threw the potato at Thufinat, it would've been at the feet. So no.

05-19-2008 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Monkey wrote:
If I threw the potato at Thufinat, it would've been at the feet. So no.

O.K.

05-19-2008 at 11:57 PM
techant
Well just a few more hours to till voting closes:

I still don't get this untiltime localtime thing so I am going to experiment here while I wait for the voting period to end:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 05-21-2008 07:17 AM]
05-21-2008 at 04:05 AM
techant
icon Re: Spin Me A Yarn (+2)  
For the Storyteller who got the most potatoes!
Our Grand Prize winner is :D :
...Openning the envelope...

Our Second place winner is:

Our Third place winner is:

And The Entry(s) that earned at least 1 potato from our judges, get to keep their potatoes and get the 10 potatoes for entering this contest, also 1 Mod point and a free jug of leaf juice at the bar. They are:

Thanks to all our judges they also will receive a Mod Point as our special thanks.

All prizes have been distributed and notification to the grand counsel was submitted before the deadline.

[Last edited by techant at 05-21-2008 08:04 AM]
05-21-2008 at 07:40 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Spin Me A Yarn (+1)  
I'd like to congratulate mrimer on his effort, as I'm sure you would have gotten more had you not submitted the story halfway through the potato judging.
05-21-2008 at 08:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Thank you techant for coming up with this contest idea. It's a great way to encourage creativity and the potato vote concept was really cute.

The only change I would suggest if such a contest is run again (and I hope it is) is not to set a 30 minute length for stories. Although it was not a mandatory criterion, still it may have put some off entering the contest. Also, I hope that next time we see a hold-style story or two; I'd love to see what people would come up with.

Now I shall relax in my chair by the fire..
05-21-2008 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
noma wrote:
...is not to set a 30 minute length for stories. Although it was not a mandatory criterion, still it may have put some off entering the contest.

Did you think it made it seem you had to write one that was too long or too short?

I think the large number of contest kept writers away as well. I myself wanted to enter 3 other contest that I just didn't have time for it. Noma your contest was great for its simplicity.

I did get a notice that one person was considering making a hold version of their story, but as it was not submitted I guess they ran out of time. I hope they save it for this kind of contest in the future.

I wanted the limit more for video or holds then writing. Yet, I didn't want a story that took two minutes to read either. What is a better way do you all think?

I like suggestions so keep them coming...

05-22-2008 at 12:02 PM
NiroZ
Setting a time limit to do something is a really rough way to go about setting a quality indicator. Some people can just whip up a story in a minute of inspiration, others it make take days of editing over the same work to get it right. Personally I would have advocated the elements that go into the story telling, such as tone (which noma did so well), use storytelling devices and plotting, just to name a few.
05-22-2008 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
NiroZ wrote:
Setting a time limit to do something is a really rough way to go about setting a quality indicator. Some people can just whip up a story in a minute of inspiration, others it make take days of editing over the same work to get it right. Personally I would have advocated the elements that go into the story telling, such as tone (which noma did so well), use storytelling devices and plotting, just to name a few.

WoW
Now I see the problem. I was not trying to limit the time it would take to write it but the time it would take to read it. :blush

05-22-2008 at 06:09 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I forgot to throw some potatoes before I left for Florida, but most of mine would have gone to the winner anyhow.

Good job everyone!
05-23-2008 at 03:06 AM
NiroZ
techant wrote:
WoW
Now I see the problem. I was not trying to limit the time it would take to write it but the time it would take to read it. :blush
The story should take no longer that 30 minutes to either hear, read, play or see the whole thing but it must be long enough to make the guest feel you really told them a story. If you can do that in 5 minutes, great.
It appears I was answering the wrong thing. :blush
05-23-2008 at 03:47 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Spin Me A Yarn (May Mini-Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com