Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Impossible, Or Not? (The First Mini-Contest)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Re: Impossible, Or Not? (0)  
...My goodness. What a terribly inefficient voting system, as it hasn't been presented ahead of time, like techant's was.

"To vote, you just throw these six javelins at people! The more they have sticking out of their body, the better!"

"I don't want to vote like that. That's painful and dubious."

"Now you get two more javelins to throw! Huzzah!"

05-22-2008 at 11:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: Impossible, Or Not? (-2)  
That was funny, and I'm not being sarcastic. Sorry for the inefficiency, but the contest was running a little late and things weren't going so well anymore. But now, the contest has (almost) officially ended. I'll go tell NiroZ the scores.

[Last edited by Mr. Slice at 05-24-2008 07:56 AM]
05-22-2008 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Mr slice, please hurry up in getting the winners submitted. It wouldn't be fair on your participants otherwise.

And if the current judging process doesn't work, why don't you try another one.
05-24-2008 at 03:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
If I can get at least one more judge in here, I think it will be good. Otherwise, I switch. I just need one more judge, then, I'll give the winners.

05-24-2008 at 04:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: Impossible, Or Not? (+1)  
VIPCOOL = 3 :pepsi :pepsi :pepsi
I solved this room because tapping door with my backside worked to open it. Nice redherring.

hartleyhair= 2 :pepsi :pepsi
It was not too hard to pick out which was which but the possible room was fun.

mxvladi= 1 :pepsi
Well the one with the loose rockgolum is the one I completed. In the other you can not get away from the 4 rock giants and even if you had a sword. Then without one how would you kill them.

Doom =1 :pepsi
I didn't figure out which one but well done and obeyed the rules. Lots of tricky distractions but a little too hard for me.

Mazer =1 :pepsi
OK I could be at this for hours trying to move that Amlich around so I won't, but very nice concept with the arrows.

Ptanzoricis = 0 :nugget
The rooms look simular but they are not Arrow and extra booms make it seem impossible to reach the mimic potion in one room and not the other. The scroll tells me the rules were not followed so I gave up. Too much stuff.

I had tried all of these but had not gotten a chance to vote yet.
So glad I could finally use that pepsi :pepsi smilie. As to the comments about the voting options of myself and this contest. The rules discouraged using a poll. So we had to be creative. Good job Mr. Slice.

[Last edited by techant at 05-24-2008 07:42 AM]
05-24-2008 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Well, it's Saturday over here. Meaning that the judging has closed down. Here is the score as followed:

First Place: VIPCOOL with 4 points
Second Place: Doom with 3 points
Third Place: hartleyhair with 3 points
------------------------------------------
Fourth Place: Ptanzorics with 2 points
Fifth Place: TIED with 6th

Thanks for participating, everyone! I'll go announce the winners and judges, then I'll go award some points over various old posts so I don't lose it all before I finish modding everyone.

[Last edited by Mr. Slice at 05-24-2008 08:08 AM]
05-24-2008 at 07:52 AM
NiroZ
If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you come to the final score? Where are the decimals coming from?
05-24-2008 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
I'm sorry, but 2nd and 3rd both had 3 points. Hmm, perhaps instead of this, I can make a... I forget the name of it, but I can give them both 3 points instead of 2 and 4. Yeah, that would work.

Well, same thing goes for 5th and 6th place, but I can just make them tied.

05-24-2008 at 08:07 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Um, I think you should recheck the figures, Mr. Slice: I gave Ptanzoricis 3 points, and between Techant and I, only 2 points were awarded to hartleyhair.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 05-24-2008 08:21 AM]
05-24-2008 at 08:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Then why don't you judge the entries as well, in order to break the tie.
05-24-2008 at 08:15 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Impossible, Or Not? (+6)  
Anyways, now that the judging's over, as promised, here's my thoughts and comments on the various holds in more detail. There will be spoilers.

hartleyhair: (Im)Possible?
Click here to view the secret text

Doom: Beethro's Assistant

mxvladi: Rock Giant

VIPCOOL: Im-possible?

Mazer: Mission Impossible

Ptanzoricis: The dungeon of parallel realities.

=====

In the end, I decided between the holds based on the following criteria:
* Whether they succeeded in making an impossible room
* If the room was impossible, how long did it take to convince me that I couldn't break it
* If the room wasn't impossible, how difficult was it to break
* How innocent or subtle the difference between the rooms were
* How much effort seemed to have gone into the hold
* How much fun I had working through the rooms

I didn't disqualify holds that had both rooms possible, but those holds suffered in rating as a result. Of the three holds that failed to create an impossible room, hartleyhair's seemed the best, especially since it took a nice trick and a great deal of efficiency to solve it. However, it lost out due to how different the two rooms felt: not only in puzzle-type, but in urgency and feel.

It really came down to Doom's entry vs Ptanzoricis's entry - simplicity vs complexity. And I was really torn where to break the tie. But... I love puzzles. I had a lot of fun with Ptanzoricis's entry, especially with trying to break the impossible room. And although the second room *was* more obviously restrictive... the different elements around obscured whether it was truly impossible or not. So my personal preference awarded the extra point to Ptanzoricis's hold.

05-24-2008 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Impossible, Or Not? (The First Mini-Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com