Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : High Score Problems ("There are no high scores for this room")
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2386
IP: Logged
icon High Score Problems (+3)  
Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this post seems ill-tempered or bad-mannered. I certainly applaud all the hard work of the kind folks monitoring these forums and those involved in the development of DROD. I know firsthand that working on software and dealing with demanding users can often be a thankless task.

I am starting to feel exasperated about the high score situation. :weep I feel that if I have paid for a CaravelNet subscription, one of the main reasons for owning the subscription should function correctly. Instead, high scores for all holds (visible upon pressing F6) continue to exhibit the following problems after many months of waiting for a fix:

- The room claims that "There are no high scores for this room" even though later reloads often show the high scores.
- Demos show as grayed out (this seems to be less the case recently)
- The game complains that a downloaded demo is corrupted, although subsequent attempts at downloading the same demo work successfully
- Demos have the wrong move count
- Demos show up from the wrong room
- Clicking on one person's demo downloads a different demo

I am using the released version (3.1.0 OS X), and not a beta. So it seems that these problems should have been worked out by now. I know that everyone's time is limited with day jobs, school, trying to get the next great game out on time, etc. And I'm sure it really is more fun to develop the next cool feature rather than fix bugs in the old code. But this is something that is really starting to detract from this wonderful game, and I wanted to bring it to the forefront.

Thanks for listening.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-11-2008 09:24 AM]
04-11-2008 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: High Score Problems (+1)  
disoriented wrote:
- The room claims that "There are no high scores for this room" even though later reloads often show the high scores.
- The game complains that a downloaded demo is corrupted, although subsequent attempts at downloading the same demo work successfully
I've never seen this issue myself... Mike?
- Demos show as grayed out (this seems to be less the case recently)
This should be 100% fixed as of a week or so ago.
- Demos show up from the wrong room
- Clicking on one person's demo downloads a different demo
These are all related. The source of the problem is fixed, and the symptoms are near fixed as well - I'm trying to match up the last of the incorrectly attributed scores, then in one pass I'll fix all of them that I possibly can.

04-11-2008 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: High Score Problems (0)  
Schik wrote:
disoriented wrote:
I've never seen this issue myself... Mike?
I'm not going to fuel the highscore debate further, but would like to add that I get the same issue as described. Chances of F6 actually displaying the right demos and allowing me to download them are about 1 in 3.

Same happens with the chat window (for example first time a partial list, 2nd time - "No players present" and 3rd time lucky).
04-11-2008 at 07:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Syntax wrote:
I'm not going to fuel the highscore debate further, but would like to add that I get the same issue as described. Chances of F6 actually displaying the right demos and allowing me to download them are about 1 in 3.

Same happens with the chat window (for example first time a partial list, 2nd time - "No players present" and 3rd time lucky).
I'm not trying to debate anything, I believe that it happens, I just don't see it and can't reproduce it. Thus it's hard to diagnose and fix.

04-11-2008 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
I was just saying that I get the same issue. If there's any info I can provide that would help, let me know...

This bug is definitely not:
a) ISP
b) OS
c) DROD version (since TCB)
04-11-2008 at 09:29 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
To corroborate what disoriented and Syntax have said here, I've also noticed (since TCB came out last year) that F6 sometimes gets confused. I also posted about it before. It's quite likely that Schik hasn't noticed the random F6 problems because he has healthier habits than Syntax. The longer you play at one sitting and the more F6 queries you make, the more confused F6 gets.

Just now, I clicked through F6 on 5 different published holds (beta holds on CNet have this problem too though) for about 30 different rooms before I got a list of demos off CNet that I knew was wrong. Clicking F6 again brought up the correct list. I think the problem is random, but if necessary, I can post an example list of F6 queries that produced an erroneous list.
04-11-2008 at 10:00 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I think the problem is random, but if necessary, I can post an example list of F6 queries that produced an erroneous list.

I get the "There are no high scores for this room" message from time to time. 90% of the time I'm awaiting a high score message that has failed to arrive. My procedure for refreshing these is to reenter the room, hit F6, and even if the scores fail to load, close the demo window again. What place I've recieved generally arrives shortly thereafter, and once it has, F6 tends to function correctly.

In my case at least this problem is much more severe if I have a lot of my bandwidth tied up, but sometimes will happen even when I have plenty free. Its also tied to the lag between rooms that can be associated with CNet at times.

So I don't know if other people are having problems for other reasons, but at least some of this seems to be a communication issue with the server, and if people are getting it even with a solid connection, some of that may be on the Caravel end. This holds true for the JTRH version as well as the TCB version.

Personally, the error where the wrong demos get listed I've only experienced since the spider went buggy.

04-12-2008 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
It's not a bandwidth issue... and to save you time, returning to the game and hitting F6 should give you another chance - no need to leave the room.
04-12-2008 at 02:54 AM
Schik
So it sounds like there are two F6 issues:

- It shows the "no scores" message
- It shows highscores from a different room.

The "no scores" thing is probably a timeout - either the DROD server is overwhelmed and returning your query too slowly, or your connection is overwhelmed or spotty. I know there are occasional load issues on the server.

The "wrong room" issue that CSR mentioned... That's very odd, if it's ever consistently reproducible, it'd be great to know how.

04-12-2008 at 03:07 AM
Beef Row
Syntax wrote:
It's not a bandwidth issue... and to save you time, returning to the game and hitting F6 should give you another chance - no need to leave the room.

Well, I'm usually using it immediately after finishing a room to see where I placed, hence the reentry, to look at my new score.

04-12-2008 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
pigletto
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
I've seen this as well, but I got the impression that it wasn't random at all, I think that it shows the demos for the previous room you had a demo selected for on the demo list (though I could be wrong).

With this idea, the time it shows 'no highscores for this room' is when you only just came onto the demo list, so there was no 'previous room' to show highscores for.
04-12-2008 at 01:26 PM
disoriented
Schik wrote:
So it sounds like there are two F6 issues:

- It shows the "no scores" message
- It shows highscores from a different room.

The "no scores" thing is probably a timeout - either the DROD server is overwhelmed and returning your query too slowly, or your connection is overwhelmed or spotty. I know there are occasional load issues on the server.

The "wrong room" issue that CSR mentioned... That's very odd, if it's ever consistently reproducible, it'd be great to know how.

I was trying this at 2am last night (darn insomnia) and would get the "no high scores" about 95% of the time I pressed F6. I wouldn't guess that the servers would be overloaded that time of night.

04-12-2008 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Of course, people do play overseas (wherever you are) as well.

04-12-2008 at 04:32 PM
disoriented
zex20913 wrote:
Of course, people do play overseas (wherever you are) as well.

Valid point. I'm in Arizona for what it's worth.

I should note that after pressing F6, the game would display "Downloading Data..." before giving up and claiming there were no high scores. So it could potentially be some sort of a timeout issue.

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-12-2008 04:38 PM]
04-12-2008 at 04:37 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
disoriented wrote:
I was trying this at 2am last night (darn insomnia) and would get the "no high scores" about 95% of the time I pressed F6. I wouldn't guess that the servers would be overloaded that time of night.
Actually this is when I always experience the server to be the slowest, between ~2am and ~5am Pacific Time. Try it at 2pm your time. :)
04-12-2008 at 10:15 PM
disoriented
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
disoriented wrote:
Actually this is when I always experience the server to be the slowest, between ~2am and ~5am Pacific Time. Try it at 2pm your time. :)

It also seems somewhat linked to the room in question. For instance: I'm playing Simon's Dungeon right now. Fifth Level 3N and 3N1E never load their high scores. But 3N2E loads fine.

I know that dungeon designers can set certain rooms not to track high scores, but I don't think that's what's going on here.

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-12-2008 10:33 PM]
04-12-2008 at 10:32 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
disoriented wrote:
It also seems somewhat linked to the room in question. For instance: I'm playing Simon's Dungeon right now. Fifth Level 3N and 3N1E never load their high scores. But 3N2E loads fine.

I know that dungeon designers can set certain rooms not to track high scores, but I don't think that's what's going on here.
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. Fifth Level 3N and 3N1E are indeed non-highscorable.

You can check this by clicking on the trophy icon under one of your posts to see your own highscores. For Simon's Dungeon it shows that you have completed 109/112 highscorable rooms. If you click on the 109/112 link there, you can see which highscorable rooms you really are missing.
04-12-2008 at 10:44 PM
disoriented
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
disoriented wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. Fifth Level 3N and 3N1E are indeed non-highscorable.

You can check this by clicking on the trophy icon under one of your posts to see your own highscores. For Simon's Dungeon it shows that you have completed 109/112 highscorable rooms. If you click on the 109/112 link there, you can see which highscorable rooms you really are missing.

Hmm interesting... I don't see why those rooms would be singled out as non-highscorable.
In any case, to avoid confusing us lowly Delvers, perhaps the next version of DROD could indicate that "This room is not highscorable" on the F6 screen? ;)

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-12-2008 10:53 PM]
04-12-2008 at 10:53 PM
Beef Row
wallu wrote:
There are many rooms in released holds which should have high-score but they don't because there were problems with high-score verification and scores were assigned to wrong rooms. Therefore, 1-move demo of a other room has removed high-scores of some rooms. I suspect that that is the reason here.

When the spider is rechecking demos, is it able to reinstate rooms this has happened to? Or is that something for a later repair phase?

04-13-2008 at 02:41 AM
Schik
Beef Row wrote:
When the spider is rechecking demos, is it able to reinstate rooms this has happened to? Or is that something for a later repair phase?
No, it's not. Demos that are removed because a room has a 1-move solution are immediately discarded. It's tempting to change that so that things like this could be fixed in the future, but we already have some issues with the number of demos we save.

I can always re-enable high scores for specific rooms that this has happened to (if someone can list rooms that should be scoreable, but aren't), but people would have to start over on the highscores.

04-13-2008 at 02:56 AM
Beef Row
Schik wrote:
I can always re-enable high scores for specific rooms that this has happened to (if someone can list rooms that should be scoreable, but aren't), but people would have to start over on the highscores.

Once they are fixed, reuploading a demo should work fine, right? So it wouldn't be strictly down to replaying only, though it would tend to purge inactive players from the score list. And it seems like most of the powerplayers on scoring keep at least their best demo for almost everything, so this might not be that terrible overall.

04-13-2008 at 03:05 AM
Syntax
Schik wrote:
It's tempting to change that so that things like this could be fixed in the future, but we already have some issues with the number of demos we save.
Please provide a "donate" option or give me a way to help financially. Sounds like more hardware would be beneficial.

I think the DROD phenomenon, with regards to the online community, has grown beyond what anyone could imagine and thus needs a fresh injection of funds.

Seriously...
04-17-2008 at 10:06 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Buy another copy of TCB and give it to somebody?
04-18-2008 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
icon Re: High Score Problems (+2)  
Banjooie wrote:
Buy another copy of TCB and give it to somebody?
Done... twice.

[EDIT]

And 4 Caravelnet subscriptions.

[Last edited by Syntax at 04-18-2008 12:33 PM]
04-18-2008 at 12:26 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Syntax wrote:
Schik wrote:
It's tempting to change that so that things like this could be fixed in the future, but we already have some issues with the number of demos we save.
Please provide a "donate" option or give me a way to help financially. Sounds like more hardware would be beneficial.

I think the DROD phenomenon, with regards to the online community, has grown beyond what anyone could imagine and thus needs a fresh injection of funds.

Seriously...

I agree.
04-18-2008 at 01:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
That would be appreciated as well.
04-19-2008 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Mmmm, I don't think presenting a donate option puts out the right image for a paying software project, especially one that is working on building affiliations with more serious developers and entering into a more professional level. It'd be a nice option but advertising it would probably be a bad idea.

<b>Potential New Customer</b> Wrote: Well, this game looks cool and all, but wait a minute.. they want me to pay for it and STILL expect donations? This looks like sort of a pushy company, and probably financially disorganized. I think I'll pass.

I guess if it was just a little post tucked away somewhere on the forum (like this one) it'd probably be alright, but I wouldn't want to see this up on the DROD webpage.

Merchandise on the other hand, would be cool without risking a bad image (though it would bring in less money, unless had a basement slave make T-Shirts at home or something.)

04-21-2008 at 11:46 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Schik wrote:
disoriented wrote:
These are all related. The source of the problem is fixed, and the symptoms are near fixed as well - I'm trying to match up the last of the incorrectly attributed scores, then in one pass I'll fix all of them that I possibly can.
I wonder - is this supposed to be fixed? Because the #1 demo for 4 West here is definitely wrong - it's listed as 16 moves, but in-game it really is 109 moves...

The same goes for my #1 score for 2 East here, which is much longer than the reported 54 moves. (I've tried having the spider re-check it, so it might be gone soon...)

np: Justus Köhncke - $26 (Safe And Sound)

04-22-2008 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Briareos wrote:
Because the #1 demo for 4 West here is definitely wrong - it's listed as 16 moves, but in-game it really is 109 moves...

The same goes for my #1 score for 2 East here, which is much longer than the reported 54 moves. (I've tried having the spider re-check it, so it might be gone soon...)
I've noticed there were certain days in January where all submitted demos have the wrong movecount. I these days include early January through January 15th. Both demos in Briareos' post were from that time period. Indeed, having the spider re-check them corrects the movecount. (I have already done this with most of my demos from that time in January.)

EDIT: This problem has been fixed. Schik had the spider reverify all demos submitted in January. Thanks Schik!

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 04-25-2008 06:56 AM]
04-22-2008 at 08:55 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Odd. I *should* have a number 1 highscore for Mysteries of the Deep:Fifteenth level:2N, I mean, my demo clearly states that I've done 56 moves compared to the current 61. But as far as caravelnet knows, I haven't submitted a score in that room.

Hmm, I've reuploaded the score again, but I can't see why this should be happening in the first place.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-07-2008 08:10 AM]
05-07-2008 at 08:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : High Score Problems ("There are no high scores for this room")
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com