Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Hot tile Switchers (aka stove dials)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon Hot tile Switchers (0)  
I always figured that Hot tiles were actually really big stoves for the Empire (Do you know how hard it is to get citizens to eat roach queen spawn, every day?), but I'm fairly certain that all stove tops have a dial to adjust their intensity, like when you want your roaches simmered, instead of flashfried. The basic game mechanic is that every time you walk over it, it rotates between off, low heat, medium heat, and high heat. This gives the number of turns it takes to kill monsters after they have stopped moving (infinite, 5, 3, and 1 respectively) as well as the overall color of the tile.

Puzzle potential is easy. You start off with a bunch of hot tiles off and roaches to spawn at way more than 30 a cycle, and you have to figure out a way to get the hot tiles on to make it possible to start killing mothers. Or you can have timing puzzles, wherein you need to trap a roach queen running away from you on a hot tile of a certain warmth to prevent a brained roach from killing you.

Alternately, or in addition, monsters, especially rock golems, are heat resistant, and so must be trapped on a hot tile that is on high to be killed. This could lead to a dial you could only hit once (with eg. trapdoors) and would need to get all of your golems packed in efficiently, otherwise the room wouldn't be completable.

Note, I assume you can set the initial temperature of the hot tiles, which the dial will pick up on and use as it's temp.

[Last edited by aztcg7 at 03-24-2008 06:14 AM : I can't proofread.]
03-24-2008 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
IP: Logged
icon Re: Hot tile Switchers (0)  
aztcg7 wrote:
The basic game mechanic is that every time you walk over it, it rotates between off, low heat, medium heat, and high heat.

Or you can use a 'Cold Tiles Token', a 'Little Hot Tiles Token', a 'Medium Hot Tiles Token' and a 'Very Hot Tiles Token'. :wacko

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

04-03-2008 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Hot tile Switchers (aka stove dials)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com