Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Shocker Potion
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Shocker Potion (0)  
After used, Shocker Potion electrifies Beethro.

Next creature to touch (attack) Beethro dies instead, and Beethro is still alive. After that, the effect expires.
Doesn't work on serpents, it would be too cheap.

Certain puzzles could force player into thinking when to use potion (allow to be touched).
With such a potion Beethro could perform otherwise suicidal action, but only once.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
01-06-2004 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Shocker Potion (0)  
I like this idea. How about, as a modification, any monsters that are also touching the first one also die? Perhaps up to a certain point--only 10 total, or only up to 5 squares away--but there could be some interesting puzzles with lining the monsters up just right before allowing them to hit you. Like lining up wraithwings to get a brain on a little island (which you couldn't reach with a mimic).

Actually, I wouldn't really care if every single monster that was touching the first one also died--it's up to the room author to make the room in such a way as to avoid making this a trivial solution (or make the puzzle be surviving long enough to actually accomplish that). But I imagine people would think it is too powerful...I'm not sure if I do yet, it depends on how it would really work in practice.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-06-2004 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
It may be necessary to have that effect with the sword as well, to feasibly get the scenario Onei spoke of. (I.E., lined up wraithwings won't attack often, and Beethro bumps them, not suicides.)

01-07-2004 at 06:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Perhaps it simply electrifies his sword then he can use it to create a chain reaction?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-07-2004 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Rank Points: 336
That's a good idea; make it have an unlimited number of creatures it can chain to, and make it limited to Beethro's sword. After all, the sword is metal, so it should be easier to charge with electricity. I can see puzzles where you have to outmaneuver a hopelessly large horde of monsters until you can get to the Shocker Potion and dispense them all with a single strike. Mwahahahaha! :sly

01-11-2004 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Sure, you can even say the way you use the potion is to dip Beethro's sword into it. Hell, you could even make it that Beethro dies if he steps on the potion instead of hitting it with his sword, but that would be really confusing/counterintuitive so I don't think that would be a good idea. You can just say that stepping on the potion means Beethro picks it up and pours it on his sword.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-11-2004 at 08:42 PM
The_Red_Hawk
What if he hits an orb while his sword is electrified?

Perhaps all monsters touching the affected doors die?

01-12-2004 at 12:04 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I don't think the orb would carry the electricity through the air with it...it has it's own.

01-12-2004 at 04:45 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
So striking an orb nullifies the electrical charge in Beethro's sword, as it acts as ground for the purpose of electricity?

01-12-2004 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Perhaps putting the sword in anything electrifies it and so either conducts the electricity into the ground and nullifies the effect, or you could as well as electrify monsters, electrify an entire tar mass as well, killing everything in it and possibly anything touching it as well.

01-12-2004 at 05:26 PM
Sokko
Rank Points: 336
Yes... for the purposes of not creating hordes of angry tar babies, we can say that the living tar merely acts as a passive conductor of electricity, and if struck by an electrified sword the electricity will travel through the entire mass and kill any normal monster touching it; if that monster has other monsters touching it, those will be killed as well, continuing the chain reaction. The same goes for snakes too; they are not harmed, but they will electrify any monster touching them when struck (at any point).

01-16-2004 at 12:48 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Would anything else have an effect? What about the (perhaps) to-be rattlesnake? Would it also be immune?

01-16-2004 at 05:24 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
I think snakes should be stunned until the next spawn cycle, and anything touching the snake should be reduced to ash with a suitably hilarious squeeking noise.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-19-2004 at 12:23 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Shocker Potion
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes