Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : A quite complicated bug (regarding movement order, half-turns and eyes waking up)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
IP: Logged

File: Stalwart.bmp (17.4 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A quite complicated bug (+2)  
See attached image. Stalwart moves first.
He'll step in front of the eye, which will wake up and will instantly kill him. However, if you are under the effect of a speed potion, then the Stalwart will move in front of the eye, the eye will only wake up half a turn later and won't move when the next full turn comes, thus giving the Stalwart the chance to kill it.
03-01-2008 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: A quite complicated bug (0)  
Dex Stewart wrote:
See attached image. Stalwart moves first.
He'll step in front of the eye, which will wake up and will instantly kill him. However, if you are under the effect of a speed potion, then the Stalwart will move in front of the eye, the eye will only wake up half a turn later and won't move when the next full turn comes, thus giving the Stalwart the chance to kill it.
Thanks for the report. Hmm...okay, I can imagine how this happens. I've fixed evil eyes in build 60 so that when they see a target, they will wake up immediately if the target isn't hasted, even if the player is. I'm considering clones to be hasted when the player is.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-01-2008 06:42 PM]
03-01-2008 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
It's with anything, I think. It's not a new bug - it's down to Speed Potion behavior. Stalwarts move first, so on any given full turn, they'll move before eyes. But Eyes require a half-turn's worth of sight in order to wake up.

Standard KDD rules say they move on the turn they wake up. Speed Potion rules say they can't move on a half-turn.

The only *easy* way to reconcile this, I think, is to allow Evil Eyes to move on the exact turn/half-turn they wake up on. This may break some demos however, and there's the potential for room breakage too... I don't have any details on that this early.

Anyways, nice job spotting it.
03-01-2008 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
The only *easy* way to reconcile this, I think, is to allow Evil Eyes to move on the exact turn/half-turn they wake up on.
I didn't think that is the issue here. Rather, that the eye simply isn't waking up on the first turn it sees the stalwart when the player is hasted. I've fixed this so it doesn't take the eye two half-turns to wake up when it sees the stalwart. Hence, it will be able to move immediately to kill the stalwart, since the stalwart only moves on full turn steps.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-01-2008 06:49 PM]
03-01-2008 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Well, I was more thinking that the whole "eye must see something for half a turn before it wakes up" as a more important constant. (Example: what happens if the player closes a door that blocks the eye's sight before the eye gets a full half-turn glimpse of the Stalwart? Is this consistent?)

On the flipside, a hasted Beethro that moves on full turns and waits on half turns *would* wake up an eye that would kill him on the correct turn. So I can certainly see *that* logic. (On the reverse side to *that*, a hasted Beethro that moves on full turns and waits on half turns would cause fuses he lights to start up faster than if he were simply unhasted... but meh - trying to follow that logic with everything gets a little sticky)
03-01-2008 at 07:20 PM
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
Well, I was more thinking that the whole "eye must see something for half a turn before it wakes up" as a more important constant. (Example: what happens if the player closes a door that blocks the eye's sight before the eye gets a full half-turn glimpse of the Stalwart? Is this consistent?)
Consider when a stalwart moves into an eye's line of sight and the player is not hasted. The eye immediately attacks the stalwart, even though the stalwart has technically not been waiting in front of it a full turn, but actually just moved there. We're going to keep it working just like that when the player is hasted.

03-01-2008 at 07:31 PM
TFMurphy
Yes, I realise, I'm just wondering if it'll feel like an inconsistency compared to allowing a just woken eye to move on a half-turn. I fully agree with the end result of the entire turn+halfturn mechanic resulting in the same effect as when unhasted.

It just has the possibility of seeming a little strange that an eye could react differently to a half-turn glimpse of a stationary Stalwart compared to a half-turn glimpse of a stationary Decoy.

03-01-2008 at 07:42 PM
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
It just has the possibility of seeming a little strange that an eye could react differently to a half-turn glimpse of a stationary Stalwart compared to a half-turn glimpse of a stationary Decoy.
Oh, I think that stalwarts and decoys should affect evil eyes in the same way, and would consider this a bug that affected both of them.

03-01-2008 at 07:45 PM
TFMurphy
Yes, I just noticed that Build 60 treats Decoys as non-hasted with regards to Evil Eyes (although they and Characters are treated as hasted with regards to sword hits). Hmmm. Make that a difference between stationary Clones and stationary Stalwarts then.

Eh, whichever way it goes, we'll cope. I'll just note it as a new exception then.
03-01-2008 at 07:51 PM
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
Hmmm. Make that a difference between stationary Clones and stationary Stalwarts then.
As you'd imagine, the rationale here is that Clones are treated specially because they do have the potential of moving during half-turns when the player is hasted, while other entities don't. It is quirky, but I figure giving the player that extra control with speed potions makes it more useful.

03-02-2008 at 04:08 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : A quite complicated bug (regarding movement order, half-turns and eyes waking up)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com