Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : My DROD project
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
IP: Logged
icon Re: My DROD project (0)  
Saving entire rooms might be easier. You could basically copy the Rooms Viewdef into a new sub-table "ExploredRooms" of SavedGames. Whenever you enter a room, check to see if it's in ExploredRooms. If it is, then use that. If not, then copy that room from Rooms to ExploredRooms, and as anything changes - door states, trapdoors, broken walls, and monsters, and whatever else you come up with - modify the room in the ExploredRooms table.

I make it sound more trivial than it is, but judging by your progress so far, I think you'd breeze through it.

Saved games will have a LOT more stuff in them than in DROD, so you might want to make checkpoints a little more scarce.

01-21-2004 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
MarvinTheRobot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
Saving entire rooms might be easier. You could basically copy the Rooms Viewdef into a new sub-table "ExploredRooms" of SavedGames. Whenever you enter a room, check to see if it's in ExploredRooms. If it is, then use that. If not, then copy that room from Rooms to ExploredRooms, and as anything changes - door states, trapdoors, broken walls, and monsters, and whatever else you come up with - modify the room in the ExploredRooms table.
i think you're right, saving the whole rooms might be easier, and provides a much greater freedom for future improvements/ aditions.

however i'm not sure what would be the best way to do it... if i replicate the room's view in the SavedGame view i think i would have to rewrite all the CDbRoom code in DbSavedGames to read/write the rooms.

i've come up with this: what if i store the saved rooms just like standard rooms (in the rooms view) and add a SavedGameID property to the rooms view, so that when loading/ saving them, one would pass two keys: the RoomId and a SavedGameID. standard hold rooms would have a SavedGameID == 0, while proper 'saved game' rooms would have a SavedGameID indicating wich saved game they 'belong' to.

there is of course a third way of doing this, wich is to use the standard DROD way of recording commands, but i would have to record commands for all visited rooms, and when i add an inventory to the game i would also have to add a list of objects to each room. i think it wouldnt work for this project.

please tell me what you think!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
01-21-2004 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
I originally started writing an answer like what you suggested here, but changed it just in case that was too confusing.

I think that's a pretty good solution, but Mike is the man when it comes to the mk stuff.

01-21-2004 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
One thing, Marvin, if you want to make this much simpler: Use save slots instead of the complicated stuff we've got going on in the Restore Screen. In a game where you have persistent inventory, stats, and other attributes that carry between rooms, it isn't extremely useful to allow a player to restore to any room they've been. If you are building up your character during the game in standard RPG fashion, you rarely want to go back in time to where you've been, because that means rolling back all your character-building progress. Depending on your game design goals, you might even disallow explicit saving to multiple slots and just give the player one slot per character. (I think Angband does this, which makes for some nerve-wracking, but dramatic situations when you can't meta-game your way around risks.)

A fairly easy way to save games: When a new game is begun, create a new .dat file with a "working copy" of all the levels, rooms, etc. We have functions in CDbBase that open dat files and return views from them. You'd change these around a bit so that certain views would be returned from the "working copy" database instead of the "hold" database. The "working copy" database can change based on which slot the player chooses to restore from.

Now, here's the nice part: When the player leaves a room, just call CDbRoom::Update() and changes for that room are saved. I mean, that should work right now with no extra coding. You can just get rid of the "saved games" view, although you may want to have some kind of slot management view in the players.dat file to keep the associations between slots and working copy .dat files.

-Erik

01-22-2004 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Yes, I also say that simply creating a separate set of .dat files for each player's game and calling Update on each room is the way to go. The saved game record can be simplified to only store the player's current room, position, and stats.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-22-2004 at 04:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
Just one question:
If an enemy has more than 1 hit point, do you have to swing your sword back and forth to damage it, or can you simply press your sword against the enemy until it dies?

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-22-2004 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
As those of us who were around back when Webfoot DROD was all the rage know, the save game slots method is how saves were handled in that version. I made very good use of them, as I recall.

Most Rogue-likes (ADOM, Angband, Rogue, Nethack, etc) only allow you one save game per character: here is your guy, his life is basically linear. On a separate note, have you decided whether you're running line of sight as unlimited to a wall, or with a range? Both have their advantages.

And Nillo, I'm sure that question will be answered when Marvin feels like dropping us a testing version ;)

01-23-2004 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MarvinTheRobot
If an enemy has more than 1 hit point, do you have to swing your sword back and forth to damage it, or can you simply press your sword against the enemy until it dies?
you'll have to wait for that one. i have some pretty neat ideas that you'll be able to test when a preview version comes out. ;)
Most Rogue-likes (ADOM, Angband, Rogue, Nethack, etc) only allow you one save game per character: here is your guy, his life is basically linear.
i agree with the three of you. one save slot per character makes the player much more careful with what he does.
And Nillo, I'm sure that question will be answered when Marvin feels like dropping us a testing version
a testing version will be posted as soon as i have enough features implemented. i will then create a small level for you to test and report ideas/suggestions.
On a separate note, have you decided whether you're running line of sight as unlimited to a wall, or with a range? Both have their advantages.
i think limiting the view to the nearby walls gives a great feeling of actually being there. see the last screenshot posted (on bottom of page 2 i think) for an example.

cheers,

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
01-23-2004 at 11:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
MarvinTheRobot wrote:
i think limiting the view to the nearby walls gives a great feeling of actually being there. see the last screenshot posted (on bottom of page 2 i think) for an example.
I think you've misinterpreted my question. Let me give an example:

If there's a corridor that goes all the way across the screen, will the player be able to see the entire length of the corridor, or only a certain number of squares?

01-23-2004 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MarvinTheRobot
I think you've misinterpreted my question. Let me give an example:

If there's a corridor that goes all the way across the screen, will the player be able to see the entire length of the corridor, or only a certain number of squares?
right, i did misinterpret it! ;)

i'm not sure about that yet, the LOS algorithm i have can limit the view to any number of i want, but its currently set to 38 so that it 'goes' all across the room. i will try diferent values with it to see how it goes. maybe what i can do is progressively darken tiles, so the further they are from the swordsman, darker they are.

01-23-2004 at 03:49 PM
DiMono
MarvinTheRobot wrote:
maybe what i can do is progressively darken tiles, so the further they are from the swordsman, darker they are.
Neat idea, and it makes sense. Is that legal?

P.S. I sent you an email yesterday with an obvious title, did you get it?

01-23-2004 at 04:13 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Maybe some levels could be darker than others?

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-23-2004 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Nillo wrote:
Maybe some levels could be darker than others?
You mean controlling the lighting on the level?

Edit: for what it's worth, this is post 900 for me. Pretty anticlimactic, eh?

[Edited by DiMono on 01-23-2004 at 09:17 PM GMT]

01-23-2004 at 09:17 PM
MarvinTheRobot
hey there,

just though of posting a quick message to assure you that i am (definetely... i think) still alive! i've been rather distracted, as of lately, by 1) college (sooner or later i'll have to finish that thing), 2) a neat little thing i've for so long been meaning to start learning called opengl and finally 3) an unexpected twist in my lifestyle, wich has me now working on a linux machine, and while thats a fairly ok thing, i still have to gather some strengh before i set myself to the daunting task of compiling DROD in it :P

03-19-2004 at 03:06 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Well, if you're overpowered, don't feel that you have to finish this really soon. I'm sure that most of us can wait.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-20-2004 at 01:28 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: My DROD project (+2)  
If you are interested in opengl check out NeHe Productions

If you want to check out directx have a look at Drunken Hyena
03-21-2004 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Man, I'm sorry to bump an old old thread, but, this game looked awesome, and I want to play it. It is dead?

02-19-2007 at 07:02 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
That was quite a bump ^^;
Hmm, I shouldn't be talking, I wasn't here for few months... Again ^^;

Though, from what I see, MarvinTheRobot last time posted something back in 2004, so I'm quite sure it is either dead or silent... Hopefully silent, because DROD RPG is neat idea...

From the other side I feel motivated to work on my Drodish Metroid...

-Maurice

02-22-2007 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : My DROD project
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com