Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : My DROD project
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: My DROD project (0)  
MarvinTheRobot wrote:
right, thanks forgot about that.

and another question.

"...when a huge army of unusualy large cockroaches are having lunch-break at the local population. "

noone mentioned it, but im not sure this sentence sounds right. is it ok or should it read "...when a huge army of unusualy large cockroaches are having the local population for lunch-break." instead?
How about the uniformly ambiguous "...when a huge army of unusually large cockroaches are taking their lunch-break at the expense of the local population."

Note: Spelling correction. Unusually has a double l

01-07-2004 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MarvinTheRobot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
How about the uniformly ambiguous "...when a huge army of unusually large cockroaches are taking their lunch-break at the expense of the local population."
Great! :thumbsup

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
01-07-2004 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Or you could change it to

when a huge army of unusualy large cockroaches are having lunch-break of the local population
01-07-2004 at 02:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MarvinTheRobot
i spent the whole night trying to understand the db* stuff and then set myself to add my first property.

since drod quest is to be a sort of rpg, game events (like stabbing a roach, or getting stabbed) have random behaviour. so the savegame mechanism needed to be updated as when reproducing the game commands, the random numbers generated would be diferent than the originals. after long consideration i found a solution wich would require minimum coding: all i had to do was write a CRandom class wich provided two methods: one to obtain a random number for game-events, and another for everything else. by keeping track of how many game-event random numbers were asked since last seeded, when it detects that a non-game-event rand has been asked it just re-seeds the random number generator and calls rand() the exact number of times.
using this, i srand(time) every time the swordsman enters a room and all i have to keep in the savegame is the seed of the last room visited.

however i'm still having trouble with the db. heres exactely what i did:

in DBProps.h
DEFPROP(c4_IntProp, StartRoomSeed);

DEFTDEF(SAVEDGAMES_VIEWDEF,
		"SavedGames"
		"["
			"SavedGameID:I,"
			"PlayerID:I,"
			"LastUpdated:I,"
			"StartRoomSeed:I," // here
			"StartRoomX:I,"
			"StartRoomY:I,"

enum PROPTYPE
{
	P_StartRoomO,
	P_StartRoomSeed,
	P_StartRoomX,
};

const char propTypeStr[P_Count][26] = {
	"Settings", "ShowSequenceNo", "Squares", "StartRoomO", "StartRoomSeed", "StartRoomX",
};

in CDbSavedGame::Load()
	this->wStartRoomSeed = (UINT) p_StartRoomSeed( SavedGamesView[dwSavedGameI] );

in CDbSavedGame::SetProperty()
		case P_StartRoomSeed:
			this->wStartRoomSeed = static_cast<UINT>(atoi(str));
			break;

in CDbSavedGame::UpdateNew()
	SavedGamesView.Add(
			p_LastUpdated[ this->LastUpdated ] +
			p_StartRoomSeed[ this->wStartRoomSeed ] +
			p_StartRoomX[ this->wStartRoomX ] +
			...);

and in CDbSavedGame::UpdateExisting()
	p_StartRoomSeed( SavedGamesView[ dwSavedGameI ] ) = this->wStartRoomSeed;

i verified that wStartRoomSeed is being stored correctely
in UpdateExisting() because i get the right value if do a
 UINT i = p_StartRoomSeed(SavedGamesView[dwSavedGameI]);

however if i close and restart Load() gives me a 0. any ideas? am i missing something?

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
01-07-2004 at 09:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
MarvinTheRobot wrote:
however if i close and restart Load() gives me a 0. any ideas? am i missing something?
It looks like you've done everything right. You might still need to run DRODUtil to create the new table structure. It is a command-line util. To recreate a database it should be called like so:

drodutil delete
drodutil create
drodutil import "x:\\yourpath\\caravel\\dat1.5"
drodutil import -t "x:\\yourpath\\caravelcvs\\texts"

This will overwrite drod1_6.dat, text.dat, and player.dat in the "caravel\\data" directory with new files. "mids.h" in the "caravel\\texts" directory will also be rewritten, causing many source files to need recompiling.

A more precise explanation:
In DROD.EXE, views (tables) are opened with c4_Storage::View() which does not change a view definition, but simply retrieves an existing view by name. In DRODUtil, views are opened with c4_Storage::GetAs(), which takes the complete view definition as an argument and always returns a view that matches the requested view definition, which might require creating a new view or changing fields of an existing view.

And after that long explanation I will feel pretty dumb if it still doesn't work.

-Erik

01-07-2004 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MarvinTheRobot
oh well... i can't compile DrodUtil!! :~(

Linking...
OptionList.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl AssertErr(char *,int,char *)" (?AssertErr@@YAXPADH0@Z)
Debug/DRODUtil.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

DRODUtil.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

i explicitly added BackEndLib.lib to the linker and it still doesnt work... i cant figure this one out.

edit: nevermind... i compiled the release configuration that, of course, doesnt use the AssertErr function... :)

[Edited by MarvinTheRobot on 01-08-2004 at 10:00 PM GMT]

01-08-2004 at 09:50 PM
MarvinTheRobot
And after that long explanation I will feel pretty dumb if it still doesn't work.

don't feel. it worked! thanks! :D

edit: also, this may sound like a stupid question, but how can i change the default hold?

edit2: after reading the above question i see it ambiguous. i do not wish to 'edit' dugan's. i only wish to replace it with another hold (wich i propably will construct using the editor).

edit3: i think i screwed up... i have a problem with user-made holds. it seems my little added property to the savedgames view screws up the StartRoomX and StartRoomY props only in user-holds. this is rather unespected... question: do i have to change anything in the drod-util code? question n°2: will that screw up dugans dungeon? (i am a bit afraid in messing with drodutil...)

edit4: it seems only the StartRoomX property is being screwed. whenever it reloads a continue saved game it sets it to 0. and only in user-holds, it doesnt happen in dugans... im still investigating, if you have any idea about this please post...

edit5: and it only happens after restarting the game. for example, if i create a basic hold and dont modify anything, the first room should have StartRoomX = 19. i breaked the program at CdbSavedGames::UpdateExisting() and verified that in p_StartRoomX( SavedGamesView[ dwSavedGameI ] ) = this->wStartRoomX; a 19 was being stored. however upon restarting the game, at CdbSavedGames::Load(), this->wStartRoomX = (UINT) p_RoomX( SavedGamesView[dwSavedGameI] ); returns a 0. this is weird.

[Edited by MarvinTheRobot on 01-08-2004 at 11:15 PM GMT]

[Edited by MarvinTheRobot on 01-08-2004 at 11:18 PM GMT]

[Edited by MarvinTheRobot on 01-08-2004 at 11:51 PM GMT]

[Edited by MarvinTheRobot on 01-09-2004 at 12:11 AM GMT]

[Edited by MarvinTheRobot on 01-09-2004 at 12:59 AM GMT]

01-08-2004 at 10:17 PM
MarvinTheRobot
i need help! see above!

01-09-2004 at 01:30 AM
MarvinTheRobot
has everyone gone on vacation? -_-

01-10-2004 at 12:07 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Only a very few people on this forum have the knowledge of the DROD code necessary to help you, and they do have jobs of their own as well. I am sure that Erik will continue to help you when he finds the time. However, you may find that going back and editing a previous post 5 times is not the best way to get help, especially because Erik gets posts e-mailed to him and when you edit a post no e-mail is sent. In any case, just be patient and you will probably get the help you are asking for.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-10-2004 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
MarvinTheRobot wrote:
has everyone gone on vacation? -_-
Heh.

Using the Hermansen e-mail handling system, all incoming mail that needs some kind of attention is given one of three labels--"Reply", "Action", or "Waiting". Yours was given "Waiting" status since I was pretty busy today. But rest assured, once an e-mail has been tagged, the matter will not be forgotten. No sir, you are entitled to a thorough, and possibly painful, resolution.

-Erik

01-10-2004 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MarvinTheRobot
I'm sorry. Didnt mean to be impatient... or maybe i was. -_-

if i edited the post 5 times it was because i was constantly finding new things. sorry for that, that thing was driving me crazy!

cheers,

Daniel

01-10-2004 at 04:08 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Yeah, adding new information to your post as you find things out is fine with me. Whenever you add new fields or change existing fields in the DROD database (i.e. in DRODLib/DBProps.h), you need to recreate the .dat files using DRODUtil so that this information will be saved to disk. Without this, it will only exist for the runtime session, and then disappear or get reset on exit.

Find the place(s) in DRODUtil where database records of the type you're interested in are created and added to the database (for Dugan's Dungeon, for example), and change them to include the new information you added. Then recreate the .dat and you'll find the new information should get saved! (Make sure you're loading the data info correctly in the CDb...::Load() methods, and saving it correctly in both the UpdateNew() and UpdateExisting() methods.) You can download KitViewer to aid to in checking that the .dat files have been created with the correct information in them.

Feel free to write with any more questions -- the database stuff is the most difficult to master, in my opinion, and I'm glad to help.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-10-2004 at 06:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MarvinTheRobot
HAAAAAWWWWWWWW!! I GOT IT!

first off, thanks mrimer, that KitView thingy was much helpful.

i feel dumb! dumber that the dumbest thing ever imaginable! sorry again for having harrassed you all over this past few days! all this for a stupid typo!

what happened was that, while renaming my new property from 'StartRoomSeed' to 'RoomSeed' (wich makes more sense), i accidentaly also renamed 'StartRoomX' to 'RoomX' in one occasion! of course, since RoomX is a valid expression, the copiler happily got on with his life... :lol

now that this matter has been solved, and i got to understand the db stuff, i think i wont be needing so much help. so expect less questions for now on.

thanks everyone for their help so far!

01-10-2004 at 11:32 PM
MarvinTheRobot

File: screenshot3.jpg (99.2 KB)
Downloaded 147 times.
License: Other
icon Re: My DROD project (+2)  
hey all!

just dropped by to show you what i've working on. since i will need lots more tiles for the game, i changed a little the shadowing system. it now adds chadows dynamicaly, wich means the problem of mixing obstacle and wall shadows is gone, plus it means alot less tiles to draw. take a look at the screenshot!

the only thing still not working too well is when shadows overlap. the overlapped area becomes too dark, as both shadows are alpha-blended over the tile. still havent got the time to fix it, but will.

cheers,

01-14-2004 at 05:41 AM
ErikH2000
MarvinTheRobot wrote:
take a look at the screenshot!
Very cool! This is definitely the better way to do the shadows.

-Erik

01-14-2004 at 05:45 AM
MarvinTheRobot
hm... when i said that the overlapped shadows were the only problem i didnt realised they were all just hiding from me... shy bugs!

well, one is particularly strange. what happens is that when doors open or close he refuses to update its shadow. after some exploration i found this CRoomWidget::UpdateFromPlots() function, wich calls UpdateDrawSquareInfo(). i checked to see if was called when doors open or close and it does. i tried replacing that call with a ResetForPaint() call. and yoohoo, surprise, it worked just fine.

now, that is not a good solution because im having the program update the entire room. i basicaly only changed TileImageConstants.cpp, TileImageCalcs.cpp and the CRoomWidget::Repaint() function, so its hard to understand why he isnt 'dirtying' the room correctly anymore. and if he were to be drawing the tiles in another function that i dont know about, it wouldnt draw any shadows at all, so its not the case.

anyway,if you happen to remember where this is handled in the original code, please let me know, but if you dont remember, dont spend too much time on it, its just a small thing after all.

01-14-2004 at 07:42 AM
DiMono
Maybe this shadowing method could be added to DROD?

And I wouldn't worry about repainting the entire room, since that happens every turn anyway :)

01-14-2004 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
MarvinTheRobot wrote:
anyway,if you happen to remember where this is handled in the original code, please let me know, but if you dont remember, dont spend too much time on it, its just a small thing after all.
I don't know offhand where the problem is. I think I would try setting a breakpoint at the top of UpdateDrawSquareInfo() and step through it to see why your shadows are not updating. This is assuming you've got your shadow calculating routines in UpdateDrawSquareInfo(). Now that I think about it, maybe you are just painting them after the O-layer is drawn in CRoomWidget::RenderRoom(), which is fine but hopefully you've got some logic to track which new shadows have been cast so that RenderRoom() can draw only some of them.

-Erik

01-14-2004 at 04:46 PM
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
Maybe this shadowing method could be added to DROD?
We'll see. ;)
And I wouldn't worry about repainting the entire room, since that happens every turn anyway :)
It used to work like that, but actually, only affected squares are drawn now. Marvin will particularly need to be stingy with alpha blits, because they are much slower.

-Erik

01-14-2004 at 04:50 PM
DiMono
ErikH2000 wrote:
It used to work like that, but actually, only affected squares are drawn now. Marvin will particularly need to be stingy with alpha blits, because they are much slower.
That's what I get for not being in on the dev team, I guess. I must admit, I was a little surprised when you first told me about repainting the entire room, I'm glad my unspoken wisdom has reached the developers.

01-15-2004 at 08:46 PM
MarvinTheRobot
I don't know offhand where the problem is. I think I would try setting a breakpoint at the top of UpdateDrawSquareInfo() and step through it to see why your shadows are not updating. This is assuming you've got your shadow calculating routines in UpdateDrawSquareInfo(). Now that I think about it, maybe you are just painting them after the O-layer is drawn in CRoomWidget::RenderRoom(), which is fine but hopefully you've got some logic to track which new shadows have been cast so that RenderRoom() can draw only some of them.

right, i didnt realise it was UpdateDrawSquareInfo() itself that dirties the room-tiles that changed. i though it just recalculated them all, but that the dirty info was set by the function that toggles the door state. got it working now. thanks!

01-18-2004 at 12:22 AM
MarvinTheRobot

File: screenshot4.jpg (54 KB)
Downloaded 126 times.
icon Re: My DROD project (+2)  
yet another screenshot! this time its a line-of-sight thingy im implementing. works ok, i found a nice O(n) algorithm while roaming the net and it does work quite fast. of course thats a lot more tiles to update on each move, but we'll all have to learn to live with it. still, rest assured, im only updating tiles as necessary.

the only problem i have so far is that everything not T_WALL behaves diferently that T_WALL. in other terms, the shading works perfectly for walls, but still has issues with broken walls, doors, obstacles, and everything else. cant figure out why, as the algorithm checks for obstacles only once, and they are all grouped in a macro. beats me.

01-18-2004 at 04:24 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Very, very nice. It probably wouldn't even be too hard to make the "Fog of War" smoother - i.e. not just on/off per square. I saw some very smooth LOS shadowing in a development version of Nox years ago.

Do the monsters use LOS for sensing your swordsman as well?

01-18-2004 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Just out of curiosity, are you going to be making any new monsters too? And will you include the ones in 1.7?

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 01-18-2004 at 04:35 PM GMT]

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-18-2004 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MarvinTheRobot
It probably wouldn't even be too hard to make the "Fog of War" smoother - i.e. not just on/off per square. I saw some very smooth LOS shadowing in a development version of Nox years ago.
yes, the ugly blue squares you see are just for development. i plan on making it look a lot less ugly, and also have 2 types of LOS. one that totally hides the tiles (so you dont know what is there) and another to 'shade' them, so while you are able to see where walls and doors are, you dont know where monsters are. this would be used after you have already crossed that part of the room.
Do the monsters use LOS for sensing your swordsman as well?
probably, that will be decided when i really start working on monsters.
Just out of curiosity, are you going to be making any new monsters too?
yes
And will you include the ones in 1.7?
no, this is not drod. and even if it were, i wouldnt use those ideas for obvious reasons, like respect erik and future drod development.

01-18-2004 at 04:46 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
This is looking awesome, and I can't wait to see it released. Any ideas as to when that's happening?

Or can we at least get an estimated release date for a beta?

Please?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-18-2004 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
I have to assume you've already thought of this, but I'll ask anyway just in case: Will the minimap in the bottom left corner reflect the current Fog of War state? If you haven't yet seen part of the room, after all, you don't know what that part looks like.

I actually might suggest removing the map entirely, unless you hit some predefined hotkey ("M", maybe?) in which case it brings up a full-screen map of where you've been. That frees up that part of the screen for other important information that you know about and we don't, too :)

01-19-2004 at 03:03 AM
MarvinTheRobot
I actually might suggest removing the map entirely, unless you hit some predefined hotkey ("M", maybe?) in which case it brings up a full-screen map of where you've been. That frees up that part of the screen for other important information that you know about and we don't, too
i hadn't thought of that possibility. thats an idea i will consider. i still would like to keep the mini-map, though i will probably run out of screen-space when an inventory is added and all. -_- we'll see!

01-19-2004 at 12:24 PM
MarvinTheRobot

File: screenshot5.jpg (95.7 KB)
Downloaded 120 times.
icon Re: My DROD project (+1)  
hya,

here is a screenshot of the new LOS algorithm. it now shows faded tiles when the player has already crossed that particular section of the room, but cant see it from where he is standing. i think it looks great.

this means im entering a very dificult and tedious part of the development of drod quest, since i now have to start tweaking the saving mechanism to an extreme level. it has to save the VisitedSquares array for each room previously crossed, and im taking the occasion to start implementing the rest of the data it must store: monsters killed, positions of moveable and inventory objects (broken walls already apply), etc...

im thinking of doing it by crating a view in the saved games wich would contain the data for each room previously crossed. i.e the ids of killed monsters: when loading a room, he would verify if was previously crossed, and then remove the indicated monsters from the room, before displaying it. however i'm not sure if it woudnt be best to simply replicate the entire room in the saved game. what do you think? please give me some ideas...

i shiver thinking of the amount of work it will represent... :weep

01-21-2004 at 05:11 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : My DROD project
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com