Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : How to translate DROD Holds (in 3.0+)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
IP: Logged
icon How to translate DROD Holds (+4)  
This is a short-and-sweet guide to translating DROD holds. It assumes you know something about how DROD works already.

Step 1: Under the [Localization] section of drod.ini, change the ExportTexts value to 1.

Step 2: Export your hold. When prompted to export texts for localization, do so.

Step 3: Open up the resulting XML file with a text editor.

Step 4: Find all the tags with attributes "lang" and "text".

Step 5: Copy those tags (possibly multiple times), changing the "lang" attributes to the new language and the "text" attributes to the translated text.

Step 6: Distribute the file.

Now, all the end user has to do is import the new XML file, and they will have that language added to the hold. When playing the hold, DROD will display texts for the active language (configured in drod.ini). If text for a language is missing, then text for the default language (English for all known 3.0 releases) is displayed.

[Last edited by coppro at 01-08-2008 03:19 PM]
01-07-2008 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon Re: How to translate DROD Holds (0)  
coppro wrote:
This is a short-and-sweet guide to translating DROD holds.
Excellent work! Thanks very much for taking the time to provide this.

I'd suggest a possible change to Steps 5 and 6:
Instead of replacing the existing language texts with new ones, it is generally better to just add a new line with the translated info (i.e. new language code and text, but the rest kept the same).

I notice you basically say this in Step 7, but the distinction here is that this can facilitate faster repeat translation. You can keep the original source text around for anyone to translate from right there at the same spot in the same file. When you bundle multiple languages, you don't have to refer to another file to find the original text or synchronize viewer windows as you scroll down two files line by line.

Also, I'd change:
"and they will have that language added to the hold, if DROD is configured to use that language (done in drod.ini)." --> "and they will have that language added to the hold. When playing the hold, DROD will display texts for the active language (configured in drod.ini). If text for a language is missing, then text for the default language (English) is displayed."

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-08-2008 at 06:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : How to translate DROD Holds (in 3.0+)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com