Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Strangest Thing(s) You've Done (To solve a DROD puzzle...)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
IP: Logged
icon Re: Strangest Thing(s) You've Done (+1)  
Chalks wrote:
How 'bout you? Called in 5 relatives to help? Stood on your head for awhile, to get that "new perspective"?
I stood up.

No, seriously, I stood up and acted out the one 3 or 4 move bit that had me stuck, from different perspectives. Sometimes it can be very interesting and helpful to think like a roach.
01-24-2008 at 03:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: Strangest Thing(s) You've Done (+2)  
I had a strange experience of sorts last year with a room in a slightly older than recent user-made hold.

I got stuck there and went to Hints and Solutions to look for hints. There was only one thread (from a year or two ago, I guess), and the guy who started it asked for a hint, stuck just the same way as I. Then there was a single reply, by the same guy, stating that he had got the room after all on his own, and no other hints or anything at all.

Yet this was enough for me to realize that I had missed something obvious. So, just by reading that somebody had figured the room out after some trouble, I figured it out too. Then I just went back to DROD, resumed the game and completed the room easily.

I guess this goes to show that sometimes a solution to a room hangs by very little. It isn't always so easy to discover what that very little is, though! (But if it comes on its own, who am I to complain...)

The strangest thing I've done on purpose would probably be writing a computer program to find a five by five knight's tour. It's a puzzle you'll find in a certain room in a certain hold. It's not that I think programming is particularly strange, but it was just something I didn't quite expect to do to solve a DROD room back when I was learning the ropes on the early levels of AE. I know better now.
01-24-2008 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Strangest Thing(s) You've Done (0)  
Pekka wrote:
The strangest thing I've done on purpose would probably be writing a computer program to find a five by five knight's tour.

I'm pretty sure I did the same thing, when playing "Doctor E'Will's Mega Complex" hold. Just to make sure, the knight is the one which moves twice forward and once to the side, right? (ie. movement pattern looks like L)

01-24-2008 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
skell wrote:
Pekka wrote:
The strangest thing I've done on purpose would probably be writing a computer program to find a five by five knight's tour.

I'm pretty sure I did the same thing, when playing "Doctor E'Will's Mega Complex" hold. Just to make sure, the knight is the one which moves twice forward and once to the side, right? (ie. movement pattern looks like L)

Yep.
01-24-2008 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
Just the knowledge that I was on the right track has often been enough to help me solve the room.
01-25-2008 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Strangest Thing(s) You've Done (To solve a DROD puzzle...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com