Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Other good puzzle games
<<5678
Page 9 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
butsam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
IP: Logged
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
It's here: www.beholder.co.uk/planetarium. Those British. What would we do without them?

Doesn't seem to work for me...goes really slow and won't let me log in. Is the site not working properly anymore?

Sam
09-12-2004 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
I see what you mean - it does seem pretty slow. Not sure about the not logging in - I can get in just fine.

I think they would have said something if the site wasn't working, but then again Beholder seem to be slowing down a whole lot.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 09-12-2004 at 05:30 PM GMT]

09-12-2004 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
Sorry to go back to Heaven and Earth after everyone else moved on, but I was just curious if anyone could determine what this message means:

You have unlocked the first key to the palace of wisdom. Your Tibetan word for magic is: DRALA.

That's what it says when you beat the Pilgrimage, the collection of puzzles you get by clicking on the little town. Thoughts?
09-14-2004 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (+1)  
Thread resurrection!

I just found this game which has become my new addiction. If nothing else, it's quite entertaining, and that's really the point, isn't it? It's a little flash thing.

Edit: It's only got one level so far, so it shouldn't take too long for the puzzle-meisters of DROD.net to complete it.

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:09-25-2004 at 05:21 PM]

09-25-2004 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
DiMono wrote:
I just found this game which has become my new addiction. If nothing else, it's quite entertaining, and that's really the point, isn't it? It's a little flash thing.
In it's current state, it isn't very good. You can't do anything with coins, there weren't many good puzzles, and instead of dying the health meter freaked out and started moving back and forth and I was invincible.

However, it shows some promise, if these problems are fixed.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
09-25-2004 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I found that game a while back...and beat it, and wished there was more (and a downloadable version). A neat little diversion for half an hour or so.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-25-2004 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
icon Ballance (+2)  
My brother introduced me to a neat new game called Ballance where you roll a ball around on a zany obstacle course, a la "Marble Madness" or "Super Monkey Ball". But this game has much larger levels and very accurate physics and collision detection with complex objects. It's got checkpoints, and you can turn your ball into different materials at certain points. I post it here because it's more of a puzzle game rather than an arcade game. An English one-level demo of this game can be found in many places (I'm guessing it's made in Germany), such as the developer's site, but I managed to find a full English shareware version (seems to work only for a couple days) at this site. The developer's home page has some good screenshots, as well as an extra 13th level you can add into the game.

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:10-03-2004 at 07:22 PM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-02-2004 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5413
icon Re: Ballance (0)  
mrimer wrote:
My brother introduced me to a neat new game called Ballance where you roll a ball around on a zany obstacle course
Wow... visually, this game is quite stunning. It's very simple, but done very, very well. I like it a lot. :thumbsup

10-02-2004 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Sanitarium

Sanitarium - really great point&click adventure game. I normally can't stand such games, but this one is sweet. Great story, visuals (yes, even if it's an old game - the renderings are top quality, just as animation), and athmosphere in general. The kind of game you play just to see what will they think of next. The in-game puzzles are not overly hard, and it possible to solve without trying every single permutation. (Unlike Discworld, where you use bra on ladder to acquire silenced ladder, a mirror on tip of flagpole, or frog on sleeping guy's mouth)
The only thing that saddens me is that it's CD-rip - no cinematics except for intro, and no speech sound. A shame.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
10-03-2004 at 08:52 AM
Oneiromancer
Essence Child

Pretty interesting puzzle game. Not sure how hard it eventually gets, but it is pretty fun. Schik couldn't get it to run but it worked fine for me.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-18-2005 at 09:31 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Oneiromancer wrote:
Essence Child

Pretty interesting puzzle game. Not sure how hard it eventually gets, but it is pretty fun. Schik couldn't get it to run but it worked fine for me.

Game on,

seconds, nay almost minutes of entertainment.
not bad for a short download, but nothing challenging to anyone who has played much DROD or Fish Fillets.

02-25-2005 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
nick_name
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (+4)  
Another great puzzle game which is actually also educative (if you care about sortoff learning about how a brain really works) is Bug Brain: www.biologic.com.au/bugbrain/

make brains for bugs! starts a bit easy, but gets close to impossible when you have to do the ant levels. (luckily, the solutions are also on the site)
04-16-2005 at 12:07 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
OMG OMG, I've played that, several years ago. I went looking for it about a year ago or so and couldn't remember what it was called! I built some pretty nifty "brains". One of them could read input from the keyboard add add two numbers together, and display the results on a home made LED display. I was trying to get a multiplier to work when I stopped.

04-16-2005 at 12:24 AM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
For a small distraction, go to www.sodaplay.com and try to make a walking amchine of some sort. I advise you to look at the examples first to get some ideas, and see how it all works.

Edit: Look at the sodazoo - Someone has made a wheel!

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:04-16-2005 at 12:54 AM]
04-16-2005 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
I think a two-wheeled car was the pinnacle of my sodaconstructor career. But some of the things they create there are truly amazing. I advise you search the forum for some famous users and than look at their public libraries.

Anyway, you can see my best working models here.

[Edited by Krishh at Local Time:04-16-2005 at 12:58 PM: Added link.]
04-16-2005 at 12:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Wow, this Bug Brain thing is impressive! That's one really amazing interface for computer chips simulation. And the learning curve makes it really fun to learn the basics on chips building. I mean, my worm actually finds mushrooms by smell, how cool is that! Thanks for pointing this gem out for me, nick_name.

04-17-2005 at 04:16 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Wow! I just want to say that I agree with Maurog as well! This Bug Brain thing is really entertaining. The only "problem" is, you will learn a lot in every one of those puzzles (and no, I'm not very far yet...) I just wonder why I've never encountered it before...

04-17-2005 at 11:49 PM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
here's another good puzzle game:

Laser Tank

It has 1000s of levels, a very good map editor and a huge download site. You can get tons of user created levels for it. It's a very simple game really...You're driving a tank and your goal is to get to the flag. To get to the flag you have to get past various obstacles by pushing them, shooting them, etc. It's a really good game that will take up a few hours of your time. :D
04-20-2005 at 09:04 PM
Oneiromancer
There's already a full thread devoted to that here. :)

Game on,

04-20-2005 at 09:16 PM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
hehe...sorry, didn't see it. :D
04-20-2005 at 10:24 PM
selotte
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22

File: Cult.zip (1017.7 KB)
Downloaded 82 times.
License: Other
I think CULT is a good game.
05-12-2005 at 09:42 AM
selotte
See Studio-Blum.com. Here is CULT and CULT II . You can download them absolutely free.
05-12-2005 at 09:52 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1917
I thought CULT was ok, but I didn't like CULT 2.

Cult 2 had so many people to talk to that it was annoying/boring to me.
05-12-2005 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
selotte
I can`t play DOS games om my computer. I have Windows XP. Are there a way to fix that problem or do I have to find an old pc.
05-14-2005 at 02:18 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3261
I use dosbox to play old games (I have also WinXP).

I didn't like Cult/Cult2. There was way too much pointless running around.
05-14-2005 at 02:25 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Regarding computer puzzles...
anyone familiar with F.Godmom or Modern Problems?

05-16-2005 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
micke8
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (+3)  
If you like japanese Jigsaw Puzzles (aka Nonograms, Fill-a-Pix) , surf to :

http://www.griddlers.net

This page contains more than 17000! griddlers from very easy to extreme hard.
You must register (your statistics about solving will be saved) , but the page is absolute free.

05-16-2005 at 07:25 PM
EEP!
Rank Points: 18
One of the most addicting *shareware* puzzle games i have ever played (besides drod that is!) has to be pathpix.
Even though it is shareware you get a full :w00t25:w00t levels in the demo.
It also has some nice background classical music that is possible to customize.
It gave a bit of enjoyment for a while and I am definitely thinking of buying it. :D

I full 'o cheese!

http://www.bluetaters.com
-It's semi-crunchy!
06-07-2005 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I've spent a bit of time going through Everett Kaser's games - generally, he makes logic games with Windows 3.1 stylings and programmer graphics, but the games are usually interesting and the solving systems provided are extensive and well-thought out (he's included in most of his games the ability to make a speculative move, and see how it plays out and whether it results in a paradox).

One of the things that does annoy me, though, apart from the Windows 3.1 stylings, is that he's got as default the inability to make a mistake (you get a warning whenever you try to make a wrong move). I kind of think that a puzzle without the possibility of making a mistake isn't as satisfying.

06-07-2005 at 09:19 AM
EEP!
Rank Points: 18
Yeah, I really didn't like prismapix that much,
but in pathpix you can be trying to fill in the last snakething and have to go back 40. :D

I full 'o cheese!

http://www.bluetaters.com
-It's semi-crunchy!
06-07-2005 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
<<5678
Page 9 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Other good puzzle games
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No