Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Other good puzzle games
<<2345
Page 6 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (0)  
Yeah...I noticed that too. There's a Crack zip file there also and you have to unzip that and run the registry file and the new exe file, then it will work. Isn't abandonware fun?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-31-2003 at 06:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
I dont think this is puzzler, more rpg. The music can freak you out so bad though. It is called Mother 2 (or for the american version: Earthbound) I highly reccomend this game to others if you do have a snes console system otherwise you can get a snes emulator from zsnes.com I dont know about the ROM though. That will be pretty tricky

Another good game is called Jetpack. Very fun (comes with level editor)

oooo yet another. Liero, it's similar to worms but its in dos format

[Edited by Stuwy on 12-31-2003 at 08:00 AM GMT]
12-31-2003 at 07:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
If your'e talking about games like Worms, then I'm gonna talk about games like Scorched Earth, or its R-rated counterpart Bloodred Earth, which the makers of Scorch don't aknowledge as existing :D

12-31-2003 at 08:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Ooh, Earthbound. The most twisted RPG I've ever played. It's a cross between crayon drawings and a B-movie and the translators seemed to have screwed the Japanese script and used the Mystery Science Theatre method instead - the dialogue is crazy at times, but it makes a sort of sense. Then you battle the Annoying Old Party Man who complains about today's youth for 30 damage.

European players will not be able to play it in PAL form - it was never released here. Shame.

Matt

12-31-2003 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Mattcrampy wrote:
Ooh, Earthbound. The most twisted RPG I've ever played. It's a cross between crayon drawings and a B-movie and the translators seemed to have screwed the Japanese script and used the Mystery Science Theatre method instead - the dialogue is crazy at times, but it makes a sort of sense. Then you battle the Annoying Old Party Man who complains about today's youth for 30 damage.
It is, isn't it?

It's the self awareness of the game that's a little spooky at times as well, such as when you "drink a cup of tea/coffee" and it transports you into a sort of time stop where the game begins to narrate the philosophy behind your extended travels.

Also, if my memory serves me correctly, I thought that the "complaining about today's youth" attack lowered guts, not did any actual damage to you.

12-31-2003 at 02:19 PM
Mattcrampy
I twas an example - I simply can't reacall what the complaining attack did. The coffee was surreal, though.

Of course, what wins it is the B-movie poster opening, the Mr. T sprite and the flying photographer.

Matt

12-31-2003 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
You cant forget about the New Age Retro Hippie and his Toothbrush!

Was it his toothbrush? Or was it his compass...

[Edited by Stuwy on 12-31-2003 at 07:14 PM GMT]
12-31-2003 at 07:12 PM
DiMono
So what you're all saying is this is the game to play if you decide to start ...experimenting?

12-31-2003 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
DiMono wrote:
So what you're all saying is this is the game to play if you decide to start ...experimenting?
No.

I think we are just discussing the twisted/unusual nature of the game and its contents.

12-31-2003 at 08:37 PM
Stuwy
It twas one of a kind. It's also funny when you won a battle facing... lets say a skate punk the dialog text says "The Skate Punk become tamed".. That always made me thought that they were un-educated beings that can be tamed by getting beat up with a baseball bat.
01-01-2004 at 04:05 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
There is an awesome ROM site called >>>deleted by ErikH2000<<. It's all in French, but it has any rom imaginable (as far as I know), and then some. The only, and I do mean ONLY downsides I know of, other than it being in French, is that you can only download one thing per five minute period, no matter how fast or slow your computer, and some ROMs need fixing up. (I.E., the Lost Vikings I and II don't come with the ROMs, for me.) A great site nonetheless.

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 01-01-2004 at 08:23 AM GMT: Removed URL--reason described in next post.]

01-01-2004 at 07:40 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
zex20913 wrote:
There is an awesome ROM site called >>>deleted by ErikH2000<<<. It's all in French, but it has any rom imaginable (as far as I know), and then some. The only, and I do mean ONLY downsides I know of, other than it being in French, is that you can only download one thing per five minute period, no matter how fast or slow your computer, and some ROMs need fixing up. (I.E., the Lost Vikings I and II don't come with the ROMs, for me.) A great site nonetheless.
Tim, don't take offense, but I don't want URLs to ROM sites given out (or warez sites, or anything else that infringes on copyrights). I'm editing your post to remove the URL, but will otherwise leave it intact. Not a big deal, and I'm sure it wasn't stated clearly upfront, and it's a bit of gray area like abandonware, but let's just not do this.

-Erik

01-01-2004 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
If you're concerned by this, remember that even emulation boards don't allow discussion of where to find roms. It's more trouble than it's worth, really.

Matt

01-01-2004 at 09:25 AM
agaricus5
Stuwy wrote:
It twas one of a kind. It's also funny when you won a battle facing... lets say a skate punk the dialog text says "The Skate Punk become tamed".. That always made me thought that they were un-educated beings that can be tamed by getting beat up with a baseball bat.
Or a yo-yo.

01-01-2004 at 02:00 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Whoops. Sorry about that. I will remember this for the future.

01-01-2004 at 06:22 PM
DiMono
Theories on abandonware could be an entire thread...

Anyway, back to the point... Erik the Unready is a really fun puzzle game. Same sort of interface as the Spellcasting 101/201/301 series, and it's entirely tongue-in-cheek to boot. Great fun.

01-02-2004 at 05:47 AM
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
Unzip the file called "Crack" and run the reg file, then run the .exe that was in the crack.zip.
Since it is called crack... it makes me wonder if it was legal for it to be on underdogs or not.

01-02-2004 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
The Underdogs has always been an Abandonware site. Some of the games they have there are no longer supported or sold by the company that originally made them, and thus there is no way to get the actual CD to install the game. If The Underdogs ever are asked to remove a game from being downloaded they always do so.

As Erik said, Abandonware is a grey area. If you don't think it is an honest thing to do, then don't download the games. Webfoot DROD was once considered Abandonware before Erik and company released the free Caravel version, even though I believe it was still offered for sale.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-02-2004 at 11:27 PM
DiMono
If I recall correctly, sites were found that were charging $20 for Webfoot as recently as a few months ago (some time after I joined the forums), after the release of Caravel. I can see an argument for the Webfoot version being declared Abandonware, as Webfoot no longer supports it, and we don't really support it either since everything's going in to Caravel. I can't see justification for selling it though, especially since most people, I'm sure, would do a google search to see if there's some warez site that has it cracked, and end up here to find the free DROD:AE

01-02-2004 at 11:31 PM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
I also noticed (about a week ago) a web site selling the webfoot DROD for $19.99. I can't remember the site though.
01-03-2004 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
I spent a few hours scouring the net and picked up what I think is every Kye level ever made and put them into one big ZIP file, if anyone wants it. (email at jdyer41@aol.com)

For Sokoban, the best port I've found by far is YASC (Yet Another Sokoban Clone). I've tried most of them.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sokobanyasc/

I've got quite a few more puzzle games lurking on my hard drive, I will dig around at some point and post about some more. Just off the top of my head, though, Vampiric Tower is fun:
http://www.hotfreesite.com/cgi-bin/games/detail.cgi?ID=101
01-03-2004 at 07:19 PM
Stuwy
Sorry If I am bumping the earthbound convo.. I just found a great site www.starmen.net (no links to roms on this site erik) It has alot of info for you guys that have never played it and it has lots of other goodies! Check it out if your bored.
01-04-2004 at 12:07 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
This isn't quite a puzzle game, more of an adventure (hence the name) but what the heck - it was really fun.

LOGAN's Mystery of Time and Space Adventure.

01-14-2004 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I'm stumped on level 6. I have repaired the torch and gone done to the basement but I can't find anything else to do or pick up.

Edit typical 5 seconds after I post this I worked it out.

[Edited by Scott on 01-15-2004 at 04:21 AM GMT]
01-15-2004 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Whizzball was linked on another site I visit. Its on a kids site but some of the puzzles are downright hard.

[Edited by Scott on 01-29-2004 at 05:10 AM GMT]
01-29-2004 at 05:09 AM
DiMono
I just (finally) picked up a copy of Myst III for myself. Now, if only I could find time to play it...

Oh, does anyone else find it amusing that this thread has more views than the puzzle tag thread, but only a quarter the posts?

01-29-2004 at 06:13 AM
Scott
At time I posted this

This thread 4617

Puzzle tag thread 4853

What was that your said again? :devil
01-29-2004 at 06:21 AM
DiMono
Alright, so I transposed the numbers. Still, the fact they're comparable is a little bit notable, don't you think?

01-29-2004 at 06:49 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
As has been discussed in multiple threads, our "Other good puzzle games" thread is a google favorite. I'm sure a lot more people search for "good puzzle games" than "puzzle tag", so the view count is not very surprising. If anything, I'm surprised it's so *low*.

Edit: Forgot to mention - Look at the views/day in the statistics:

Puzzle "tag" : 98.217
Other good puzzle games : 15.302

"Other good.." has been around a LOT longer than tag.

[Edited by Schik on 01-29-2004 at 07:01 AM GMT: Forgot...]

01-29-2004 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Yeah, it's one of the first posts I ever made on this board. /boggle

Game on,

01-29-2004 at 09:36 AM
<<2345
Page 6 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Other good puzzle games
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No