Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Tortilla Curtain vs. Catcher in the Rye (Which novel do you prefer?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which novel do you prefer?
The Tortilla Curtain
The Catcher in the Rye
Equal preference
Not applicable
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
IP: Logged
icon Tortilla Curtain vs. Catcher in the Rye (0)  
In my junior AP class, we have read both T. C. Boyle's The Tortilla Curtain and J. D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. Both are fabulous novels, and I have an equal preference for both of them. I was wondering what other forumites' opinions were, though, so I decided to start a poll. Feel free to use this thread for discussion of the novels and/or posting links about them.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-22-2007 at 03:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Tortilla Curtain vs. Catcher in the Rye (0)  
I love Catcher in the Rye but I had never heard of The Tortilla Curtain until now. From the Wikipedia article it seems like it is very popular in literature classes, but since it came out after I graduated high school that would explain why I hadn't been exposed to it.

Anyway, I don't want to vote when I haven't read half the choices. But I'm wondering if The Tortilla Curtain is really even in the same class as Catcher in the Rye.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-22-2007 at 07:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: Tortilla Curtain vs. Catcher in the Rye (0)  
I personally think Catcher in the Rye is one of the finest examples of 20th century literature, and considering you have equal preference I'm going to have to read Tortilla Curtain.

[Last edited by Snacko at 12-04-2007 05:50 PM]
11-22-2007 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Tortilla Curtain vs. Catcher in the Rye (Which novel do you prefer?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com