Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Conquered / Explored Status Bug Q&A
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
IP: Logged
icon Conquered / Explored Status Bug Q&A (+4)  
I keep seeing questions and misunderstandings about the player progress bugs, so I figured I'd write something up to help explain what's going on. (These aren't really FAQs, since the whole thing is confusing enough that most people aren't aware of what questions are even useful to ask.)

=========================================

Q: What's this all about? What does this bug do?

A: There have been a number of bugs in DROD 3.0 and 3.1 which inserted bad data into DROD's internal lists of which rooms you have ever visited and conquered. The symptoms of these bugs are:

1. DROD thinks you have mastered a hold, although you haven't really conquered all the secret rooms.

2. When viewing the Restore screen for a conquered hold, the % Explored and/or Secrets Found numbers are too high.

Q: So what caused that?

A: We're not entirely sure what all the causes were, but one major known problem involved viewing a demo originally created by a different player. Rooms which the demo's player had already explored/conquered were credited to the player viewing the demo.

Q: Are they fixed now?

A: We can't be entirely certain if these bugs are all eliminated, but version 3.1.0.55 fixed the demo-viewing variety.

Q: So if I've upgraded to 3.1.0.55 or later, I don't have to worry about this any more?

A: Sadly, it's not that simple. If the data for your player was already messed up, it will remain messed up. Even worse, there can sometimes be invalid data which isn't affecting any hold right now, but can interfere with a hold you will import later.

Q: Is there anything I can do to remove the invalid data from existing holds?

A: Yes, if you know how to backup your data and are interested in trying out some beta software I wrote to deal with this issue. See this topic.

Q: That sounds dangerous. Is there anything else I can do to at least prevent invalid data from "interfering" with holds I haven't imported yet?

A: DROD 3.1.0.55 and later will look for and purge this type of invalid data in two situations:

1. You upgrade from 3.0.* to 3.1.0.55 or later. It's nice if it happens automatically, but DROD can't really tell when it's just been upgraded from one 3.1 version to another.
2. You delete a hold using 3.1.0.55 or later. Any hold will do, even if you create an empty one just to delete it because of this answer.

But this only protects holds you have not yet imported. Messed up data from the holds you already have loaded will remain messed up.

=========================================

As always, backup your *.dat files before trying out any "patch candidate". If you don't know what that means, wait for a full-fledged patch on the Downloads page.

[Last edited by schep at 04-07-2009 01:21 AM : beta tool is here]
11-22-2007 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
icon Re: Conquered / Explored Status Bug Q&A (+1)  
I've found another bug. If you complete the TCB demo and have the player that conquered it imported onto the full version, the % and no. of secret rooms will appear on the restore screen as if the non-demo hold was conquered
01-02-2008 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Conquered / Explored Status Bug Q&A (0)  
I think that's a necessary flaw to DROD's system of player management. Fixing it would require kludges to support the demo explicitly - DROD just treats the demo import like any other hold upgrade, and thus records the conquer status.
01-03-2008 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I think the minimap room pop-up I added in build 56 that was buggy might have added a null roomID to people's room tally. So, in build 60 I've added a fix that should clean that out of there.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-01-2008 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
This may or may not be part of this bug, but I've recently conquered Beethro's Teacher, and on my quest to mastery, one of the secret rooms on level 4 was marked as beaten before I even found it. It was 92% explored with 1/2 secrets conquered. I know for a fact that I didn't beat the other secret room yet.

I'm using Mac 3.2.0.83.
06-25-2008 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Conquered / Explored Status Bug Q&A
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com