Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
<<6789
Page 10 of 88
11121314>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Avon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
IP: Logged
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (0)  
Make a pile of twenty coins and turn them over. If this pile had n tails before turning the coins over, now it has 20-n tails and the remaining coins contain 20-n tails.

01-01-2004 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Very good - you're up again!

01-01-2004 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
You have to ask the "someone" to tell you which are which.

If that fails, I could use my tongue to test what they feel like.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-01-2004 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
If that fails, I could use my tongue to test what they feel like.
Did I mention that you don't know where these coins have been? That's disgusting. :sick

Anyways, Avon already solved it.

01-01-2004 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Avon
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+1)  
This puzzle should not be a cruel as my last one.

A group of 20 men captured during a war. The enemy want to execute them, but are willing to grant a partial amnesty. Tommorow the prisoners will line up on the execution grounds facing north. A hat will be placed on each man's head so that no man can see his own hat or the hat of any man behind him but he can see the hats of all the men in front of him. Each hat is either red or white. Starting from the southernmost man (who can see the other 19 hats) and working north, each man will be asked the colour of his own hat. When all men have replied, those who answered incorrectly will be executed and the rest will be allowed to live.

The prisonsers can spend the night planning a strategy to ensure as many as possible survive. Unfortunately, they are unable to communicate without the enemy overhearing so the enemy will know their strategy and will distribute the hats to ensure as many as possible are executed.

What is the prisoners' best strategy?

[Edited by Avon on 01-01-2004 at 01:53 AM GMT]

01-01-2004 at 01:22 AM
The_Red_Hawk
They can simply take off their hats and look at them.

01-01-2004 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Wait - I know! I guess the previous answer won't be allowed, so.....

They agree for each second person to speak the colour hat of the person directly in front. So 10 will be assured of surviving, and the others have a 50% chance - so 15 will survive.

It doesn't matter if the enemy overhears, because no matter what colour hats they give, it won't make a difference.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 01-01-2004 at 01:36 AM GMT]

01-01-2004 at 01:33 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Avon wrote:
This puzzle should not be a cruel as my last one.

A group of 20 men captured during a war. The enemy want to execute them, but are willing to grant a partial amnesty. Tommorow the prisoners will line up on the execution grounds facing north. A hat will be placed on each man's head so that no man can see his own hat or the hat of any man behind him but he can see the hats of all the men in front of him. Each hat is either red or white. Starting from the southernmost man (who can see the other 19 hats) and working north, each man will be asked the colour of his hat. When all men have replied, those who answered incorrectly will be executed and the rest will be allowed to live.

The prisonsers can spend the night planning a strategy to ensure as many as possible survive. Unfortunately, they are unable to communicate without the enemy overhearing so the enemy will know their strategy and will distribute the hats to ensure as many as possible are executed.

What is the prisoners' best strategy?

I suppose it is to have each prisoner say the colour of the hat of the person in front. That way, 19 of the prisoners will be saved, and only the first one will die.

01-01-2004 at 01:35 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
They can simply take off their hats and look at them.

If you were going to be executed for guessing the wrong color of the hat you were wearing, don't you think they would execute you for "cheating" like that? A little common sense is necessary to solve these puzzles. If Avon says that no man can see the hat on his head or the ones behind him, then that's the way it is.

I have seen a very similar puzzle to this recently so I cannot post the answer though. But if it is the same answer then no one will die.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 01-01-2004 at 01:39 AM GMT]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-01-2004 at 01:35 AM
The_Red_Hawk
agaricus5 wrote:

I suppose it is to have each prisoner say the colour of the hat of the person in front. That way, 19 of the prisoners will be saved, and only the first one will die.

That won't work, because though the second person will know what colour his hat is, he has to say the colour of the one in front. So if they are different, one of the two will die.

My solution should work though (I think). ;)

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 01-01-2004 at 01:40 AM GMT]

01-01-2004 at 01:38 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Oneiromancer wrote:
If you were going to be executed for guessing the wrong color of the hat you were wearing, don't you think they would execute you for "cheating" like that?
Well, since the number of red and white hats appears to be variable, as no-one has made a mention about how many of each there are, then all the men would have to guess if they weren't cheating because they cannot work it out logically.

01-01-2004 at 01:39 AM
Avon
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Wait - I know! I guess the previous answer won't be allowed, so.....

They agree for each second person to speak the colour hat of the person directly in front. So 10 will be assured of surviving, and the others have a 50% chance - so 15 will survive.

It doesn't matter if the enemy overhears, because no matter what colour hats they give, it won't make a difference.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 01-01-2004 at 01:36 AM GMT]

Yes, they are forbidden to take off their hats, and also to speak apart from saying either "red" or "white".

Also you second strategy only guarantees 10 people survive. The enemy knowing this plan can ensure the other 10 die.

But you can do better than 10 surviving.

I guess a few people got in before me.

[Edited by Avon on 01-01-2004 at 01:42 AM GMT]

01-01-2004 at 01:40 AM
The_Red_Hawk
All right then, the first one guesses, then taps the next guy on the shoulder. The right shoulder means "red" and the left "white" or vice versa.

01-01-2004 at 01:42 AM
Avon
agaricus5 wrote:
Well, since the number of red and white hats appears to be variable, as no-one has made a mention about how many of each there are, then all the men would have to guess if they weren't cheating because they cannot work it out logically.

They can work it out logically, most of them anyway. :(

01-01-2004 at 01:43 AM
Avon
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
All right then, the first one guesses, then taps the next guy on the shoulder. The right shoulder means "red" and the left "white" or vice versa.

They're standing too far apart for that or the guards chopped off their arms, whichever you think is more realistic.

And their legs too, if you like.

[Edited by Avon on 01-01-2004 at 01:46 AM GMT: make it more violent]

01-01-2004 at 01:45 AM
The_Red_Hawk
I just noticed something! With the way you worded the question, it can also be interpreted as "they will be asked the colour of the southernmost man's hat. So he guesses. If he guesses right, all survive, and if he's wrong, 19 survive.

01-01-2004 at 01:50 AM
Avon
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
I just noticed something! With the way you worded the question, it can also be interpreted as "they will be asked the colour of the southernmost man's hat. So he guesses. If he guesses right, all survive, and if he's wrong, 19 survive.

I changed it to "each man will be asked the colour of his own hat" even though I thought it was clear enough already.

01-01-2004 at 01:54 AM
The_Red_Hawk
All right then, they all get to sneak a glimpse at their hat before it is put on.

How many exactly can be saved?

01-01-2004 at 01:58 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I know an answer to this puzzle that guarantees all but one survives. Seeing as I knew it before-hand, I'll let you all have some fun.

Matt

01-01-2004 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
How about this? If the next person is red, the first person hesitates 5 seconds before saying his guess. If white, he says it immediately. This would continue down the line, except the rest of the people would know their colour.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 01-01-2004 at 02:07 AM GMT: Just when I'm sure I'm right, Avon leaves the forum! :( ]

01-01-2004 at 02:05 AM
Avon
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
How about this? If the next person is red, the first person hesitates 5 seconds before saying his guess. If white, he says it immediately. This would continue down the line, except the rest of the people would know their colour.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 01-01-2004 at 02:07 AM GMT: Just when I'm sure I'm right, Avon leaves the forum! :( ]

Sorry, I had to go and get something to eat.

The guards then chop out the prisoner's tongues and each man nods :yes his head for "white" and shakes :no his head for "red". Then the guard calls out the guess.

[Edited by Avon on 01-01-2004 at 02:12 AM GMT]

01-01-2004 at 02:11 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Without a tongue, you can still make sounds. So the person says "Uuuhhhhhh" before his guess if the next is red, and nothing if the next is white.

01-01-2004 at 02:22 AM
Avon
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Without a tongue, you can still make sounds. So the person says "Uuuhhhhhh" before his guess if the next is red, and nothing if the next is white.

The guards are fairly nice fellows. They could have executed the prisoners straight away. If the guards believe that any prisoner tried to communicate anything other than a guess of his own hat colour, all the prisoners will be executed.

01-01-2004 at 02:28 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Is the number of colours important? i.e. if there were green hats too, would the solution be the same?

And does the fact they are facing north have anything to do with it?

Do they have anything with them other than their clothes?

01-01-2004 at 02:33 AM
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
Red Hawk; there are no side channels in the solution. They all state the night before that they will say that they have a white hat on. The next day, when asked the color of their hat, they all say red and live.
01-01-2004 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Avon
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Is the number of colours important? i.e. if there were green hats too, would the solution be the same?

And does the fact they are facing north have anything to do with it?

Do they have anything with them other than their clothes?

A some point I said the prisoners were forbidden from saying anything other than "red" or "white", so if we add green hats, the guards would maximise the number of executions by giving everyone a green hat.

They're facing north. The sun rises in the east. In the morning they should cast a pretty long shadow. But when they arrive at the execution grounds, alas, the eastern wall is too high for the shadows to be of any use.

Who said they were wearing clothes? I always imagined the prisoners were naked.

:)

01-01-2004 at 02:44 AM
Avon
levelthirteen wrote:
Red Hawk; there are no side channels in the solution. They all state the night before that they will say that they have a white hat on. The next day, when asked the color of their hat, they all say red and live.

How do they plan this without the guards knowing?

01-01-2004 at 02:45 AM
The_Red_Hawk
levelthirteen wrote: there are no side channels in the solution.

I am only trying to find the answer.

Avon wrote: At some point I said the prisoners were forbidden from saying anything other than "red" or "white", so if we add green hats, the guards would maximise the number of executions by giving everyone a green hat.

No - I mean if the prisoners knew there were green hats as well, would the solution be any different?

01-01-2004 at 02:49 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Darn. I thought that something would work, but it only works for a red-white-red-white orientation, and not for too many others.

01-01-2004 at 02:55 AM
Avon
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Avon wrote: At some point I said the prisoners were forbidden from saying anything other than "red" or "white", so if we add green hats, the guards would maximise the number of executions by giving everyone a green hat.

No - I mean if the prisoners knew there were green hats as well, would the solution be any different?

Yes, I was only joking. I'm fairly sure you couldn't save as many with three hat colours. You can save at half no matter how many colours there are, but I'm not sure if you could do better.

[Edited by Avon on 01-01-2004 at 03:06 AM GMT]

01-01-2004 at 02:57 AM
<<6789
Page 10 of 88
11121314>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com