Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
<<78798081
Page 82 of 88
83848586>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
IP: Logged
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (0)  
A random puzzle that occurred to me the other day, and may be entirely trivial, but has made me think for a while..

Can you think of two sentences that are identical (including punctuation, etc) other than their first words; one being 'What' and one being 'If'?

(They have to be proper sentences; 'If I want' and 'What I want' could be be replies to a question, but aren't sentences by themselves).
12-15-2009 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
noma wrote:
And TripleM has it.
So how numbers are connected with the answer? I don't get it.
12-17-2009 at 08:05 AM
TripleM
halyavin wrote:
noma wrote:
And TripleM has it.
So how numbers are connected with the answer? I don't get it.

Do the numbers look periodic at all?
12-17-2009 at 10:08 PM
halyavin
Thanks. :thumbsup
12-18-2009 at 10:35 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+1)  
Can you think of two sentences that are identical (including punctuation, etc) other than their first words; one being 'What' and one being 'If'?
(cheekily) how about:
Click here to view the secret text

12-21-2009 at 12:39 PM
TripleM
Heh, I was planning to add 'without cheating by using quotes', but I forgot ;) And I'm out of mod points too :(

Can anyone think of a proper solution though? Or do the laws of English prevent one? (I don't know if there is an answer).

12-21-2009 at 11:57 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+2)  
Sure. How about:

[What/If] one man creates, others will imitate.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 12-22-2009 01:45 AM]
12-22-2009 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587

File: Polyomino Puzzle.jpg (9 KB)
Downloaded 116 times.
License: Public Domain
Each of the polyominos in the attached image has had some of its squares colored red. Also, each polyomino had its color applied individually and independently of the others. What criteria did I use to choose whether a square was white or red?
05-11-2010 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Time for a hint:

05-27-2010 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
No guesses yet, so here is hint number 2:

06-05-2010 at 03:24 AM
TripleM
So I guess

06-06-2010 at 02:25 AM
brian_s
That is correct!
06-06-2010 at 01:56 PM
TripleM
People reading this thread may be interested in signing up at http://www.puzzleup.com/ - has been going for a few weeks now so you'd be several bonus points short of a potential perfect score, but fun nonetheless.
08-14-2010 at 12:31 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Seems this thread hasn't exactly been active recently, so if nobody has any objections I have a puzzle for you to puzzle out. Can you decode the following text?

3edcftgbhu85tgbcfr5tgbhu8765tgbnmhjcfr56ygfgb7um

03-11-2011 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
halyavin
I passed my finger over the keyboard for at least a half an hour :) until I figured out the right split of message to letters. The answer is "WINER!".

Here is the puzzle I like but it could be too hard for this forum. So I may give a couple of hints. Two players are playing the labirinth game. The game takes place on a board of NxM which is initially empty.

The first player stays in the top left corner. His goal is to go to the bottom right corner in the least number of turns. Each turn the first player chooses one of 4 directions and tries to move in this direction. In there is a line drawn between centers of the cells in this direction he does move in this direction. In there is a line that separates cells in this direction he stays still (and so this move never makes sense).

Otherwise the second player decides whether the first player passes or not. If the first player pass, the line between center of these cells is drawn. If the first player doesn't pass, the line that separates these cells is drawn. The second player would love to never give the first player a pass, but he must obey one condition: at every point of time the first player must have at least one way to its goal that is not blocked.

The question is how the second player should play to make the first player to spend as many turns as possible?
03-12-2011 at 07:31 PM
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
Well, after thinking it over for a couple minutes a simple solution is:

There's probably more complicated zigzag solutions to the overall maze, but I don't want to work any out right now.
03-12-2011 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
halyavin
This is not bad for the first attempt. But second player can do better. On 3x3 grid your solution makes the first player to do 14 turns:

I can make him to do 3*N*M-2*N-2*M+1 = 16 turns. The difference is greater on larger fields. If the first player uses zig-zag movement, he spents only 2*N*M+O(N+M) turns in your case.
Hint: the longer the final shortest path from the top-left corner to the bottom-right corner, the more passages the first player used only once. In particular, in zig-zag movement the final path has length N*M-1 which is the worst case possible. So try to make it as short as possible while still making the first player visit the whole board.

03-13-2011 at 07:46 AM
DiMono
I may just be dense, but I can't visualize this game in order to attempt a solution. Could you offer up a visual guide of the first few moves, so I can see how a typical game might look?

03-14-2011 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
(About to go to work so I don't have time to draw, but this might help.) The "line between the centres of the cells" bit threw me as well. In hindsight I understand the notation if you're drawing it, but conceptually it got in the way.

From P1's point of view, the game is basically navigating a maze while blind. The board is a sheet of graph paper where P1 stands inside cells and the walls all run along the grid lines, but the only way to tell if a given cell border is passable or solid is to try walking through it. Once you know the state of a particular border, it's fixed for the rest of the game. Imagine map-making in a text adventure game or an early RPG (without any one-way doors etc.) and you've got it.

The puzzle is that P2 gets to make the maze up as the game progresses -- once P1 has decided to move through an untried grid line, then P2 gets to decide whether or not it's a wall (subject to the constraint of not boxing in P1). Once that decision is made, it's fixed for that border for the rest of the game.

So visually you could represent the same info by drawing over each grid line with a solid (wall) or dotted (passable) line once it's tested. halyavin's notation just involves drawing along the grid lines to indicate walls and between the cell centres to indicate the walkable path.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 03-14-2011 10:27 PM]
03-14-2011 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Alright, let me take a shot at this then:

How'd I do?

03-15-2011 at 05:27 AM
halyavin
DiMono wrote:

How'd I do?
You definitely got the taste how the game should look like in the worst (for the first player) case. But your solution doesn't provide a strategy for all cases yet. What happens if the first player decides to go right, then be blocked down, then go left and down. Could he skip the rest of the first row after that?
03-15-2011 at 08:28 AM
halyavin
Thanks, Tuttle, for formulating the game in more simple terms!

Small hint. You shouldn't let the first player to make cycles. Imagine that you let the first player to go right, down and left. Now if he ever go up from this cell (i.e "make a cycle"), the second player can always block him without any side effects because these cells are already connected. Knowing this, the first player will never try that and so one block remains unused. If the first player have to go back and forth a lot to reach this situation, you can still obtain an optimal bound in your strategy though.
03-15-2011 at 08:44 AM
DiMono
halyavin wrote:
DiMono wrote:

How'd I do?
You definitely got the taste how the game should look like in the worst (for the first player) case. But your solution doesn't provide a strategy for all cases yet. What happens if the first player decides to go right, then be blocked down, then go left and down. Could he skip the rest of the first row after that?

03-15-2011 at 03:06 PM
halyavin

File: example.png (957 bytes)
Downloaded 439 times.
License: Public Domain
If you use

Then we are back to zig-zag movement. For 3x3 it is

Otherwise you haven't answered my question.

[Last edited by halyavin at 03-15-2011 04:28 PM]
03-15-2011 at 04:11 PM
DiMono
halyavin wrote:
No he doesn't:

03-17-2011 at 07:41 PM
halyavin
No he doesn't:
I already gave a bad example for this strategy (a kind of zig-zag movement) in the first part of my previous message.
03-18-2011 at 05:40 PM
RyTracer
Rank Points: 86
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+3)  
Ah yes, the puzzle tag board. I used to love this thing years ago with my first DROD forum screen name.

Well, it looks like this has been dead for a couple years, so I'll start things again with one that I heard the other night.

A wizard has locked you in a cave with 7 magical orbs. They all look the same, but under certain circumstances they can glow with their inner color. Exactly 4 of them are of a certain color, the other 3 are different in 1-3 other colors. Who knows if they match each other or not? If you take 2 orbs, and touch them together they will either light up with their color if they are the same, or do absolutely nothing if they are different. The wizard will not let you out until you bring him 1 orb of the dominant color. What is the minimum number of tests you must make to ensure a correct guess? Also, briefly describe the process.

Have fun! :yes:no

12-15-2013 at 07:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+3)  
Three. Take three pairs of orbs (with no orb in common) so there is one remaining unpaired orb.

* If all three pairs light up, they can't be three different colours (or there would be four non-dominant orbs), so two pairs must light up the same colour, which is the dominant colour.

* Similarly, if two pairs light up the same colour, this is the dominant colour.

* If two pairs light up different colours, one pair must be non-dominant and the unlit pair must contain a non-dominant, so the unpaired orb is dominant.

* If only one pair lights up, they must be dominant (or both other pairs would contain a non-dominant, making four in total).

* If no pairs light up, each pair contains a non-dominant, so the unpaired orb is dominant.

12-17-2013 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RyTracer
Rank Points: 86
Perfect! Flawless!

I thought the tricky one was that third case in the list in which you bring to the wizard a dominant orb, but you aren't actually certain what color it is.

Anyway, you're up.

12-18-2013 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
To be honest, I winced a little when you said "this has been dead for a couple of years"; I had posted a puzzle here recently but then I deleted it as no-one was interested. I can repost it if you like (when I next get a turn) but for now I'll try a different one.

This is mathematical, but no abstruse formulae are needed.

A certain right-angled triangle is positioned with its legs horizontal and vertical, and cut by a horizontal line. The two pieces have equal areas and equal perimeters. What are the base angles of the original triangle?

12-18-2013 at 07:35 PM
<<78798081
Page 82 of 88
83848586>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com