Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
<<5678
Page 9 of 88
10111213>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Avon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
IP: Logged
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (0)  
The solution is:

A) 631
B) 136
C) 233
D) 361
E) 343

[Edited by Avon on 12-31-2003 at 03:12 AM GMT: make article definite]

12-31-2003 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Though I would have liked to have seen some logic behind it, that is correct. You're up!

12-31-2003 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
Other than being 3 digits, is there any restriction on the numbers? For instance, do all the digits have to be different?

Edit: Well, that's what I get for not noticing I was on page 8 of 9. Maybe I should stick this as a request on the Site forum...

[Edited by DiMono on 12-31-2003 at 03:52 AM GMT]

12-31-2003 at 03:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+1)  
A request for what? Do you also have a Tin Man and a Lion accompanying you?

:tomato

Sometimes I amuse myself too much.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-31-2003 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Avon
Schik wrote:
Though I would have liked to have seen some logic behind it, that is correct. You're up!

Sorry, I was pressed for time and most of my logic had been erased as I went. I could reconstruct it if you really want me to. But assuming you don't, here is my puzzle.

King Harold had assembled his army, which was divided into regiments. Each of the king's 61 trusted lieutenants commanded a regiment and each regiment contained the same number of men. For tactical reasons, this number was square. When Harold joined the army, they could rearrange themselves to form large square and crush the enemy. What is the smallest posible size for one of King Harold's regiments?

12-31-2003 at 04:22 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Are we counting the lieutenants in the big square? Are we counting them in their regiments?

12-31-2003 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Avon
zex20913 wrote:
Are we counting the lieutenants in the big square? Are we counting them in their regiments?

Yes and yes.

The lieutenants were there to ensure each regiment contained at least one man.

Otherwise there would be the trivial solution where the regiments have size zero (a square) and Harold standing with all of his zero men would form a sqaure of size one. :D

12-31-2003 at 07:14 AM
DiMono
Dumb question: have you solved this yourself? Because I'm at 35 million per regiment without a solution, and it's getting a little excessive having 2.147 trillion troops.

[Edited by DiMono on 12-31-2003 at 07:52 AM GMT]

12-31-2003 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Alright, I've got two computers working on this one, and they've both reached numbers higher than I can count for the regiment sizes and not come up with an answer. Unless the formula's not n*n = (i*i*61)+1 you're going to have to convince me this one's possible.

12-31-2003 at 08:12 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Your formula's wrong, DiMono.

Matt

12-31-2003 at 01:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
After pulling my old VB out (my C++ compiler hates me) the answer is:

63 soldiers in each regiment, which join up to make a square 62 soldiers to a side.

I could have looked at the problem and remebered that x^2 -1 = (x+1)(x-1) but the program was cooler.

(Incidently, 2208 soldiers in each regiment also works.)

Now to make a puzzle survive one hour!

Matt

12-31-2003 at 02:03 PM
Schik
I'm pretty sure you're wrong, Matt.

63*63*61+1 = 242110, and 62*62 = 3844. Not quite equal.

This puzzle brings back not-very-fond memories of Pell's equation and continued fractions.

12-31-2003 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Bugger, so I am. It worked on the computer but not on the calculator.

Matt

12-31-2003 at 04:43 PM
zex20913
Wait a sec, he's right. It's not 63*63*61+1, but only one 63. Unfortunately, we've been told that the number is square, for each regiment. With assumption manipulation, this would work, as well as 59.

So it looks like something is wrong in the assumptions we've been given.

12-31-2003 at 05:20 PM
DiMono
DiMono wrote:
Alright, I've got two computers working on this one, and they've both reached numbers higher than I can count for the regiment sizes and not come up with an answer. Unless the formula's not n*n = (i*i*61)+1 you're going to have to convince me this one's possible.
I should have been more thorough in my explanation of my equation. n is the side length of the large force, and i is the side length of each regiment. I ran this formula through c code and a perl script, and neither ever gave me an answer. The perl script actually timed out on me and I lost my connection to the server.

12-31-2003 at 08:12 PM
Avon
I repent of my New Year's Eve wickedness and now that it's New Year's Day I can resolve never to do it again. :weep

Dimono is correct. The numbers involved are excessive. In fact, I have seen a version of this puzzle where you have to say why the story is unbelievable.

And Schick's memories of Pell's equation and continued fractions are probably the key. That's how I solved it when it was a question in a Number Theory assignment, but then we had been taught to do it that way.

Of course, if we changed the 61 regiments to 60 then the smallest possible regiment size would be 16, but that wouldn't be as satisfying to solve.

Happy new year everyone, particularly those of you still back in 2003. :party

12-31-2003 at 11:32 PM
Mattcrampy
Okay then, DiMono's up then?

Matt

12-31-2003 at 11:36 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Are you going to leave it as is, or are you giving us a new puzzle?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-31-2003 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Mattcrampy wrote:
Okay then, DiMono's up then?
I don't believe he's come up with a correct answer - I think it's still unsolved. Maybe tomorrow I'll dig out some old math books to remember how to solve this bugger if it's still unsolved.

12-31-2003 at 11:38 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
This is as far as I got:

Assuming that the army square length is x, the army size is therefore x^2. Similarily, if the regiment square length is y, the regiment size is y^2.

So...

x^2 = 61y^2 + 1

61y^2 = x^2 - 1

61y^2 = (x - 1)(x + 1)

Since 61 is prime, either (x + 1) or (x - 1) has to be a multiple of 61.

So (x + 1) = 61n,
Or (x - 1) = 61n, where n is some number > 0.

Note: [+/-] stands for plus or minus.

So... 61y^2 = 61n * (61n [+/-] 2)

y^2 = 61n^2 [+/-] 2n.

This means we have to find two square numbers that have a difference of 2n when n^2 is multiplied by 61.

Unfortunately, my Maths does not go beyond that standard, so I'll leave it to someone else to continue it to find out if the solution is impossible or very large.

01-01-2004 at 12:00 AM
Oneiromancer
Avon wrote:
Dimono is correct. The numbers involved are excessive. In fact, I have seen a version of this puzzle where you have to say why the story is unbelievable.

And Schick's memories of Pell's equation and continued fractions are probably the key. That's how I solved it when it was a question in a Number Theory assignment, but then we had been taught to do it that way.

This is not really a puzzle then; it's more of a math problem put into the language of a puzzle. I don't think that people should be expected to look up Pell's equation to be able to solve a puzzle here.

I think it would be best not to strain everyone's resources and just to let Schik put another puzzle up, since it was his puzzle that Avon solved to give us this new one. Of course if he declines this then everyone can keep chugging away. And I think I will add a new rule that will hopefully preclude these kind of problems in the future. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-01-2004 at 12:06 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I think that Avon should really be allowed to post another puzzle.

If you don't want him to go again, and if you'll let me, I'd like to put up another puzzle, which I've been "sitting on" for quite a while (I forgot about it last time I posted a puzzle). But maybe that's not right and I should earn it first. Oneiro's decision.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-01-2004 at 12:16 AM
Oneiromancer
Okay, Avon gets another chance...hopefully he is not too hungover from New Year's and will get us one within a day.
:drunk Oh, and tell us the answer to the current one too. Barring, of course, someone else solving it in the meantime.

Game on,

01-01-2004 at 12:27 AM
Schik
Oh heck, let me just dust off my memory and solve it to end this odd controversy.

The lowest solution to 61a^2 + 1 = b^2
is a = 226153980, b = 1766319049.

So the regiments have 226153980*226153980 people in them.

01-01-2004 at 12:27 AM
Avon
Okay, now I'm confused. Oneiromancer told me to post another puzzle at the same minute Schik posted a solution. I think I should just sit tight and see what happens next.

01-01-2004 at 12:30 AM
Oneiromancer
I assumed you would take a long time to get back to the forum since it was already apparently New Year's where you are...ah, New Zealand I see! So it must already be the next morning. Oh well...since Schik solved it you don't have to worry about a new puzzle. Sorry for the confusion. The ball's in his court now.

Game on,

01-01-2004 at 12:39 AM
Schik
I'll take the win. :)

Next puzzle:

You are wearing a blindfold and thick gloves. A very large number of quarters are laid out before you on a gigantic table. Someone tells you that 20 of these quarters are tails and the rest are heads. He says that if you can split the quarters into 2 piles where the number of tails quarters is the same in both piles, then you win all of the quarters. You can never tell what state a quarter is in (the blindfold prevents you from seeing, and the gloves prevent you from feeling which side is heads or tails). How do you partition the quarters so that you can win them all?

01-01-2004 at 12:39 AM
zex20913
Ah! I have seen this one before. (Just letting you know, so it doesn't get the recognition of a one-hour+ puzzle.)

01-01-2004 at 12:45 AM
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
Simple, stand all the coins on edge.
01-01-2004 at 12:58 AM
Schik
levelthirteen wrote:
Simple, stand all the coins on edge.
Argh. Okay, small addendum to the puzzle:

You have 5 minutes to make your two groups of coins. Since there are a huge number of coins, you cannot stand them all on their edges.

01-01-2004 at 12:59 AM
<<5678
Page 9 of 88
10111213>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com