Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
<<35363738
Page 39 of 88
40414243>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (0)  
Hmm, almost a week and no guesses. As a hint, word length has nothing to do with it.

08-29-2004 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I figured it abandoned and looked up the solution, and felt really stupid because I had just solved a puzzle exactly the same.

If you know who LeJerque is, I've just given you the hint of your life.

(Okay, I haven't, but isn't that a cool phrase?)

Matt

08-29-2004 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
I'm guessing elephant

Click here to view the secret text

Am I anywhere near close?

"Oook!"
08-29-2004 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
krammer wrote:
I'm guessing elephant
Dang, and I thought it was emu. ;)

08-29-2004 at 03:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Yep, any animal starting with an E is a valid solution. You're up!

Edit: Rank points 666, muahahahaha! All the horror games I've been playing recently, it's oddly fitting... anyway...

[Edited by DiMono on 08-29-2004 at 11:10 PM GMT]

08-29-2004 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+1)  
Ok, as we seem to have had a glut of logic puzzles, I'll give up a lateral thinking one.

A man is driving a car down an empty lane late at night when the car stops. He's out of petrol. He locks the car and orders his wife that on no account should she let anyone into the car until he returns. After a while, he comes back with a can of petrol to find a complete stranger in the car with his wife. Strangely, the husband is not at all worried by this and is in fact very relieved, despite the fact he has never seen the other person before in his life. Why?

"Oook!"
08-30-2004 at 11:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
[ITA]mich
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
If it's a lateral thinking one then I can ask questions, right?

So, here is it:
is his wife sick?

Bye.
--
[ITA]mich.
08-30-2004 at 11:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Oooh, that gives me an idea.... Did she give birth while he was gone?

08-30-2004 at 12:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Schik wrote:
Oooh, that gives me an idea.... Did she give birth while he was gone?

I thought exactly the same an hour ago on school computer... Too bad, I couldn't answer at that moment...
08-30-2004 at 12:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Gah.. and there I was hoping that one might last a little longer. Ah well, your turn again Schik.

"Oook!"
08-30-2004 at 01:16 PM
Schik
Okay, here's an easy one. Remember, if you've heard it before, please don't answer for 24 hours, to let everyone else have a chance.

You are in a cabin. You have only one match. There is an oil lamp, a fireplace, and a candle. What do you light first, and why?

08-30-2004 at 01:35 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Um, I'm probably missing some trick here, but if this was totally real-life, I'd light the fireplace first, use it to light the candle, and use the candle to light the lamp. Then I'd blow off the candle because with a fireplace and a lamp there's no need to waste it.

08-30-2004 at 01:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
eytanz wrote:
I'd light the fireplace first, use it to light the candle, and use the candle to light the lamp. Then I'd blow off the candle because with a fireplace and a lamp there's no need to waste it.
Sorry, that's not the answer I'm looking for.

08-30-2004 at 01:59 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
You light the match first!!!!!!!

-Erik

08-30-2004 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Oh, and why... because it is the easiest of the four the things to light first. Success lighting the other three without a flame to begin with is much harder.

Am I right? Am I right?

-Erik

08-30-2004 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Yep, you got it, Mr. Smartypants. :P

08-30-2004 at 04:04 PM
ErikH2000
You can't imagine my childlike glee!

Complete this sequence of five:

o at ere en

-Erik

08-30-2004 at 04:15 PM
Schik
y

?

08-30-2004 at 04:17 PM
ErikH2000
Man, that was too quick! Go ahead, fella.

-Erik

08-30-2004 at 04:20 PM
Schik
Six friends visited their local club to play at a pool tournament. The competition entry fee was $10 per person, and fifty people competed in the tournament. Prize money was $250 for the winner, $100 for the runner-up, and $50 for third-place. There were no other prizes. None of the friends won a single game. There were no disqualifications, and yet the friends came away collectively $150 in profit from having played. How?

08-30-2004 at 04:33 PM
DiMono
They stole the other players' wallets?

[Edited by DiMono on 08-30-2004 at 03:51 PM GMT]

08-30-2004 at 04:50 PM
Schik
There was no thievery - they earned their money fair and square.

As for Erik's puzzle - Who, What, Where, When, Why.

Edit: Guess you figured out Erik's puzzle right after you posted. I'll leave the explanation there for others.

[Edited by Schik on 08-30-2004 at 03:54 PM GMT]

08-30-2004 at 04:53 PM
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
Did they work there?

08-30-2004 at 04:57 PM
[ITA]mich
Rank Points: 19
uhm... this will surely be wrong but... 49 retired and the last won so two of the friends ranked 2nd and 3rd respectively???

Bye.
--
[ITA]mich.
08-30-2004 at 05:26 PM
Schik
rowrow wrote:
Did they work there?
Hmm... well, yes, but it clearly says that "Six friends visited their local club to play". I need a more detailed answer.

08-30-2004 at 05:31 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I originally thought so too, but the prizes amount to 400$ in total, and the entry fees total 500$ - so even if the profit came from the entry fees, there's still 50$ unaccounted for. So either there's a mistake in the puzzle or the friends working at the club cannot be the full solution.

[Edited by eytanz on 08-30-2004 at 04:37 PM GMT]

08-30-2004 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
They worked there and got money from payment but they were allowed to play

08-30-2004 at 05:54 PM
Schik
rowrow wrote:
They worked there and got money from payment but they were allowed to play
That's not correct.

08-30-2004 at 05:58 PM
YtterbiJum
Rank Points: 29
Five of them worked there and collected the $100 profit. The other friend played and won the $50 3rd-place prize.

08-30-2004 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
YtterbiJum wrote:
Five of them worked there and collected the $100 profit. The other friend played and won the $50 3rd-place prize.
Hmm...it says None of the friends won a single game. So how could the other friend win 3rd place?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-30-2004 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<35363738
Page 39 of 88
40414243>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com