Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
<<29303132
Page 33 of 88
34353637>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
IP: Logged
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (0)  
krammer wrote:
Are the town/city and country real places, or just made-up real sounding places? I think I've got the name, but if the town is real it would narrow things down a lot...
The city and country are real places. I'll give away a freebie here and say that the country is England. I'm guessing that was pretty obvious. The city in the address does really exist in England, however no knowledge of England is needed to solve this puzzle. But if looking at a map to see city names sparks some thoughts, that's fine.

I have no idea if the street address and name exist, however.

04-07-2004 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zzyzx
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+1)  
How about this?

Amy Woods
19 Mood Way
Brentwood,
England
04-07-2004 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
zzyzx wrote:
Amy Woods
19 Mood Way
Brentwood,
England
You got the country right, but nothing else.

04-07-2004 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
zzyxx, can you tell us how you got that? Even if it's wrong, it might help the rest of us in solving it.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-07-2004 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
I can take a guess how he got most of it:

Amy Woods - Anagrammed May and added the first line
19 Mood Way - 'S' is the 19th letter. Mood Way - swapped first letters in Wood May
Brentwood - I'm going to have to guess he looked at a map and picked a town that had "wood" in it.
England - Well... duh.

But again, let me stress that England is the *only* part of that that is correct.

04-07-2004 at 07:05 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
I think I have everything except for the street address - that is, name and city. Just to help me check - is the comma particularly significant?

"Oook!"
04-07-2004 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
krammer wrote:
I think I have everything except for the street address - that is, name and city. Just to help me check - is the comma particularly significant?
Hmmm... I guess I would have to say the comma is the least significant thing.

If you want, you can PM me your answer so far and I can tell you if it's right or wrong.

04-07-2004 at 07:30 PM
zzyzx
I can take a guess how he got most of it:

Amy Woods - Anagrammed May and added the first line
19 Mood Way - 'S' is the 19th letter. Mood Way - swapped first letters in Wood May
Brentwood - I'm going to have to guess he looked at a map and picked a town that had "wood" in it.
England - Well... duh.

But again, let me stress that England is the *only* part of that that is correct.
Heh, I have no clue... Just threw it out there. I have spent way too much time staring at these three lines!
04-07-2004 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
zzyzx wrote:
Heh, I have no clue... Just threw it out there. I have spent way too much time staring at these three lines!
If I sounded bad there, sorry - I just wanted to make sure it was clear that the thought process used there wasn't leading to the right answers, so just making derivitive changes wouldn't really help.

I'll give a bit of a hint: zzyzx used somewhat arbitrary logic - for instance, the name "Amy Woods" came from anagramming the second line and combining it with the first line, ignoring the comma and the fact that the S is capital. If you needed to do that to solve this, there would be some sort of hint that you had to do that. There's not any arbitrary logic behind this one - everything is where it is for a reason.

04-07-2004 at 11:04 PM
zzyzx
If I sounded bad there, sorry - I just wanted to make sure it was clear that the thought process used there wasn't leading to the right answers, so just making derivitive changes wouldn't really help.
You didn't, no worries. I got England though! Oh wait, that was already a given... :)
04-07-2004 at 11:15 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
I've seen an address like this before. It was a rebus:

HILL
JOHN
MASS

and the answer was
Click here to view the secret text

I've got a feeling this is along the same lines, although I still don't know the answer.

[Edited by masonjason on 04-09-2004 at 01:19 PM GMT: saw Bandit's post lower down, made me remember]

04-09-2004 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Koro
Here's a crazy attempt:

Grace Ironwood
Logress
St. Anne's
England
:?

04-09-2004 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Koro wrote:
Here's a crazy attempt:

Grace Ironwood
Logress
St. Anne's
England
:?

Well, you did get England right. ;)

04-09-2004 at 02:16 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I might have the name and city, but I don't have another puzzle so I'll post these here in case they inspire someone else..

04-09-2004 at 08:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
TripleM wrote:
I might have the name and city, but I don't have another puzzle so I'll post these here in case they inspire someone else..
You do have the name, but not the city. The street address is still missing as well.

04-09-2004 at 12:46 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Is the street address

04-09-2004 at 01:51 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+2)  
I'm not sure about the "s", but I think the rest might be,

May Underwood
Andover
England
04-09-2004 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
bandit1200 wrote:
I'm not sure about the "s", but I think the rest might be,

May Underwood
Andover
England
This is correct. Now just to figure out the number and street.
(agaricus - no, it's not Wood St.)

04-09-2004 at 02:16 PM
bandit1200
1 Comma Street? (he asked, clutching at straws)
04-09-2004 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Now if I say that was what I was thinking, then nobody is going to believe me, right? ;)

Actually I was convinced it was
hence my question about the comma, but then there would be nothing left for the street bit...

How about 1 Blank Row for the street address?

[Edited by krammer on 04-09-2004 at 02:31 PM GMT]

"Oook!"
04-09-2004 at 03:26 PM
Schik
How about 1 Blank Row for the street address?
No, and no. Not bad guesses, but there's not a blank row unless you're looking above or below the entire address, which would be a bit dodgy. 1 Comma Street isn't bad either, but why would "S" mean street? That wouldn't quite fit with the rest of the puzzle.

If I change that "S" to "St", the answer would be different. Actually, I'd probably accept two different answers if I changed it to "St".

04-09-2004 at 03:51 PM
bandit1200
Schik wrote:
1 Comma Street isn't bad either, but why would "S" mean street?
It wouldn't, which is why I said I was clutching at straws. ;)
04-09-2004 at 07:04 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181

[Edited by DiMono on 04-09-2004 at 06:49 PM GMT]

04-09-2004 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
DiMono wrote:
A comma is often called a "tick", and the S almost certainly indicates South... could it be "1 South Aftertick?"
Nope. And don't be so certain about South. ;)

I'll restate it - the comma is really just there to separate things. The entirity of what's missing still is encoded in "S".

04-09-2004 at 08:29 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
I don't really have any idea about the street name, but I'll guess that the house number is 4. So the whole thing becomes:

"Amy" under "Wood" 'fore "..." and over "England".

Then you have to mention the "S" in a certain way to get the street name, possibly using some synonym of "capital" and/or "lone".

04-09-2004 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Watcher wrote:
I don't really have any idea about the street name, but I'll guess that the house number is 4. So the whole thing becomes:

"Amy" under "Wood" 'fore "..." and over "England".

Then you have to mention the "S" in a certain way to get the street name, possibly using some synonym of "capital" and/or "lone".
Not a bad guess, but that's not right either.

All by itself, "S" gives the number and full street name.

04-09-2004 at 08:40 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
That's some damn good compression!
:)
Wild guess: 19, Nineteenth Street. I am pretty sure that this is not correct.

[Edited by masonjason on 04-09-2004 at 08:55 PM GMT]

04-09-2004 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
masonjason wrote:
That's some damn good compression!
:)
Wild guess: 19, Nineteenth Street. I am pretty sure that this is not correct.
You're correct, that's not correct. ;)
Although I will say you have one of the three components correct.

04-09-2004 at 10:30 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
19 South Postwood?

04-09-2004 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
DiMono wrote:
19 South Postwood?
Zero of three. And with that, I will probably stop giving X/Y correct hints.

04-09-2004 at 10:41 PM
<<29303132
Page 33 of 88
34353637>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com