Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
<<26272829
Page 30 of 88
31323334>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+1)  
Haha, I found a color!
Mattcrampy wrote:
Matt, and this sentence doesn't follow the rule, or my signature, smartaleck

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-21-2004 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
It's special because it's not a haiku (well, actually it would be special if it was a haiku, since it's claiming to be ;) ). Anyway, "real" haikus are 5-7-5-syllable japanese poems about nature, that is currently happening. But IMO, that shouldn't stop anyone from breaking all the rules and write haiku-like poems.

To break some rules, but not all, here's one that I like, freely translated from norwegian:

Raindrop
hanging there
no more

03-22-2004 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (0)  
Wow. Good knowledge of poetic structures, but not quite what I was looking for :) For the purposes of this puzzle, a haiku doesn't have to be about nature (though we'll all know better for the next time). Remember, I said that it being self referential was part of the answer. That's a clue!

03-22-2004 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
The only other thing I can notice is it's efficiency, you couldn't really describe a haiku in less, still mentioning it's a haiku, but I kinda doubt that's it... I don't much care for these kinda of puzzles where any number of things could be chosen for what makes it special... (It doesn't contain any pronouns... that's pretty unusual... especially in something self-referential... usually has "this" or something... although "this" is a preposition not a pronoun isn't it? and "of" is one of those right?) Yeah... could be all sorts of things

03-22-2004 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zzyzx
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
166 = A haiku: three lines
239 = in seventeen syllables
170 = of five, seven, five
---

Take the number for each letter (a=1, b=2, blank & other chars = 0), and add them together. The total sum is 575, which is a reference to the syllable structure of a Haiku. Is this it?
03-23-2004 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Wow. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's the correct answer, despite not knowing it. If your math is correct, then that's too much of a coincidence not to be right, and if that's not what DiMono meant, well then whatever you found is probably more special than what he had in mind, and that you should post a new puzzle ASAP, because this forum with no active puzzles is no fun.

03-23-2004 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zzyzx
:) On a whim. A friend and I in college made a game every year (sort of like the great all-nighter in that awfully bad but fun movie Midnight Madness), where we made clues and had our friends run around town trying to figure them out. We made something just like this, but non-haiku... :) Should I wait for DiMono? If i'm wrong, that would suck...
03-23-2004 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Fear not, you are absolutely correct. It's a totally self referential haiku, in that its sole purpose is to describe itself, and the values of the letters add to 575, which is the number of syllables in each line in order. Your turn.

03-23-2004 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zzyzx
Woohoo. This is probably pretty easy, but fun:

--------------------------------------------------------

Back in the day, the telegraph was a decent way to send a message, but it was costly. Paid for by the word, one had to be creative to save a buck... Below are three "creative" messages. Can you figure them out?

EYELET SHEILA INDIA HOUSE SHEILAS TURKEY.

BOB STILT SEA, CANTANKEROUS BOAT, HUMUS GOAD IMMORTAL DECOS GUARD.

MARY SINBAD SHEER TOURNEY AUGUSTA WIND NOCTURNE TOOTHBRUSH.
03-24-2004 at 12:20 AM
Drizzo
I let sheila into the house, she lost her key.

Bob's still at sea, cant anchor his boar, you must go to him or tell the coast guard

Mary's in bed, she hurt her knee, a gust of wind knocked her into the brush.

And I don't have a puzzle right now, but I'll think of one by tomorrow,if not before, but if anyone wants to preempt me with one of their own feel free, I'm sure I'll have the chance to post later.

03-24-2004 at 04:52 AM
Drizzo
Five hundred begins it,
Five hundred ends it,
Five in the middle is seen;
First of all figures,the first of all letters,
Take up their stations between.
Join all together, and then you will bring;
Before you the name of an eminent king.

Who am I?

Hopefully you folks haven't heard/seen this one before, it's not too hard, but I think it's pretty classy =)

03-24-2004 at 05:21 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Would that be...

Click here to view the secret text

03-24-2004 at 06:22 AM
Drizzo
Sure, if you wanna be all verbose about it... You're up

03-24-2004 at 07:45 AM
Koro
Drizzo or RoboBob, could you explain that? There are parts of that puzzle I don't get.

03-24-2004 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Five hundred begins it, - Roman numeral for 500 is D.
Five hundred ends it, - ditto.
Five in the middle is seen; - Roman numeral for 5 is V.
First of all figures,the first of all letters, - First of all figures (numbers) - I. First of all letters - A.

Put it all together, DAVID.

03-24-2004 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Ok, so I went and pulled a big puzzle tag no-no, which is answering a question without one of my own prepared. I'll come up with one soon, but if someone wants to post one of their own in place of me, go right ahead.

03-24-2004 at 10:04 PM
Nillo

File: Puzzle.png (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 127 times.
License: Other
Ok, here's one:

I have drawn a 3-dimensional figure on the attached picture.
I have drawn it from the front and from above.
You must draw it from the side.
There are no holes in the figure, as they would appear as broken lines on the picture.

The first two are meant to be identical, sorry for my bad drawing.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-25-2004 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo

File: answer.png (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 100 times.
This is one of many possibilities it could be... Alas I lack my CADD programs, otherwise it'd be more to scale

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-25-2004 at 07:31 AM GMT]

03-25-2004 at 07:29 AM
Koro

File: Answer.png (702 bytes)
Downloaded 114 times.
Aargh! I got yer side view, matey! :2pirate

Hmmm... I wonder if I broke the rules for the puzzle things. I hadn't actually seen this puzzle before, but I did take a class a year and a half ago in orthographic drafting. Still, this one was a challenge for the rusty mind. Now, do it in isometric! That's fun stuff. A new puzzle is on its way, half a moment...

[Edited by Koro on 03-25-2004 at 07:34 AM GMT: Doh! Too slow]

[Edited by Koro on 03-25-2004 at 07:36 AM GMT: Also, out of consideration to the dial-uppers, you should have made these bitmaps monochrome]

[Edited by Koro on 03-25-2004 at 07:41 AM GMT]

03-25-2004 at 07:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
I like your drawing better, Koro, it actually stands on its own =) I took some drafting courses myself a while ago (like 8 years) too, so I found myself picturing a couple options... of course, those squares could just be drawn on and not have texture... in which case we could have a ~| or [] type answer but those kinda seem to defeat the thing... so if we're both right according to Nillo, you go ahead and post the next puzzle =)

03-25-2004 at 07:46 AM
Koro

File: Trapzoid.bmp (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 90 times.
I'm pretty sure we are right although
I have drawn a 3-dimensional figure on the attached picture.
might imply mine is what Nillo was after. Still, Drizzo, you were more than generous. It is late, but I know how I don't like this thread to be waiting, so here is an easy one:
Divide yonder trapezoid into four congruent shapes.
Ready? Go.

03-25-2004 at 08:04 AM
Nillo

File: Solution.bmp (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 91 times.
Yep, it was Koro's solution I was after.

I don't know what "congruent" means, but is this correct?

03-25-2004 at 08:56 AM
Koro
Aye, that it is.

03-25-2004 at 08:57 AM
Nillo
I don't have any really good puzzles in mind, but neither do I like waiting, so here's one:
What word am I thinking of?

afgbidch

Edit: Oh, and Happy Birthday, Tim! :hbd

[Edited by Nillo on 03-25-2004 at 10:13 AM GMT]

03-25-2004 at 10:07 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Is it just mixed up, or is it a cryptogram?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-25-2004 at 01:21 PM
Nillo
No, it's not mixed up.

[Edited by Nillo on 03-25-2004 at 01:47 PM GMT]

03-25-2004 at 01:46 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Yay! I've been birthdayed!

I have no clue as to the answer though.

03-25-2004 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
No prob, Tim (or should I call you Zex? Decide).

I actually made that puzzle up, and I think it might be a little too hard. But I'll wait and give the others a chance first.

03-25-2004 at 04:04 PM
DiMono
Nillo wrote:

afgbidch
I'm going to say you're thinking of the word "Star". If you translate those letters in to numbers, you get 16729438 which forms an 8-pointed star on the keypad.

03-25-2004 at 08:28 PM
Nillo
DiMono wrote:
Nillo wrote:

afgbidch
I'm going to say you're thinking of the word "Star". If you translate those letters in to numbers, you get 16729438 which forms an 8-pointed star on the keypad.
That's almost right, so I'll let you have it.
The word I was thinking of was
Click here to view the secret text

03-25-2004 at 08:56 PM
<<26272829
Page 30 of 88
31323334>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com