Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Page 2 of 88
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (0)  
Schik wrote:
Was he a policeman?

A conductor?

A magician?
Nope, nope, and nope. I'll say his job is not one most people are likely to have

12-11-2003 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Is there blood in the room?

Was the stick directly responsible for his death?

Indirectly responsible?

12-11-2003 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I just realized that I left out a highly relevant fact, making the entire riddle now pointless and probably unsolvable. Schik, drop us your riddle, and I'll chime back in again later when I've sorted things out.

12-11-2003 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+1)  
Arrgggh...

Okay, I'll offer a puzzle up:

There is a school with one thousand lockers and one thousand students. The principal asks the first student to go to every locker and open it. Then he has the second student go to every second locker and close it. The third goes to every third locker and, if it is closed, he opens it, and if it is open, he closes it. The fourth student does this to every fourth locker, and so on. After the process is completed with the thousandth student, how many lockers are open?

12-11-2003 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
First I'll laugh at myself for attempting to solve this by repeatedly filling in 1000 little bubbles in MSPaint. Secondly, I'll admit I still used that wonderful Windows tool to solve this.

I made 20 circles instead of 1000, and went through 20 loops of the puzzle. Once student "n" goes through, the state of locker "n" is never altered again. At the end of 20 iterations, the lockers that are still open are 1, 4, 9, and 16. I recognized those numbers immediately as being perfect squares. So, the number of open lockers at the end of the Principal's cruel, cruel, game is equal to the number of perfect squares within the 1-1000 range. The largest perfect square under 1000 is 961. And the square root of that means...

31 lockers were still open.

(The perfect squares are ~courtesy of TI-89~: 1,4,9,16,25,36,49,64,81,100,121,144,169,196,225,256,289,324,361,400,441,484,529,576,625,676,729,784,841,900,961)
12-11-2003 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Very good. Without experimentation, you can also solve it by noting that the only lockers that will be toggled open/shut an odd number of times will be those that have an odd number of integral divisors. Those are obviously perfect squares...

12-11-2003 at 03:56 AM
ClaytonW
This is one of my favorite puzzles of all time, copied directly from one of my puzzle books, Puzzlegrams:

A tramp, unable to afford cigarettes, collects butt ends. But he was once a man of substance, and therefore refuses to smoke the ends. Instead, he shreds them until he has enough tobacco to make a real cigarette. When he has collected seven ends he has enough tobacco to make one whole cigarette. One lucky day he finds four cigarette ends in the gutter, and then an additional eight in the ashtray of a parked car, three in an old paint tin and five in the lobby of a hotel. He has enough money for a drink and manages to collect fifteen more cigarette ends in the pub. He discovers four in the social security office, six more on his way home, and four in the pocket of an old coat when he gets there. How many whole cigarettes was he able to smoke that day?
12-11-2003 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Okay - he collected 4+8+3+5+15+4+6+4 = 49. He makes those into 49/7 = 7 cigarettes. He smokes them all, then takes the 7 butts and makes one more. Thus he smoked 8 cigarettes.

12-11-2003 at 04:00 AM
ClaytonW
D'oh! Yeah, go ahead. =( Most people forget about the 7 ends he ended with. Was it that easy? Bah, I still like it.
12-11-2003 at 04:04 AM
Schik
This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so plain you would think nothing is wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

12-11-2003 at 04:09 AM
ClaytonW
*Hops up and down happily* I know! I know! I'll wait though...
12-11-2003 at 04:16 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
My, that was an unusual paragraph. I sat and thought hard, and I think I've found out why.

There isn't a single 'e' in it.

Have you seen that one before, Clayton?

Matt

12-11-2003 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
You got it! Your turn....

12-11-2003 at 12:42 PM
Mattcrampy
I had a fractured poem in mind, but plagiarism's more fun:

To count on me you can depend,
But count me and you'll never end!

(I'm hidden in the weights, but not the scales,
I'm there amongst the stones, but not the pebbles,
I occur in this event, but not the others,
I'm in the moon in ether, but not the sun in formaldehyde.)

I'll credit this puzzle after someone gets it.

Matt

12-11-2003 at 02:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Mattcrampy wrote:
To count on me you can depend,
But count me and you'll never end!

(I'm hidden in the weights, but not the scales,
I'm there amongst the stones, but not the pebbles,
I occur in this event, but not the others,
I'm in the moon in ether, but not the sun in formaldehyde.)
Man, I've been looking this one over all morning. I think the highlighted parts are the clues. The answer is numbers?

12-11-2003 at 03:45 PM
Mattcrampy
Yes sir! It's numbers.

The puzzle was shamelessly stolen from Planetarium, a puzzle/story hybrid I found a few years ago that I really liked.

Matt

12-11-2003 at 05:00 PM
Schik
Okay, 'tis the season and all that, so how about a Christmas puzzle:
Santa always leaves plans for his elves to determine the order in which the reindeer will pull his sleigh. This year, for the European leg of his journey, his elves are working to the following schedule, which will form a single line of nine reindeer:

Comet behind Rudolph, Prancer and Cupid.
Blitzen behind Cupid and in front of Donder, Vixen and Dancer.
Cupid in front of Comet, Blitzen and Vixen.
Donder behind Vixen, Dasher and Prancer.
Rudolph behind Prancer and in front of Donder, Dancer and Dasher.
Vixen in front of Dancer and Comet.
Dancer behind Donder, Rudolph and Blitzen.
Prancer in front of Cupid, Donder and Blitzen.
Dasher behind Prancer and in front of Vixen, Dancer and Blitzen.
Donder behind Comet and Cupid.
Cupid in front of Rudolph and Dancer.
Vixen behind Rudolph, Prancer and Dasher.

Can you help the elves work out the order of the reindeer?

12-11-2003 at 05:16 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
The order is, from first to last:

Prancer
Cupid
Rudolph
Dasher
Blitzen
Vixen
Comet
Donder
Dancer

One second while I get my own puzzle (and wait for confirmation)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-11-2003 at 05:32 PM
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
One second while I get my own puzzle (and wait for confirmation)
Wait no longer, you got it!

12-11-2003 at 05:42 PM
Oneiromancer
Okay, this one may be kind of old, and it's a bit like my first one, but a little more logical.

In a large house there is a basement with three rooms. In the middle of each room is a light bulb hanging from the ceiling. There are no windows in any of the rooms and no light switches.

In the attic there are three switches. Each switch controls one of the lights in the basement.

You are taken to the attic. Your task is to try to determine which switch controls which light. Once you leave the attic, you may not return. You may visit two of the rooms in the basement once, and once only. No room, or the light emanating from it, is visible from any other room. You may not call upon the help of any other persons, or use any additional apparatus.

How can you determine which light switch controls which room?

You may ask questions, but technically it is not one of the question asking puzzles, you should be able to figure it out from the clues given (and a little clever thinking)...but please ask if you think any information has been left out (which I do not believe is the case).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-11-2003 at 05:51 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Two questions: Do the switches have switch covers, and are you afraid of getting electrocuted?

12-11-2003 at 06:01 PM
Oneiromancer
You cannot remove the switch covers. If this is how you were going to get electrocuted, then I guess I have answered that question. If you were thinking of another way to get electrocuted, then please ask that more specifically.

Remember, the puzzle states that you may not use any additional apparatus. So no multimeters with 500 foot long cords. ;)

Game on,

12-11-2003 at 06:07 PM
ClaytonW
Mattcrampy wrote:
Have you seen that one before, Clayton?

Yah, I'v hard it. I've hard LOTS of puzzls. I'm a puzzl fanatic. I'v got 15 or so puzzl books, which I dig out now and thn whn I'v got nothing productive to do.

And about that particular puzzl, I rmmber haring somwhr that som guy wrot a good-sizd novl without a singl "E." I'd lik to rad it if anyon knows th nam of it or whr I can find it.
12-11-2003 at 06:17 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Oneiro - are all the lights off to begin with? Or can we ask to have them in a particular configuration?

"Oook!"
12-11-2003 at 07:08 PM
Oneiromancer
Sorry, all the lights are off to begin with. Since you cannot call upon the help of another person, the starting configuration cannot be changed.

Game on,

12-11-2003 at 07:16 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I must say, these are all great puzzles!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-11-2003 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Okay a possible solution...

The lights have dimmer switches so you can set one to off, one on dim and one on full. Then you check any 2 rooms and can deduce which the third one is.

[Edited by krammer on 12-11-2003 at 09:15 PM GMT]

"Oook!"
12-11-2003 at 09:13 PM
Oneiromancer
No, no dimmer switches, these are strictly on and off. And to answer your pre-edit question, there is no time limit, you can take as long as you want.

Game on,

12-11-2003 at 09:22 PM
ClaytonW
Ooo! I was about ready to give up, but I think I got it!

1. Turn on the first and second switches.
2. Wait, say, a half hour.
3. Turn the second switch off.
4. Go check/touch the bulbs.

On = first switch.
Off, but warm to the touch = second switch.
Off, but cold to the touch = third switch.

That right?
12-12-2003 at 12:23 AM
Oneiromancer
Very good! And actually you can still do this if you can only turn on one switch at a time: just turn on the first switch, then wait a while, then turn that off and turn another one on, then go check. Remember that you can only check two rooms, but since the light bulb associated with each switch has a different final state, as you enumerated, the third room/switch combo can be determined through process of elimination.

Your turn again!

Game on,

12-12-2003 at 12:28 AM
Page 2 of 88
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com