Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Free music (if you want it)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon Free music (+1)  
So Radiohead started the trend for releasing their music with option of paying nothing for it.
And announced this afternoon, Saul Williams is doing almost the same thing with his new album. The differences this time are that you are only given two options for payment, either $5 or nothing, and you get a choice of bitrate, right up to lossless FLAC.
More info on the release can be found here.

Personally I think this is a great development in the music industry and the only way that the industry will ever get around piracy of their work. I will be supporting any artist who decides to release their music in this way, even if my support only goes as far as downloading the music, listening to it once and never playing it again. If I like what I hear, I'll be going back to pay for a download.

If you hear of any other bands doing the same or similar, post here so we can have a look.

Steve.
10-25-2007 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Free music (0)  
Saul Williams? I'm SO there. (EDIT: Done.)

Although if you had asked me I would rather have guessed Coldcut working on an album with him, not Trent Reznor... :lol

np: Future Sound Of London - La Tronik 1 (From The Archives Vol. 3)

[Last edited by Briareos at 10-25-2007 08:05 PM]
10-25-2007 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Briareos wrote:
Saul Williams? I'm SO there. (EDIT: Done.)

Although if you had asked me I would rather have guessed Coldcut working on an album with him, not Trent Reznor... :lol
They've been chums since Saul toured with NIN a couple of years ago. And I believe Saul has done a remix for the new NIN album due next month.
I take it you've heard Saul Williams' self named album? If not, it is well worth the purchase :)

Steve.
10-25-2007 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Stephen4Louise wrote:
I take it you've heard Saul Williams' self named album? If not, it is well worth the purchase :)
Well, if I stretch my arm for a bit I can just put my finger on it. :D

Then again, I already got "Amethyst Rockstar" when it came out, and I liked that a lot. But I think I actually like Coldcut's "Mr. Nichols" with him doing vocals best...

I'm actually not so much interested in NIN (or Industrial in general), though... although I think I should really get "Further Down The Spiral", if only for the Aphex Twin remixes - call me a completist... :)

np: Future Sound Of London - Brujo (From The Archives Vol. 2)

[Last edited by Briareos at 10-25-2007 08:45 PM]
10-25-2007 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Further Down The Spiral's my favourite NiN album, precisely because of the remixes, including the Aphex Twin ones - it's definitely worthwhile. The Spiral itself isn't bad either.

10-25-2007 at 08:51 PM
Stephen4Louise
BeefontheBone wrote:
Further Down The Spiral's my favourite NiN album, precisely because of the remixes, including the Aphex Twin ones - it's definitely worthwhile. The Spiral itself isn't bad either.
Really? It's the one NIN album I could never get into. Things Falling Apart is the best NIN remix album by far in my eyes. But as far as NIN albums go, The Fragile is #1.

Hmmm, I seem to have hijacked my own topic!

Steve.
10-25-2007 at 10:58 PM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
icon Re: Free music (+1)  
Look up John Wesley, he's giving away his music for free.
11-01-2007 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Briareos wrote:
I'm actually not so much interested in NIN (or Industrial in general), though... although I think I should really get "Further Down The Spiral", if only for the Aphex Twin remixes - call me a completist... :)
Good news, you can now download both Aphex Twin mixes along with all the tracks from every remix album before Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D.
Go to http://remix.nin.com/ and register. Once registered go to http://remix.nin.com/member/trent_reznor

Edit : RSS feed for Further Down the Spiral. Paste into the podcasting tool of your choice to download the album.

Have fun :)

Steve.

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 11-27-2007 08:55 PM]
11-27-2007 at 08:40 PM
cheese obsessive
If you're into this kind of music (I can't really describe it, you'll have to listen to it here: http://www.myspace.com/jhorne)

Jim Horne just released his CDs for free. It's pretty cool stuff.

http://www.jim-horne.com/downloads/JimHorne_PanicAttack_CD.zip
http://www.jim-horne.com/downloads/JimHorne_ZeroTolerance_CD.zip
12-09-2007 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
icon Re: Free music (-1)  
I think you are mistaken. That isn't music.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
12-09-2007 at 08:43 PM
Briareos
OMG... someone get this man some kind of audio software so he can actually sync his drum track with the guitar - at least that's what I gotta say after clicking on the play button on his myspace page... :?

np: Dominik Eulberg - Der Traum Vom Fliegen (Bionik)

12-10-2007 at 12:20 AM
Insane
Rank Points: 154
cheese obsessive wrote:
Jim Horne just released his CDs for free.

I wonder why...

Seriously. I can't stand this stuff for more than 10 seconds.
It's not as if it's THAT hard to get a proper drum track, even with free software and/or no budget.

As for his guitar skills, I think there's hardly tune/rhythm to it..
If you want to listen to something good, try Dream Theater.. although I disapprove of the singer. Amon Amarth is also a fine band.

-Insane
12-10-2007 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
cheese obsessive wrote:
Are you sure he's released them? I was looking at his site and he mentions that he may sell them for download at some stage, but no mention of giving them away. It looks more like he's left the back door open.

Steve.
12-10-2007 at 04:43 PM
cheese obsessive
Stephen4Louise wrote:
cheese obsessive wrote:
Are you sure he's released them? I was looking at his site and he mentions that he may sell them for download at some stage, but no mention of giving them away. It looks more like he's left the back door open.

Steve.

He's posted a myspace bulletin with the links.

Click here to view the secret text

I'm sorry you're all so offended by the guy.

Insane wrote:
If you want to listen to something good, try Dream Theater.. although I disapprove of the singer. Amon Amarth is also a fine band.

And of course I know who Dream Theater is, silly Insane. What did you think of their new album?
12-10-2007 at 08:55 PM
Insane
Rank Points: 154
Systematic Chaos?
It was a fine piece of data indeed!

All of my favorite, not-so-free music:
Chimaira: Hate/Black Metal
Amon Amarth: Viking Metal
Dimmu Borgir: Black Metal
Dream Theater: Progressive Metal
Rammstein: Industrial
Eläkeläiset: Humppa*
Rotterdam Terror Corps: Hardcore Techno
Other Random Stuff: Random Stuff....

I guess this is sorta off-topic though.... :?

-Insane

*Not-So-Official Translation:
Humppa is the act of first taking LSD and then playing music.
Honestly.
12-14-2007 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Ya know, after listening to Systematic Chaos like 43 times, I kind of felt the urge to go listen to the "Images and Words" days of DT. There is way too much face-melting on the new album for me. I can no longer tell the difference between Petrucci's solos and Rudess's solos. Not to say they're not good, I just miss the old-school more melodic, musical days. As much as I love that sound, it just isn't DT for me anymore. They can do better than that.

Ever listened to Opeth?

Insane wrote:
Systematic Chaos?
It was a fine piece of data indeed!

All of my favorite, not-so-free music:
Chimaira: Hate/Black Metal
Amon Amarth: Viking Metal
Dimmu Borgir: Black Metal
Dream Theater: Progressive Metal
Rammstein: Industrial
Eläkeläiset: Humppa*
Rotterdam Terror Corps: Hardcore Techno
Other Random Stuff: Random Stuff....

I guess this is sorta off-topic though.... :?

-Insane

*Not-So-Official Translation:
Humppa is the act of first taking LSD and then playing music.
Honestly.
12-14-2007 at 10:45 PM
Stephen4Louise
Here's another one for you...

Nine Inch Nails released their latest album last night much to everyones surprise. Ghosts I-IV is a collection of 36 instrumental tracks, the first nine of which can be had for free on http://ghosts.nin.com

I've currently listened to the fist 20 tracks and it's fantastic stuff so far. And in case anyone is wondering, I forked out for the Ultra Deluxe Limited Edition :thumbsup

Steve.
03-03-2008 at 10:01 AM
Briareos
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Here's another one for you...

Nine Inch Nails released their latest album last night much to everyones surprise. Ghosts I-IV is a collection of 36 instrumental tracks, the first nine of which can be had for free on http://ghosts.nin.com
Interesting... gotta have a listen when I get home. :)

And in case anyone is wondering, I forked out for the Ultra Deluxe Limited Edition
Gah... 225 USD more just for four pieces of vinyl? I really don't need 4 placemats... :D (Just kidding...)

(Makes me glad the limited edition of Autechre's Quaristice was just ~44 EUR w/ shipping... ;))

Oh, and on the topic of "Free Music": I can really recommend the "Intelligent Toys" compilations (as well as the other releases) on Sutemos, a Lithuanian netlabel.

03-03-2008 at 11:00 AM
Stephen4Louise
Briareos wrote:
Gah... 225 USD more just for four pieces of vinyl? I really don't need 4 placemats... :D (Just kidding...)
Well, those and the prints, lucky I got my bonus on Friday, but I have a funny feeling I'll be investing on a blu-ray player soon too.
Briareos wrote:
(Makes me glad the limited edition of Autechre's Quaristice was just ~44 EUR w/ shipping... ;))

Oh, and on the topic of "Free Music": I can really recommend the "Intelligent Toys" compilations (as well as the other releases) on Sutemos, a Lithuanian netlabel.
I've been meaning to check out Autechre for a while, any recommendations for a good starter?

Steve.
03-03-2008 at 12:01 PM
Briareos
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Well, those and the prints, lucky I got my bonus on Friday, but I have a funny feeling I'll be investing on a blu-ray player soon too.
Yeah, that too - although for that price they really should have thrown in a BlueRay player... :P

Briareos wrote:
I've been meaning to check out Autechre for a while, any recommendations for a good starter?
Oh boy, that's a tough one, since they've been all over the map stylistically...

Let's see...

Incunabula is really old-school (but not dated) bleepy electronic music by today's standards.
Amber has some really lush ambient soundscapes with beats.
Tri Repetae is usually called their most industrial album (+ it was released in the US on Nothing with two EPs on a second CD, dunno if that's still available anywhere).
Chiastic Slide is loaded with crunchy beats.
LP5 was IMHO more laid back again, but with complex rhythms this time.
After that they drifted very much into generative algorithms for creating tracks, dunno if that's up your alley...

I'd recommend visiting http://www.bleep.com/ as you can listen to pretty much all Autechre there - except that the player fades to a pause every 30 seconds until you click play again...

np: The Orb - Close Encounters (Ambient Mix 1) (U.F.Orb Remixes)

03-03-2008 at 04:57 PM
cheese obsessive
For today only, Icelandic post-rock band Sigur Ros is streaming their 90-minute documentary-of-live-performances-thing on youtube. I love this bands sound. Check it out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lr4s7KeCbV8
03-07-2008 at 06:30 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
zonhin wrote:
I think you are mistaken. That isn't music.

I define music as a serie(s) of sounds with a structure in it. The only thing I don't see as music is a serie(s) of sounds in which you can't find ANY structure in it (random sounds). If I look at the discriptions, all the links link to what I define as music.

03-07-2008 at 07:24 PM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
For those who missed the post about Sigur Ros's video, the "one day only" part is apparently false; it is still available.

BbJ

03-10-2008 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Timo006 wrote:
I define music as a serie(s) of sounds with a structure in it.
Perhaps even that is a little too specific...
03-11-2008 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
cheese obsessive wrote:
For today only, Icelandic post-rock band Sigur Ros is streaming their 90-minute documentary-of-live-performances-thing on youtube. I love this bands sound. Check it out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lr4s7KeCbV8
Having seen this at the non-Icelandic world premiere in Helsinki (where Sigur Rós performed a short acoustic set before the movie), I can heartily recommend this movie.

I wouldn't recommend seeing it on YouTube, though. You should buy the DVD. :)

03-11-2008 at 12:35 PM
Briareos
icon Re: Free music (+2)  
"The Slip", yet another new Nine Inch Nails album - this time as a completely free download, with the regular CD/vinyl release coming up in July...

:blink

np: Saul Williams - Black Stacey (Saul Williams)

05-05-2008 at 01:37 PM
Stephen4Louise
Briareos wrote:
"The Slip", yet another new Nine Inch Nails album - this time as a completely free download, with the regular CD/vinyl release coming up in July...

:blink
Nicely put, but isn't pimping NIN releases my job round here? ;)
NIN PR wrote:
NINE INCH NAILS
THE SLIP
FIRST EVER COMPLETELY FREE FULL ALBUM DOWNLOAD
AVAILABLE NOW AT NIN.COM

Trent Reznor to Fans: “Thank you for your continued and loyal support over the years. This one’s on me.”

As of 12:01 a.m. PST May 5, Nine Inch Nails’ brand new full length album The Slip is available as free download at NIN.com.

Unlike NIN’s recently released Ghosts I-IV, there are NO paid options available for The Slip, nor are there any retail partners. At present, The Slip is available exclusively as a free download at NIN.com. A physical configuration on CD and vinyl is in the works for a July release.

The Slip marks the first time Nine Inch Nails–or any artist of NIN’s stature–has made its new album available completely and exclusively for free as a DRM-free digital download. The Slip is available as a high-quality MP3 or in a variety of lossless formats including, for the first time, a higher-than-CD quality 24 bit 96k version. All downloads include a PDF with credits and artwork.

Like the free single “Discipline” released last week to terrestrial radio stations and their websites and the track “Echoplex” appearing on iLike, The Slip is a classic straightforward NIN album, featuring Trent Reznor on vocals and various instruments as well as Josh Freese, Robin Finck and Alessandro Cortini. The record was produced by Reznor, Atticus Ross and Alan Moulder. Art direction by Rob Sheridan.

As with previous Nine Inch Nails releases Year Zero and Ghosts I-IV, the complete multi-track files to The Slip will be available free at launch, allowing anyone who wants to create his or her own remixes and reinterpretations of the songs. As always, the Remix.NIN.com community will provide a sire and infrastructure for fans to upload, share, stream and download these various remixes as well as the original masters, all free of charge or restrictions.

The Slip, like Ghosts I-IV, is being released under a Creative Commons license, allowing fans to distribute the songs and files freely and without fear of copyright infringement. More details regarding this license can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/

www.nastylittleman.com

Steve.
05-05-2008 at 05:36 PM
Briareos
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Nicely put, but isn't pimping NIN releases my job round here? ;)
Yeah, well - I needed something to do while waiting for my CD of Ghosts I-IV to arrive... :D

np: Nine Inch Nails - Head Down (The Slip)
(Not bad, but I still like Sage Francis' "Human The Death Dance" more, which was the last CD I bought... ;))

05-05-2008 at 06:04 PM
Stephen4Louise
Briareos wrote:
Yeah, well - I needed something to do while waiting for my CD of Ghosts I-IV to arrive... :D
Speaking of which, my mega deluxe version of Ghosts shipped on Thursday and was last seen leaving Indianapolis on Friday evening.

As for The Slip, I'm loving the whole album, but the last four tracks are my favorites after the first listen. Now, hopefully they'll be heading in our direction after the USA tour.

Steve.

05-05-2008 at 06:26 PM
Briareos
Briareos wrote:
Saul Williams? I'm SO there.
Geez... I didn't think that he would actually end up touring our city on the 30th of this month... :w00t :thumbsup

*buys ticket*

np: Aesop Rock - The Greatest Pac-Man Victory In History (Bazooka Tooth)

05-18-2008 at 12:21 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Free music (if you want it)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com