Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : No Sound
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon No Sound (0)  
Alright, here's the deal:

I have Webfoot DROD installed in c:\\drod
I have Caravel 1.5 installed in c:\\program files\\drod
I have AE installed in c:\\program files\\drod-ae

When I installed AE I immediately ran it, from the installation file, and no matter what I do I can't get sound or music to play in AE. It still goes fine in 1.5 though. Here's my potentially relevant hardware:

266 with tons of ram
SB Live!
4Gb free space
TNT Riva 2 Graphics Card

Edit: Almost forgot: I'm running Win98 SE

[Edited by DiMono on 12-08-2003 at 05:40 AM GMT]

12-08-2003 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
icon Update (0)  
So I "ran" lkamusic.zip in to my DROD-AE\\data directory, and now I can hear the .mi_ files but still no sound. So I went digging through my drod.err file, and here's a snippet of that:

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 12/8/03 1:24AM ***
A sound effect failed to load.  Check whether the filenames specified in DROD.INI are correct.
Assertion error in line 288 of E:\\data\\DRODCVS\\Caravel\\DROD\\DrodSound.cpp: "Sound effect failed to load."
A sound effect failed to load.  Check whether the filenames specified in DROD.INI are correct.
Assertion error in line 288 of E:\\data\\DRODCVS\\Caravel\\DROD\\DrodSound.cpp: "Sound effect failed to load."
Assertion error in line 402 of E:\\data\\DRODCVS\\Caravel\\FrontEndLib\\Sound.cpp: "Failed to load song.(2)"
*** 12/8/03 1:33AM ***
Assertion error in line 402 of E:\\data\\DRODCVS\\Caravel\\FrontEndLib\\Sound.cpp: "Failed to load song.(2)"

The first sound effect was upon opening the game's start menu. The lkamusic files were designed for 1.5, not 1.6, so that's probably just a missing entry. Anyone know what it is? The file is hmm.wav

The second sound effect and the first song were when I restored to level 25.

The last song was when the credits started to roll. I copied sermon.mp3 to the directory, and it just didn't load. So that's where I am now, as I head to bed. I guess most of the Webfoot music is better than nothing.

12-08-2003 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: No Sound (0)  
The sound never works on my computer, but I never get any error message.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-11-2003 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Update (0)  
DiMono wrote:
So I "ran" lkamusic.zip in to my DROD-AE\\data directory, and now I can hear the .mi_ files but still no sound. So I went digging through my drod.err file, and here's a snippet of that:
DiMono, sorry for the later reply. Are you still wrangling with this?

-Erik

12-13-2003 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
I fixed my .ini file to get rid of the error messages, but I still have no sound effects. It's really quite disconcerting going through Smallsome Swicks without sound. Incidentally, as I posted in the SS thread in the Holds forum, I found a way to clear the Goblin Army room the first time entering the room, may I remove the other exits and add it to my hold?

12-14-2003 at 02:20 AM
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
I fixed my .ini file to get rid of the error messages, but I still have no sound effects. It's really quite disconcerting going through Smallsome Swicks without sound.
Hmm. So your error file has no messages in it now?
Incidentally, as I posted in the SS thread in the Holds forum, I found a way to clear the Goblin Army room the first time entering the room, may I remove the other exits and add it to my hold?
Oh, never mind what I wrote about this in the other topic. I understand now why you'd want to add the room without exits. Myself, I never made it through the room without leaving, so I am fairly impressed. In fact, I purposefully designed it to force you to leave. I guess I needed some more goblins or something.

-Erik

12-14-2003 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono

File: drod.err (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Other
It's got one message in it from a sound file that fluked to not loading or something, upon entering the editor one time. It still bugs me that I can't hear Beethro split the tar.

And adding more goblins won't really do anything to my solution, just because of how it goes. I was going to post my demo to show off, but since I'm splicing it in my own hold it seems somehow counter-productive. I can email it to you if you'd like.

Edit: Here's my log file. The bad demo is from a room in the ending that I need to redo under AE.

[Edited by DiMono on 12-14-2003 at 03:49 AM GMT: added my log file]

12-14-2003 at 03:44 AM
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
It's got one message in it from a sound file that fluked to not loading or something, upon entering the editor one time. It still bugs me that I can't hear Beethro split the tar.
EDIT: Deleted advice I gave. After rereading top post, turns out it was all rather pointless.

New advice: Jeez man, I don't know. We'd probably need to make some custom builds to try out on you, and I don't have time for it right now. It's possible that the latest version of our sound library distributed with DROD:AE doesn't agree with your configuration.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 12-17-2003 at 02:01 AM GMT]

12-17-2003 at 01:16 AM
DiMono
icon Re: No Sound (+1)  
Resurrection for a topical update:

I just set up my new computer, which is quite nice for what I paid for it, and I copied my DROD directory piecemeal from one system to the other. On my new system, running Win XP Pro, sounds work just fine, thank you very much, so it seems to be a conflict between AE, and Win98SE with a SB Live!

I have no idea just how difficult this will actually be to track down and solve, but there ya go.

03-06-2004 at 06:57 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : No Sound
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com