Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Level 10 The Path of the Lord (SW)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AnneAardvark
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
IP: Logged
icon Level 10 The Path of the Lord (SW) (0)  
Maybe I found a bug.
You enter this room as Jax but after moving 1 crate into position you must exit via another path and are transformed into Lucas. The problem is that there are two diagonal movements required which Lucas can't do. Easy enough just do them first before transforming. My problem is the keyboard reading routine is buggy and I constantly get double moves and have to undo all the time (which I can live with). This room has the row of crates one square in from the top so you must be on the top row when pushing them, what happens when I try to move onto the top row and get a double movement? Yep, I exit the room and have to re-enter and restart it. But I am now Lucas and there appears to be no way to change back to Jax, not this room and not the one above it. I am saved as Lucas only.

What Can I DO?? I don't want to abandon the game, not at level 10!!. :-O

[Last edited by AnneAardvark at 10-15-2007 12:44 PM]
10-15-2007 at 12:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: Level 10 The Path of the Lord (SW) (0)  
Hi,

Yes, its a bug. You probably have changed to Lucas, and then exited the room.

What you can do now is to restore from a previous room (NE).

My problem is the keyboard reading routine is buggy and I constantly get double moves and have to undo all the time (which I can live with).

A suggestion: Try running WQ windowed. You can also try decreasing the value of the "Smooth movement factor" variable in the options screen.
Hope that helps.
10-16-2007 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AnneAardvark
icon Re: Level 10 The Path of the Lord (SW) (+1)  
I can (did) restore two rooms back (this exit path runs around and around in a spiral so restoring exactly one room back is not possible).
I have to re-do a couple of very difficult rooms again but its better than having to give up on the whole game.
Thanx for the advice Mr Googa, I was unaware I could restore to a previous room.

One thing I discovered also which may prevent a repeat of the error is to press left shift when entering this room which locks the room so it can't be exited, of course I'll press it again when I want to exit. It puts a small 'x' center left and right of the display to indicate its on.

I dislike playing windowed mode as its too distracting (and little). I have smooth movement on 1 and funky movement off so its almost the same as Drod control wise. Like I said, I can live with it as long as the undo keeps working, sometimes it doesn't though, like I go 3 moves instead of two. Its funny though because if you move two spaces (accidently) and press undo, you go back two spaces, so its not the keyboard reading thats the problem, the game is moving two spaces for one keypress.

I'm going to finish this game (and Dreams) as its very good, not that I need to say so.
10-16-2007 at 06:45 AM
googa
Thanks Anne. :)

the game is moving two spaces for one keypress.
Weird. This kind of bug is hard to fix, because it occurs only in a few computers. Anyway, I'll take a look at that.
10-17-2007 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AnneAardvark
Seeing it seems I am addressing a fellow programmer maybe something as simple as a timed delay between consecutive game moves would work eg: if less than 50mS has passed since the last move then ignore it. It would limit the speed you could travel if the key is held in but it should work. That way you wouldn't have to try and find such an elusive bug. If it did affect game play in other unexpected ways then maybe it could be an option.

I really do enjoy this game so, personally, I think its worth perfecting.

BTW, I'm past the level 10 and at the end part of level 11. Only a couple hours of play per day is possible.
10-19-2007 at 09:55 AM
googa
This bug isn't occurring anywhere else.
Try restoring the default values under options menu, or changing keyboard delay or hold key delay values.

Another thing: Keeping LControl pressed while moving, makes the
hero run without any delays. Its useful for long distance navigation. Make sure you aren't playing with that key being pressed.
10-19-2007 at 04:03 PM
AnneAardvark
OK, I just restored default values but I had to alter smooth movement to 1 (just too slow otherwise) and I set funky movement to 0% (too funkey for me, looks like drunk movement). It seems OK but I need another decent session to check it properly.

I'll be back.

BTW: did I mention I'm running Vista?

10-20-2007 at 07:40 AM
googa
That may be the problem. Some weird bugs were reported while running the game under Vista.
10-20-2007 at 01:54 PM
AnneAardvark
I restored all options to default but to get it to play nice on my system I altered the following:

Action Wait: to NumPad 5 (like Drod)
Keyboard Delay from 0 to 2
Smooth Movement Factor from 12 to 1
Movement Funky from 60% to 0%

All else left at default. I must say my last session which lasted over an hour I experienced no double movements at all but the responsiveness is a little slow at times and I have to repeat some movements as they don't register the first press. This is still better than the double movement though.

Vista: I do get strange screen flashes occasionally and the odd crash where the game exits totally and I have to restart (at least the progress is saved often and you don't lose too much game play). But the problems are not very often and its still quite playable. Its funny as I was unable to play the game at all while I was using XP so for me Vista is a big boost.

I am now about 1/3 through level 12 and still enjoying it.

10-22-2007 at 12:24 AM
googa
One idea, Anne:

Press F12 to check the FPS. If you have a low average FPS rate, (less than 18, I think), this may be causing the responsiveness problem.
10-22-2007 at 12:51 AM
AnneAardvark
On a room with about 50 bad fluffies on it I'm getting about 13fps, untill I play some more and get off this room I can't get a better average.
The responsiveness is still quite playable, I'm comparing it to the mighty DROD games so its probably a bit unfair (even DROD crashed a few times on my system). Like I said its still much better than the double movements.
It would appear that the game doesn't use any hardware help and is all software rendered, maybe even without using DirectX (otherwise I would expect a much higher fps like what I get in other games).
I have played quite a few rooms now and haven't experienced any double movements, so it must have been one of my optional settings. So I'm thankful for help in that area anyhow. :D
10-24-2007 at 08:03 AM
googa
Windows Vista is the problem. I've got 60+ FPS in a lot of low end computers. Plus, if your PC can run Vista, It should be able do run WQ without any problems at maximum speed.

It was made using DirectX for graphics rendering. I think the new Windows should be compatible with Microsoft products. :)

Anyway, its good to know it still can be played under Vista.
10-25-2007 at 03:52 PM
AnneAardvark
I've played many rooms now, not a single double movement, I've grown acustom to the slightly slower response and now I don't even notice it. fps ranged from about 8 in rooms with hundreds of fires burining to about 25 with a few critters in it. Vista is slow with refreshing the screen on a lot of games but on most high end 3D games I get about 10-20% speed increase over XP (same system). Vista is DirectX v10 but can use DirectX v9 on demand (I'm not sure on how and when it decides).

Off subject:
I notice a lot of times I visit here looking for an answer for a difficult room and this forum is seriously lacking in that department (unlike Drod where there's a solution to every room). There must have been quite a few people finish the two games (Master Orion and Dreams) to have a solution to every room. Maybe there needs to be some incentive for them to post the info. I know I could always post a question but hey, I'm lazy and don't like waiting. Maybe I will have to before I reach the end. (Lvl 13 4W ATM, I'll go back to it now)

[Last edited by AnneAardvark at 10-28-2007 09:40 AM]
10-28-2007 at 09:40 AM
googa
WQ is a game for just a few people. It is deliberate.
10-28-2007 at 03:27 PM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Do you check my post in the Ordered Level Hints thread?
Since amb didn't update for a while, I tried to add all the more recent ones (unfortunately, this makes my post not be at the top). Level 13 4W is indeed not on my list, but a good number are (since amb doesn't have anything for Dreams).

I'm not sure whether or not I should add this topic to the list, since it's really just a glitch.

10-28-2007 at 04:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Level 10 The Path of the Lord (SW)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com