Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Sonics in SSB Brawl (Oh yes he is!)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1073
IP: Logged
icon Sonics in SSB Brawl (0)  
Today, it was shown that Sonic the Hedgehog will be in SSB Brawl. See the update site if you think I'm lying. Another reson along side new goiodies to spend around £40 for Brawl. They said it wouldn't happen, but it did!

10-10-2007 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: Sonics in SSB Brawl (0)  
And so what started as an April Fools Joke several years ago at EGM finally comes to pass. Wow.

10-10-2007 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Yep. I'm pretty happy about it. I'm now hoping for Mega Man to be the next 3rd party character introduced. Not AS likely as Sonic was, but pretty likely none the less.
10-10-2007 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I personally was holding my breath, though I couldn't think of any reason why he wouldn't be in. Reasons:

1) After it was shown that Snake was in, other 3rd-parties were clear (and later confirmed)
2) Sega has been working to increase their relationship with Nintendo in the past few years - this is a great way.
3) No game company could possibly not want to put their character in a SSB game - rumor says that Konami was almost on it's knees to get Snake it, so I can't see why it wouldn't apply to any other company.

Ezlo wrote: I'm now hoping for Mega Man to be the next 3rd party character introduced. Not AS likely as Sonic was, but pretty likely none the less.
I second the motion. IIRC, there were going to be 3 or 4 3rd party characters, so there's still room.
10-10-2007 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
This game is turning into the DROD 3 of Smash Bros. games all right...jam-packed with all the new features you could possibly want and then some. And then there will still be more people want included. And not without reason!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-10-2007 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
I'm looking forward to the Subspace Emissary story mode.

10-10-2007 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Yep, Co-op in the Single Player is looking good. :D
10-11-2007 at 04:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
A dude I know who works for Konami (he knows nothing about Brawl, however) said something funny: because there appears to be Sonic stages in the single-player mode, it's likely that the best Sonic game in the last ten years will be made by Nintendo.

I also understand that Snake was in because the producer of Smash was actually working for Konami at that point, and Nintendo lured him back. Mega Man might turn up, but frankly I wouldn't count on it - I wouldn't be surprised if Cloud Strife turned up, however, considering that Square Enix has a pretty close relationship with Nintendo these days.

10-11-2007 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: kirby.jpg (13.3 KB)
Downloaded 667 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Sonic's in SSB Brawl (+1)  
*trompes le monde*

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 10-11-2007 08:48 AM]
10-11-2007 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
icon Re: Sonics in SSB Brawl (+1)  
I feel angry, for some reason. I honestly hope that this is a joke, because nowadays Sonic turns everything he touches into crap. If the game is still good, (Which is far more likely then it sucking because of one character that probably won't be bad if they change his voice.) Then I'd probably play as him once in a while.

In other news, this game will be awesome.

(Never mind this post. I'd delete it if I didn't hate the idea of deleting)

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 10-11-2007 10:08 PM]
10-11-2007 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Too bad for the delay. Hopefully they can get it done by February 10, though. And this playable demo business: "The problem is Sonic. What to do... I suppose if we’re going to all this trouble, perhaps we should make him playable." means that they are presumably still quite far from finishing Sonic, so the delay is justified. After all, you can't release a game if a player-character isn't finished!

10-15-2007 at 05:14 PM
Ezlo
Sonic was playable at the most recent conference, check out the article at Gamespot.

Plus, I'm sure they wrote the blog articles WAY in advance.
10-15-2007 at 05:25 PM
Mattcrampy
I expect the delay is for extra playtesting, bug fixing and balancing. By this point, much of the work should be done - they might add a couple of third-party characters, but other than that, it'd be balancing and edge case bugs.

10-16-2007 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Yep, much like between 99 and 100 percent on the TCB bar.

11-04-2007 at 12:35 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
You know, word on the street is that the Sonics are going to Oklahoma City.

11-04-2007 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Boo!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-06-2007 at 06:14 PM
Thy Dungeonman
Rank Points: 32
Have they confirmed Beethro as a character yet? He's a shoo-in, man. Screw Sonic, Beethro's what I'm waiting for. He could turn invisible and spawn mimics. Final smash would be FERGUNDOS EVERYWHERE. I'm predicting him as an update ANY TIME NOW. (and hopefully the Slayer will be more than an assist trophy)
11-07-2007 at 10:46 AM
Rabscuttle
Thy Dungeonman wrote:
Have they confirmed Beethro as a character yet? He's a shoo-in, man. Screw Sonic, Beethro's what I'm waiting for. He could turn invisible and spawn mimics. Final smash would be FERGUNDOS EVERYWHERE. I'm predicting him as an update ANY TIME NOW. (and hopefully the Slayer will be more than an assist trophy)

Check my post above. What more proof could you possibly need?

B => Mimic Potion (like an Ice Climber but copies exactly (why am I explaining what a mimic potion does?))
Up-B => Clone Potion (basically a teleport up)
Side-B => Back-swipe
Down-B => Decoy Potion (stationary double - damages combatants that hit its sword, attracts missiles)

Final Smash => Can't argue with fegundos galore.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-07-2007 11:39 AM]
11-07-2007 at 11:36 AM
Ezlo
Well, on a somewhat related note, hopefully, I tried out Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. And while it's not the best collection of sport themed minigames out there; you just can't go wrong playing as Dr. Robotnick. I wish more games had him as a playable character. :)
11-09-2007 at 04:56 AM
Rabscuttle
woo! Captain Olimar (+ pikmin) is a playable character! The scale is completely wrong, but I guess you want to stop the other combatants just stepping on him. :)

I'm curious for more info on what his moves are - from the brief description there now I have no idea how his combat style is going to work. If I had to guess, I'd say some bizarre cross between Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers. They do most of your fighting for you, but you're still the leader and they follow you around.

Aw man, I don't think there's an Australian release date yet. :(

01-09-2008 at 07:50 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I must say I'm really happy to hear that Olimar's in. I was backing him the whole way, and it's good to finally know that they haven't passed up this cool character. He seems to follow a different paradigm, like some other characters (the Trainer comes to mind). I also really like that music. It sounds more playful than the original music in Pikmin, and I want to keep listening to it over and over.
01-09-2008 at 03:15 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
The composer of Brawl's Pikmin music is also the composer for the sublime Chrono series. Well worth checking out if you enjoy JRPGs, particularly Chrono Trigger which is still one of the best in the genre.

01-10-2008 at 02:35 AM
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
Chrono Trigger was the only good one in the series.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
01-10-2008 at 03:45 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Chrono Cross was awesome, until halfway through the game when the designers forgot what the plot was.
01-10-2008 at 08:08 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Banjooie wrote:
Chrono Cross was awesome, until halfway through the game when the designers forgot what the plot was.

They didn't forget. They were just swapped for their doubles from various dimensions, each of whom had been working on a diffrent version of Chrono Cross with a significantly diffrent plot. It is interesting to note that despite the Chrono in the name, nowhere in the multiverse was a Chrono Cross version with actual time travel ever created.

01-10-2008 at 08:16 AM
Mattcrampy
Banjooie wrote:

Admittedly much of my love for Chrono Cross is due to that excellent music in the opening, and guess who's responsible for that?

01-10-2008 at 11:43 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I beat Chrono Cross, but never did beat Chrono Trigger (only played on emulator). If they release CT on the Virtual Console or the DS I'd buy it and probably play through the entire thing finally.

I also really loved the opening music in Chrono Cross, and in fact that opening movie got my ex-fiancee, a music teacher, interested in playing video games.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-11-2008 at 05:39 PM
Mattcrampy
ex-fiancee

One of the more painful words in the English language, I'd gather.

Oneiromancer wrote:
If they release CT on the Virtual Console or the DS I'd buy it and probably play through the entire thing finally.

This is fairly unlikely - Square Enix have claimed that the Virtual Console is too 'confusing' for their customers, although commentators have looked at Square Enix's release catalogue for the past twelve months, which has consisted mostly of full-priced ports and remakes of their back-catalogue games, and wondered whether Square Enix might not have an ulterior motive here.

Also apparently the licensing is an issue.

01-12-2008 at 08:09 AM
Malorie
Rank Points: 63
Mattcrampy wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
If they release CT on the Virtual Console or the DS I'd buy it and probably play through the entire thing finally.

This is fairly unlikely - Square Enix have claimed that the Virtual Console is too 'confusing' for their customers, although commentators have looked at Square Enix's release catalogue for the past twelve months, which has consisted mostly of full-priced ports and remakes of their back-catalogue games, and wondered whether Square Enix might not have an ulterior motive here.

Also apparently the licensing is an issue.

Yes, darn that confusing system! Selecting a game and downloading it, it boggles the mind!

Now, them releasing seven different versions of Final Fantasy 1 over the years... that's much less confusing. Why, it makes perfect sense.

(Though admittedly, I did enjoy the PSP remake of it, with its CD quality music and hi-res graphics... but its still no excuse to not release things on virtual console as well!)

01-12-2008 at 08:47 AM
Mattcrampy
And credit cards! It's so much easier for people to just walk into the store and buy the game, walking past the point cards you can use to go home and download the game onto the system.

Of course, this hasn't stopped them from releasing games they're never going to touch again onto the VC, like Actraiser, because apparently it's only confusing for RPG fans, who as we all know know nothing about figuring out how numerical systems work and get baffled by the prospect of selecting options from a list.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 01-12-2008 10:15 AM]
01-12-2008 at 10:15 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Sonics in SSB Brawl (Oh yes he is!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com