Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Monkey's Tutorial of TCB (Tutorial)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

2.7/10 (25 votes)
σ 1.15
Author Name:monkey2.0
Submitted By:Monkey
Hold Name:Monkey's Tutorial of TCB
Theme:Tutorial
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:51
Number of Monsters:1129
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-1 (+0 / -1)
Poster Message
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
IP: Logged
icon Re: Monkey's Tutorial of TCB (0)  
I thought the fun rating on this seemed rather low. For myself, I enjoyed it because it had a couple of little puzzles as opposed to something that simply said "this is a snake, it dies when its head is trapped" and you enter the room with the serpent already trapped.

I enjoyed the secret room, even if it was tedious, and being able to play as different characters added a bit of fun. So thanks, it was better than most beginner tutorials.

06-17-2011 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Yep. This hold covers nearly everything about the basics of various elements. However, "basics" really is the right term for it. This hold rarely goes into any detail about a given element, and in some cases, provides no explanation at all. Because this is only a tutorial, I would not have expected every element to have a properly extensive explanation in every scenario (just look at how long Advanced Concepts is, even with only a handful of elements), but something more filling would have probably given this hold a much better rating.

After looking at tutorials for a long while and putting conclusions together, I have found that the people with the most ambition to create a lengthy tutorial containing many elements are, inevitably, the most likely to fail or make a bad tutorial. That raises the question: Is great ambition most likely to lead to failure? Or do most people with great ambition simply not have the skills and determination necessary to succeed with their DROD-related desires? Advanced Concepts confuses the issue, since its creator had great ambition to create an amazing tutorial, but also had and brought together the skill and determination to complete the project. What are your thoughts? (Preferably not in this thread.)

My rating for this hold is,
4 for fun
1.5 for brains
45/100 approval rating.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
06-17-2011 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
My thoughts (in this thread) is that it raises no questions... Making a tutorial hold is just very difficult.

Advanced Concepts was a team effort and I doubt we'll ever get anything more comprehensive. It's a shame you felt it confused things...

By all means, feel free to make the perfect tutorial hold if you like. I doubt anyone would mind :)
06-19-2011 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Syntax wrote:
Advanced Concepts was a team effort and I doubt we'll ever get anything more comprehensive. It's a shame you felt it confused things...
By "confused things", I meant it complicated the subject matter of "why so many tutorials are bad" and the reasons behind them, not the elements of the game themselves. I agree that Advanced Concepts was very comprehensive.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
06-19-2011 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Monkey's Tutorial of TCB (Tutorial)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com