Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Demo playback
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged
icon Demo playback (0)  
The ability to increase or decrease the speed of the demos when they\'re loaded from the F6 menu. It\'s really impressive seeing Beethro fly through rooms, and it looks really smooth and cool. ^_-
02-07-2003 at 03:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Demo playback (0)  
That would be sehr cool

02-07-2003 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Rather than just increasing the speed it would be nice to be able to set the delay between moved so they are all the same. That way it would be nice and fast and any pauses made in the play would be elimated.
02-13-2003 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
I would like this too. I\'ve got the game set to record a demo everytime I solve a room. But when I go back to view some of the demos, many of them take forever to watch because I either stopped to think about my next move or went to the bathroom or was interupted by real life, etc.

02-13-2003 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Another idea for demos could be a step by step playpack where you click a button and one move occurs. Perhaps even an option to reverse moves.
03-22-2003 at 04:22 AM
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
The personal reply facility is an exceptional feature of this truly exceptional game but, as has been said above, we look so plodding in real time unless we are having a really heavy smite (mmmmmmah).

We know that the demos can be speeded up from the five examples on the game home page. I have estimated that these are played at four times normal speed from the opening to Level 14, Twice North. It takes about 5 seconds for two regenerations of the Tar Mother while I can press the 5 key sixty times in about 20 seconds.

Anyway it is probably too late for those of us who have already started or could say x3, x4 speeds (normal sound speed of course) be downloaded as an add-on?

08-29-2003 at 04:45 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Mike Rimer wrote this into DROD:AE. On the demo screen, use up and down arrows to change playback speed. I think space pauses.

-Erik

08-29-2003 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Demo playback (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Mike Rimer wrote this into DROD:AE. On the demo screen, use up and down arrows to change playback speed. I think space pauses.

-Erik

It's even in the help. I guessed there might be such a feature from the prerecorded demo playback speed (without ever thinking of looking at the help) but I tried the left and right arrows, which just stop the demo. Onscreen video style controls might be nice (since this is the requests forum...) Play, play without all those coffee break length pauses, increase playback speed, rewind, frame back/forward, pause, stop.

Some rooms might be quite interesting to watch in reverse :)
08-29-2003 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
ErikH2000 wrote:
Actually, somebody else wrote that. <ahem ahem> :)

I thought about adding reverse, but that was a lot harder (what I did was pretty trivial). Maybe step-by-step and reversing will make it into a future version.

08-29-2003 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
How about in the future, when the demo is paused with space, then we could use the left and right arrows to go forward and back a move. Holding down LEFT would then give you reverse. :) Pressing left will pause automatically, and right will just skip to the next move when unpaused (to skip the coffee hour breaks).

(Yeah, Matt put this in. He's a genius!)

[Edited by mrimer on 08-29-2003 at 08:01 PM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-29-2003 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Sounds like a plan!

08-29-2003 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Demo playback (0)  
Schik wrote:
Actually, somebody else wrote that. <ahem ahem> :)
Man, you don't get any respect, do you? Sorry, about that. I can't find a sheepish smiley.

-Erik

08-29-2003 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Demo playback (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Man, you don't get any respect, do you? Sorry, about that. I can't find a sheepish smiley.
What?? You mean that of all the SF tasks we've seen come and go, you can't remember who did each one?

But seriously - I probably should have kept quiet, that way when it crashes we can all point at Mike. :)

08-29-2003 at 08:40 PM
Atch
This would be all very well, indeed wonderful, except that the up and down arrows do not work for me and just close the demo each time they are pressed.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Is there a way round it?

08-30-2003 at 01:23 AM
ErikH2000
Atch wrote:
This would be all very well, indeed wonderful, except that the up and down arrows do not work for me and just close the demo each time they are pressed.
Are you using a beta version? It will only work in DROD:AE. In the first version of DROD, I'd expect it to work as you've described.

-Erik

08-30-2003 at 01:37 AM
Atch
I don’t know Erik but I would say that it was the latest version. I downloaded a version available on DROD.net on 14th August. We were asked to choose a mirror (whatever that is in this context) from one of various locations around the world: I chose HEAnet in Dublin.

I am going away for a week, visiting my brother in Scotland, and will not be able to communicate further until next Saturday (6th Sept). He also plays DROD and works in computers (I don’t) so we’ll see if he can sort me out.

Thanks

08-30-2003 at 07:39 AM
Dorus
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Why not just decrease the max time recorded for each move to 3 seconds or so.
So that the 2 hour break change into a 3 second break anyway.
Or the other way around, don't play more than 3 seconds wait each move while showing demo's.
08-30-2003 at 08:54 PM
ErikH2000
Dorus wrote:
Why not just decrease the max time recorded for each move to 3 seconds or so.
So that the 2 hour break change into a 3 second break anyway.
Or the other way around, don't play more than 3 seconds wait each move while showing demo's.
Actually, we already do that. The maximum delay is about 2 and a half seconds.

-Erik

08-30-2003 at 09:48 PM
ErikH2000
Atch wrote:
I don’t know Erik but I would say that it was the latest version.
On the title screen it should say "Architects' Edition" under "DROD". Otherwise you have the last stable version of DROD which would not include the new demo controls.

-Erik

08-30-2003 at 09:49 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Demo playback
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com