Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : High scores in 3.1 ((are screwy))
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged

File: so very wrong.jpg (149.9 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
icon High scores in 3.1 (0)  
As you can see from the attached screenshot, the high score information that DROD (the new patch) is getting from the server is...ah, not quite right. In fact, exiting the F6 screen and re-entering it showed that three other people had conquered the room (none of them in less than 297 moves).

To make matters worse, my scores for this entire hold now seem to be rejected by the spider: though they do appear in the F6 screen (barring aberrations like the one in the attached screenshot), they apparently go away again; I don't have any scores after a full-hold upload at 9:21pm this evening.
10-02-2007 at 09:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: High scores in 3.1 (+1)  
I'm pretty sure the spider is still not running 3.1 so that would explain why your demos aren't being accepted (I have the same issue).

If I understand correctly, once the spider is upgraded, *all* existing demos will be rechecked server side (submission timestamps being used to work out the rankings). Therefore we won't need to do a full upload.

As for the F6 screen reporting wrong moves, I get this all the time - either wrong number of moves, demos not being listed, "This is not published on Caravel", demos listed from another room or some such issue. I often have to hit F6 and esc a few times in order to get the real info.

Similar issue with the chat.

I haven't heard anyone else having this problem though til now...
10-02-2007 at 09:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
icon Re: High scores in 3.1 (0)  
Syntax wrote:
I'm pretty sure the spider is still not running 3.1 so that would explain why your demos aren't being accepted (I have the same issue).
Are you sure? After posting this message last night, I went to the "change location" screen and uploaded scores for the hold (Terrakept Resonant), and now they're all listed. Specifically, the ones I was missing are listed, all of the timestamped as "4:13am".

So it's a little screwier than just "the spider isn't running 3.1"; it does recognize 3.1 demos, it just doesn't recognize them on a room-by-room basis.
10-02-2007 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
The spider has not yet been updated with the 3.1 code.

10-02-2007 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Tahnan wrote:
After posting this message last night, I went to the "change location" screen and uploaded scores for the hold (Terrakept Resonant), and now they're all listed. Specifically, the ones I was missing are listed, all of the timestamped as "4:13am".
This actually happened to me too (with Terrakept Resonant), and did confuse me somewhat. It seems that "Upload my scores" bypasses the demo checks or something similar... All my other demos have been correctly rejected.

[Last edited by Syntax at 10-02-2007 04:49 PM]
10-02-2007 at 04:48 PM
Tahnan
Schik wrote:
The spider has not yet been updated with the 3.1 code.
Huh. Do you know, then,

(a) why it's accepting mass-upload demos?
(b) whether the screwy display of scores (see attached image to first slide) is related to this fact, or if there's some other problem?
10-02-2007 at 05:30 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Mass-upload of demos has historically had some differences/problems with regards to how CaravelNet accepts them. One of the main ones that I'm reminded of is the #1 History not updating correctly with Mass Uploads, as an example.

Also, Syntax, I do get that issue with demos from the wrong room appearing when I view rooms through F6. Mostly in JtRH, that is, but I'd suspect the same problem is manifesting there. (And I've also had double uploads in JtRH when the server's particularly slow... all this was in the beta version of 2.0.16, so maybe when I upgrade and continue, I'll stop seeing it... but given that you're still seeing it in your sessions, I'm going to be a little hesitant about that)

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 10-02-2007 06:27 PM]
10-02-2007 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
So I'm not the only one. Reassures me slightly - thought I was going crazy ;)

I've always this issue as far as I can remember. I've since blamed it on the number of demos I have saved and the fact I run DROD in a window. I've changed everything else (including flat), so now I just put up with it.
10-02-2007 at 07:10 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Syntax wrote:
So I'm not the only one. Reassures me slightly - thought I was going crazy ;)

And now you think you're not?

10-02-2007 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
jbluestein wrote:
:D Good point...
10-02-2007 at 07:35 PM
Tahnan
Syntax wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
Er...Syntax? Who're you quoting? There's no post from jbluestein in this thread. Are you feeling OK?
10-03-2007 at 02:11 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Um... jbluestein is three posts above mine.

I wish that man would stay away
10-03-2007 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Tahnan wrote:
Syntax wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
Er...Syntax? Who're you quoting? There's no post from jbluestein in this thread. Are you feeling OK?

Are *you* feeling okay? Common symptoms: posting when half asleep, not noticing posts two above yours?

[Last edited by Jason at 10-03-2007 08:06 PM : speeling]
10-03-2007 at 08:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tahnan wrote:
Iz ve doing evil experimenting on zleep-deprived zubjects again, Dr. Tahnan? :fun

10-03-2007 at 08:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Briareos wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Iz ve doing evil experimenting on zleep-deprived zubjects again, Dr. Tahnan? :fun
Much closer, yes. Sheesh, people, Syntax said he thought he was going crazy, and I was trying to suggest that he was delusional in seeing posts from jbluestein...try to keep up, won't you? :-)
10-09-2007 at 09:09 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Tahnan wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Much closer, yes. Sheesh, people, Syntax said he thought he was going crazy, and I was trying to suggest that he was delusional in seeing posts from jbluestein...try to keep up, won't you? :-)

Sorry...if I'd been more on the ball I would have gone back and deleted my post. But I suspect that someone would still have pointed out that it used to be there...

Josh

10-09-2007 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
jbluestein wrote:
Sorry...if I'd been more on the ball I would have gone back and deleted my post. But I suspect that someone would still have pointed out that it used to be there...
Nuke that post from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

(Finding out how just having watched Dr. Strangelove led to an Aliens quote is left as an exercise for the reader... ;))

np: Supermayer - Planet Of The Sick (Supermayer Save The World)

10-09-2007 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Tahnan wrote:
I was going to explain things to them, but I think that people might have thought I was crazy... I mean, things seems quite clear to me - and you know what they say about *that* :)
10-09-2007 at 10:40 PM
Schik
icon Re: High scores in 3.1 (+2)  
Okay, the spider is up and running, verifying 3.1 demos properly now.

Due to a bug I introduced yesterday, ALL DEMOS THAT WERE MASS-UPLOADED IN THE LAST 24 HOURS OR SO ARE INVALID. Sorry about that. There's not much I can do to fix it. However, mass uploads seem to be working properly now.

Once the spider catches up, I'll have it start re-verifying all of the old demos. Expect this to take a very, very long time.

10-10-2007 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Excellent news!

Thanks!! :)

Now we just need a distributed spider using all those spare CPU cycles from our fellow DRODers ;)
10-10-2007 at 11:43 AM
TFMurphy
icon Re: High scores in 3.1 (+3)  
I'd delay that for a bit, if possible. If the spider currently verifying demos is what's going to be reverifying the old stuff, I'll note that it still adds 1 move per keypress when placing Doubles in JtRH, and 1 move per potion when placing Doubles in TCB (as well as 1 move per clone change). I've tested this by both getting the spider to reverify some old demos of mine, as well as uploading a couple of slightly optimised demos and seeing what it made of them.

On top of that, we've got a bug in 3.1 code that is currently making certain rooms impossible. (I'd love someone like Rabscuttle or someone with a metric ton of saved demos to do an import and see which demos break - it'd be useful, if a little time-consuming, but it'd still be faster than finding this sort of thing out *after* the spider's reverified everything.)
10-10-2007 at 12:47 PM
Syntax
TFMurphy wrote:
(I'd love someone like Rabscuttle or someone with a metric ton of saved demos to do an import and see which demos break - it'd be useful, if a little time-consuming, but it'd still be faster than finding this sort of thing out *after* the spider's reverified everything.)
I'll gladly help out with that... I have nearly 20000 demos. Is it just a case of "Export current player", "Create new player" and import the file?
10-10-2007 at 12:51 PM
TFMurphy
I don't think you even need to "Create New Player" - it should just overwrite your old one. *Do* backup your data files first though - broken demos will be deleted by the import, I believe.

Demos that break upon verification should be listed in drod.log in the Data subdirectory.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd turn off "Connect to CaravelNet" during this, just in case. I'm not exactly sure where the exact triggers are for DROD deciding to upload demos, but better to be safe than to give the spider another 20k demos it already has to sift through.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 10-10-2007 01:02 PM]
10-10-2007 at 12:52 PM
Schik
Yikes. I saw your bug report the other day and thus have not yet set the spider loose on all of the old demos. This isn't good news... I thought the move count stuff was fixed. I'll definitely hold off on verification until all of this is resolved.

10-10-2007 at 12:53 PM
TFMurphy
Well, it's not all bad news. Been spending the day retrying for my missing high scores that weren't uploading before. I'm happy to say that MetDROiD Prime and Beethro Goes Fourth are now uploading fine (both had rooms with scripting that the 3.0 spider didn't like due to certain inconsistencies in the way they were handled at the time).

Journey to Rooted Hold itself is a problem though. I first documented this issue that continues to plague me here (yes, I realised in retrospect that it was probably the wrong board to bring it up, but it ended up being a DROD-side bug after all in the end, as we'll see). And after recreating the room in TCB, I finally found the cause.

You can get Halph to follow you by bumping him. This is straightforward enough. But, in JtRH (and still in 2.0.16), you can bump him *even if the movement is against a force arrow* (providing Halph is the one on the force arrow and not you). So I was starting the room off in my usual way, which happened to include asking Halph to follow me while he was on a square I normally wouldn't have been able to move to. In JtRH, this was (and still is) legal. In TCB, it is not.

So, yeah, a little bit of an inconsistency there that probably needs to be looked at. At least I *finally* got an optimised demo up that stays now.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 10-11-2007 05:14 PM]
10-11-2007 at 04:31 PM
TFMurphy
Was cleaning up some of my broken demos, and was reminded that the spider still uses the 3.0 version of the main TCB hold. This means that the secret room in Holding Vats will not accept 3.1 demos for that room. Of course, I suspect that once changed, almost everyone is going to have to upload new scores, since the Black Gate falls a little later than usual in the new version.
10-12-2007 at 09:32 PM
TFMurphy
Not sure if this is going to be hold specific, since it does seem to only affect one hold right now (the latest one since the 3.1 update). Alternately, it could just be a problem with how the hold was uploaded.

Basically, larrymurk's new hold "Think Outside The Box" is listed as a unknown version on the Holds board, and any attempt to verify demos ends with the spider rejecting them.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 10-13-2007 01:07 AM]
10-13-2007 at 01:04 AM
Schik
TFMurphy wrote:
Not sure if this is going to be hold specific, since it does seem to only affect one hold right now (the latest one since the 3.1 update). Alternately, it could just be a problem with how the hold was uploaded.

Basically, larrymurk's new hold "Think Outside The Box" is listed as a unknown version on the Holds board, and any attempt to verify demos ends with the spider rejecting them.
Argh. The version increased from 301 to 302, and the server-side code had not been updated to handle that properly. Now I think it has, so everything should be working.

10-13-2007 at 04:33 AM
TFMurphy
It still lists the version as Unknown on the Holds board (so I imagine that will need updating by whoever), but demos are definitely now saving. Thanks.
10-13-2007 at 07:02 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
TFMurphy wrote:
It still lists the version as Unknown on the Holds board (so I imagine that will need updating by whoever), but demos are definitely now saving. Thanks.
That reminds me -- I'm going to update the next patch/build of 2.0.x and 3.1.x to properly label 3.1 holds as such on the Holds screen, and when newer hold versions are produced, these would be labeled as unsupported versions.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-13-2007 at 05:52 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : High scores in 3.1 ((are screwy))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com