Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Spider continually rejecting JtRH demo (JtRH: Eighth Level, 4S2E)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
IP: Logged
icon Spider continually rejecting JtRH demo (+1)  
So. Uploaded my JtRH demos so I can get it complete on my list. Everything seems fine. Replayed 25th Level to get it Conquered. Fine, fine.

Missing a high score. Oh, I think. Look at it: Eighth Level, 4S2E. Fine, replay it. I do so.

It uploads fine, I get a rank for it, everything seems okay.

Then 10 minutes later, it's gone again. Spider invalidated it.

I've tried about five or six times now. I've reentered the room, I've tried both ways I know of completing it. There's no Master Walls, there's no Mimics. I have absolutely no idea why the spider is continually rejecting this room for me and no other. I've even been staying far away from Halph, in case for some reason, he's walking in the way of my sword when the spider looks at it. Nothing.

If anyone has any idea why this is happening, I'd be glad to hear it.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 06-29-2007 01:04 PM]
06-29-2007 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Spider continually rejecting JtRH demo (+1)  
TFMurphy wrote:
If anyone has any idea why this is happening, I'd be glad to hear it.
Can't say what happened, but I just asked the spider to re-verify my own demo for that room, and - *poof*, it's gone... :huh

I guess Schik is going to kill me for it, but I just asked the spider to re-verify his 6th place demo as well... let's see what happens...

Then again, if his demo gets rejected also it's probably a good incentive for him to fix the underlying problem... :D

[Last edited by Briareos at 06-29-2007 03:51 PM]
06-29-2007 at 01:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
(putting all my edits in a new post so they'll get noticed...)

EDIT^1: heh - his demo didn't get rejected... o_O;

I guess I'll compare his and my demo when I get home.

EDIT^2: Well, my demo did was been corrupted... at least Beethro got eaten by a snake, which he didn't when I solved it the first time around.

The new one wasn't rejected (yet), though...

EDIT^3: There goes the neighbourhood - my new demo was rejected as well... I guess that makes 2 of us...

EDIT^4: Ah-hah... my third try which wasn't using Halph to block the snakes stuck... dunno if that helps you...

Maybe you could post your demo that keeps getting rejected here for us to see?

np: Lusine - Falling In (Lusine Remix) (Podgelism)

06-29-2007 at 03:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy

File: JtRH-L8 4S2E Victory Demos.zip (15.6 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's the six demos I've recorded, all of which got rejected. There's a seventh too, the latest, that also got rejected, but also netted a 2nd place Tie (go bugs for promoting optimisation!), so I'm not adding it: the others should be ample. (And no, I didn't copy any demo already up - I've not even watched what they're doing) For the record, I've now tried:

* Completing the previous room again.
* Entering with different sword orientations.
* Staying away from Halph.
* Killing with Halph.
* Waiting ages after Halph has already opened a door.

It's... rather baffling, to say the least.
06-29-2007 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
icon Re: Spider continually rejecting JtRH demo (0)  
Three things I'd like to add.

#1. In retrospect, I probably should've posted this to The Site forum. Could someone move it there, since it's a CaravelNet issue more than DROD itself?

#2. I finally got the spider to accept a demo... unfortunately, the moment I tried to get an optimized version up to actually improve my rank (the demo accepted was a particularly long one), both vanished.

#3. To add insult to injury, the spider's now also continually rejecting my Beethro Goes Fourth (The Fourths Level 1S1W) demo. And considering I even got 2nd place in that room, it's kinda... disheartening.
08-07-2007 at 09:05 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Spider continually rejecting JtRH demo (+2)  
Ah, the one room I am missing.

The room in Beethro goes Fourth is affected because of the scripting - in 3.0 there is a one move pause before the mimics appear. I believe later versions have this problem fixed and the mimics appear when you enter, same as they do in JtRH. (Same problem affected the reverse mimic rooms in Wrong Way)

I think the spider is using 3.0 until the 3.1 patch is made official. Once that happens the room will behave the same in TCB and JTRH and so the spider will accept JtRH demos again.

If you don't want to wait until then, waiting one move when you enter the room should work. Probably.

08-07-2007 at 09:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
As I've just posted on The Site board with regards to the spider, I finally figured out why it was continually rejecting my demos for this room. The reason is an inconsistency between JtRH and TCB mechanics.

In JtRH, you can bump Halph to get him to follow you even if you're going against a Force Arrow's direction. (To be more specific, Halph has to be the one on the force arrow that's blocking you - you can't do this if you're on a Force Arrow that blocks your direction to Halph)

In TCB, you can't. As a result, you won't get Halph to follow you.

Because of this, it's possible to create legal JtRH demos which are not acceptable by the spider for no easily discernable reason (I had to recreate the room in TCB before I figured it out). So really, the change added to TCB should be added to JtRH to make things consistent.

(Oh, and that room in Beethro Goes Forth is working, Rabscuttle, so feel free to go fill in your blanks)

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 10-11-2007 04:46 PM]
10-11-2007 at 04:36 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
TFMurphy wrote:
In JtRH, you can bump Halph to get him to follow you even if you're going against a Force Arrow's direction. (To be more specific, Halph has to be the one on the force arrow that's blocking you - you can't do this if you're on a Force Arrow that blocks your direction to Halph)

In TCB, you can't. As a result, you won't get Halph to follow you.

Because of this, it's possible to create legal JtRH demos which are not acceptable by the spider for no easily discernable reason (I had to recreate the room in TCB before I figured it out). So really, the change added to TCB should be added to JtRH to make things consistent.
Good catch. Yes, the 2.0 behavior is a bug and needs to be fixed in 2.0. Dang, and I just released 2.0.16 too. :(

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-11-2007 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
mrimer wrote:
Dang, and I just released 2.0.16 too. :(
Just call it "2.0.16 Part 2 - The Search for more Money Bucks Bugs" and everybody will point out the Spaceballs reference and forget about the short timespan since the last patch.

Also, I suggest taking a peek at Neverwinter Nights 2 to see patches being released and pulled in rapid succession - yeah, Obsidian do improve the game a lot with each one, but they really should put more betas out for testing prior to release... :rolleyes

np: The Orb - Towers Of Dub (Ambient Mix) (U.F.Orb Remixes)

10-11-2007 at 09:06 PM
mrimer
bump (need to investigate whether this bug has been fixed yet in 2.0)

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-04-2008 09:42 PM]
06-04-2008 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
mrimer wrote:
bump (need to investigate whether this bug has been fixed yet in 2.0)
Yes, this bug was fixed in 2.0, and it might be in some patches (2.0.16.2). I'll make sure it's included everywhere when there is a 2.0.17 patch.

04-19-2009 at 10:00 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Spider continually rejecting JtRH demo (JtRH: Eighth Level, 4S2E)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com