Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Scroll Bug
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kevin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 262
IP: Logged
icon Scroll Bug (0)  
I think I've found a bug that can cause the text on scrolls to be lost. Here's how it happens:

In the editor, place several scrolls in a room, and save the room. Then, delete the scrolls, but when you leave the room don't save changes. When you return to the room, the scrolls will still be there, but some scrolls will be blank, and some scrolls' text will be replaced with another scroll's text, depending on the order in which you created and deleted the scrolls. For example, if you delete the scrolls in the same order that you created them, the first scroll will be blank, and the others will have the text of the last scroll.
11-25-2003 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Scroll Bug (0)  
Interesting, I totally forgot there was an option to turn off the automatic saving of rooms in the editor. Do a lot of people keep it off? I like to hit Escape to exit too much to not have this on as a safety mechanism. But there have been times when I totally screwed a room up and had to redo what I had before. Well, before I just started making room copies to try stuff out in.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-25-2003 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
I never thought about this before either, but the option is clearly in a rather useless location - if you have it on, and want to avoid saving a room, you can't get to it.

I'd say scrap the option, and add a button that allows exiting a room without saving. Or maybe do so and keep the option, if enough people want it.

11-25-2003 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
And in this handy dandy thread I will point out a bug that occured in my hold that may or may not have mentioned before. I'm just too lazy to look through this forum.

Anyhow, if you place a scroll at the entrance to a room, you don't read it if you start on it. That is all.

11-25-2003 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
RoboBob - that's a known issue and I think will be fixed for 1.7.

"Oook!"
11-25-2003 at 02:25 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
While we're on the topic of scroll bugs, I just found out that when I make a scroll then go back to change it, while the little window is up the scroll is marked as an error.

Of course, the screen only comes up on the center menu, but even if you have selected "Orbs," the screen comes up anyways, but even if you select "Scrolls," the scroll is still red.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-28-2003 at 11:58 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
eytanz wrote:
I never thought about this before either, but the option is clearly in a rather useless location - if you have it on, and want to avoid saving a room, you can't get to it.
Yeah, I had the option listed on the room editor screen briefly, but Erik and I decided to try to keep that screen as uncluttered as possible. A simple way to not save changes to a room is just Undo all the modifications (uh, this works, besides the problem with level entrance position alterations, right?).

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-01-2003 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
While we're on the topic of scroll bugs, I just found out that when I make a scroll then go back to change it, while the little window is up the scroll is marked as an error.

Of course, the screen only comes up on the center menu, but even if you have selected "Orbs," the screen comes up anyways, but even if you select "Scrolls," the scroll is still red.
The red indicates that the current scroll (or whatever object) can't/won't be written over by a fresh new object. Additionally, as this happens, you're given the option of editing the text on the existing scroll (which is probably what the user intended to do). I fixed this phenomenon for potions, however.

[Edited by mrimer on 12-01-2003 at 05:52 PM GMT: mentioned potions]

12-01-2003 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Kevin wrote:
I think I've found a bug that can cause the text on scrolls to be lost. Here's how it happens:

You nailed it! Thanks to everyone for finding this. I'll fix it and we'll have a patch out soon!

12-01-2003 at 05:50 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Scroll Bug
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com