Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Use of debian alternatives for web browsers
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1309
IP: Logged
icon Use of debian alternatives for web browsers (+1)  
For those of us on Debian systems, could DROD possibly use the Debian alternatives facility for browser load? Essentially, the user's preferred X11 browser can be found at /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser. I know how to add it easily, but it's really trick's call, as it's very Linux-specific.
09-12-2007 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
icon Re: Use of debian alternatives for web browsers (0)  
I approve of this message.

P.S. Whoot Debian and derivatives!

09-12-2007 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Use of debian alternatives for web browsers (+2)  
export BROWSER=your-favourite-browser-here

:)

Also, the most recent (stable) version of both DROD:TCB and DROD:JtRH uses xdg-open from freedesktop.org's xdg-utils to open web pages, which attempts to detect and use your default browser for that kind of thing. If it doesn't work for you for some reason, first check if you've got an Xdg dir in your DROD install dir (if not, you've got an earlier non-xdg version), and check if there's a debian-specific xdg-utils package you can install, which should hopefully fix it. (A default fallback is provided with DROD, but it's obviously not debian-specific).

I'm trying to avoid hardcoding browsers into the code now since xdg-open is supposed to fix that.

09-18-2007 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Use of debian alternatives for web browsers
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com