Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Phil's Dungeon
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kevin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 262
IP: Logged

File: Phils Dungeon.hold (46.6 KB)
Downloaded 107 times.
License: Other
icon Phil's Dungeon (0)  
This is a new hold I made. It's not finished yet, but I've finished the first four levels, and I decided to release them now so I can get some feedback before finishing the other levels.
It's hard for me to know how difficult the rooms are since I created them, so it might be a bit too hard or too easy. Any feedback on this hold would be appreciated. I hope you enjoy playing it.

Edit: The latest version, containing all nine levels, can now be downloaded here.

[Edited by Kevin on 01-19-2004 at 07:15 AM GMT]
11-23-2003 at 02:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Phil's Dungeon (0)  
It's pretty good so far.....

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-23-2003 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I just finished the first level, which I really enjoyed - I'm looking forward to play the next few levels.

But now I got to go work :(

11-23-2003 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I can't find anyway to get to the right hand side of one east. Is there a secret way to get there?
11-24-2003 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
It's not exactly secret...but you will smack yourself in your forehead when you figure it out.

I myself am stuck on 2N 1W.

11-24-2003 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Ok I was blind. Why is there no smilie of smacking ones self on the head I guess :twak will have to do.

edit. Yeah 2N1W took me a while to get.

[Edited by Scott on 11-24-2003 at 03:32 AM GMT]
11-24-2003 at 03:31 AM
eytanz
I'm now in level 3 - there's quite a jump in difficulty from levels 1 and 2, especially 2N1E and 2N1W.

Level 2 was great, by the way, but a bit repetitive, in the sense that once you solved 2 rooms, it became relatively easy to solve the rest by applying the same tactics.

11-24-2003 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Ok, I'm completely stuck on level 3, 2N2W - I don't seem able to kill the free wraithwing; there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can trap it with Beethro, and the mimic is too far away...

Edit: Never mind, solved it. Boy, I found this room difficult.

[Edited by eytanz on 11-25-2003 at 12:47 AM GMT]

11-24-2003 at 11:47 PM
Kevin
Rank Points: 262
Thanks for all the comments. I guess I might have made level 3, 2N2W a little too hard. I was about to give a clue, but then I saw that you just solved it. I hope you have fun with the rest of the hold.
11-25-2003 at 01:12 AM
eytanz
So far, I've solved all level 4 except 2N and 1W - I really liked 2E and 1S1E - 2E is a rather original puzzle and 1S1E required some nice tricks to get through.

11-25-2003 at 02:05 AM
Scott
I'm actually still stuck on lvl 1 2 east. Can't see anyway to keep that roach off the force arrows.
11-25-2003 at 02:39 AM
eytanz
Woohoo - Just completed the 4th (and final, for now) hold!

As for Level 1 2E-

Click here to view the secret text

11-25-2003 at 02:45 AM
urban
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
Level two was fine, my favourites were 1N and 1N1W.

Iīm stuck on level 3. rooms 2N 2W and 1N 2W,
I donīt particulary like wraithwings, and i havenīt got a clue on how to kill the last wraithwings on these rooms.... :(
11-26-2003 at 01:42 AM
eytanz
2N2W is probably the hardest room in the entire hold. Here's a series of (progressively more explicit) hints:

1N2W I just solved by luck - I wriggled around a bit in the area left free by the red door until I got the wraithwing in a killable place.

11-26-2003 at 02:44 AM
Scott
Can you give me a hint on lvl 1 2 east it appears I am either blind or have gone brain dead.
11-26-2003 at 03:03 AM
eytanz
Oops... I thought you were looking for a hint for 1E. :whistle

Anyway, 2E is a complex room - could you explain exactly where you've stuck? In the beginning? Or have you gotten the roach somewhere already.

p.s. You know that in all the selection, there's no smiley that says "I feel stupid"? I had to use the innocent whistling one instead...

[Edited by eytanz on 11-26-2003 at 03:52 AM GMT]

11-26-2003 at 03:48 AM
Scott
Thing I have tried.

Ovbiously if you hit the top orb the roach is instantly stuck on an arrow. Hitting the second from to straight away yields the same result.

I have tried using the bottom path to pull the roach across then hitting the second orb but it gets stuck then too.

And pulling the roach across and hitting the bottom orb also gets it stuck.

So I guess you could say I am stumped at the start of the room.
11-26-2003 at 04:00 AM
eytanz
Ok, here's how to start the room - let me know if you need help for the rest.

11-26-2003 at 04:07 AM
Scott
Thanks. I was trying something like this but just couldn't see what to do. Got it now onto level 2.
11-26-2003 at 05:47 AM
urban
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
I've finished your hold and it is a nice hold.
L1 - nice and easy
L2 - nice and easy, good aesthetic
L3 - harder than the rest of the hold, 2N1E was really nice, the entrance is very elegant. I prefer levels with less guiding and more killing.
L4 - Very nice I enjoyed it a lot

Good Work

PS: May I sugest less guiding for the next levels???? ;)
11-27-2003 at 01:44 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Level 3 is giving me trouble as well as everyone else, but I thought I should mention this one thing...3N 1W could be made a bit harder. I assumed that you had to lure both wraithwings out and kill them on one of the breakable walls. But you can just easily kill both of them on the West wall, since even with the pit they can't go anywhere. But it is possible to solve it by using one wraithwing to lure the other one out, then killing one when they both come at you, then taking the other one over to the breakable wall. Was that the intended solution?

I might be asking for help on 2N 1W but I will give it a few more tries...I can get to the final orb on the left but getting back always gets me. Grrr...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-03-2003 at 01:41 AM
Oneiromancer
Nope, made it through...now on level 4. I just want to say that 1S 1E is insane. I can't believe I beat it. Very nicely done.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-03-2003 at 03:02 AM
eytanz
Yeah, L4 1S 1E is one of my favourite rooms in this hold - and that's saying a lot - it starts out relatively easy and you think you figure it out by the middle, but then at the end nothing you seemed to do before works and it takes thinking out of the box you just built for yourself in order to solve it...

12-03-2003 at 04:58 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I just started playing this one this morning but I'm stuck on Level 1 2n 1w. I'm sure I'm missing something simple but I can't kill the two roaches behind the doors in the top left corner. Ummm, HELP!
12-03-2003 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Small hint

Slightly larger hint

Oneiro I really could use a hint myself on Lvl3 2N 1W. I got stuck at the point you said can't seem to get back to the final orb.
12-03-2003 at 07:53 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Cheers Scott. Now 1n 1e is doing my head in. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that playing DROD in the morning after a night with little sleep is NOT a good idea :?
12-03-2003 at 08:46 AM
Oneiromancer
Scott wrote:
Oneiro I really could use a hint myself on Lvl3 2N 1W. I got stuck at the point you said can't seem to get back to the final orb.

Speaking from memory, at least until I fire up my laptop tomorrow, this is what I did, in general terms

If someone else has a more elegant solution I'd love to hear it. And if that wasn't good enough for you, Scott, I can post a demo when I get to work.

Game on,

12-03-2003 at 09:03 AM
Scott
Thanks I got it.

12-04-2003 at 03:07 AM
Oneiromancer
Scott wrote:

Game on,

12-04-2003 at 07:30 AM
Scott
Arg I thought I was going to be onto level 4 by now but no theres another room I can't do on level. I hate directing wraithwings. In 3N1E I can get the wraithwing out of the top part. I can even move it down to the bottom row but I can't get the one in the bottom section out. It always gets stuck on the horizontal force arrows. Anyone got a hint?
12-05-2003 at 03:41 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Phil's Dungeon
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes