Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 and demos not uploading
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon 3.1 and demos not uploading (0)  
I hate to be a pain, but I've been playing through a few holds recently and none of my demos are accepted by the spider. This is because I'm using version 3.1 if I understand correctly. As much as I want to help test this new version, I'd also like to see my scores uploaded. As it stands, I have approx 30 #1s which won't appear in the high scores. #1s are very important to me, and the longer I wait, the more chance there is losing said scores (I've spotted at least 2 which have since been equalled).

If it's too complicated then fair enough, but could the spider also check demos using the 3.1 engine? Either that or just accept demos using the 3.0 engine regardless of the original hold version? I doubt *all* my demos are invalidated by the changes in 3.1.

It's also fairer on the other players as my score will jump up suddenly once 3.1 is released. It almost feels like I'm cheating by playing "offline" (ie I can see everyon's solutions yet mine can't be seen).
09-03-2007 at 09:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: 3.1 and demos not uploading (0)  
Syntax wrote:
If it's too complicated then fair enough, but could the spider also check demos using the 3.1 engine? Either that or just accept demos using the 3.0 engine regardless of the original hold version? I doubt *all* my demos are invalidated by the changes in 3.1.
I think what's happening is that, because 3.1 is a major game iteration, the spider's 3.0 import process is just summarily kicking them all out because it is written to ignore imports from future game versions. [dev stuff=I believe this could be easily fixed in the meantime by having Matt update the spider's code to say it's using the "302" game file format instead of "301" (see DRODLib/GameConstants.h) without changing anything else.]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-04-2007 06:15 PM]
09-04-2007 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
mrimer wrote:
I think what's happening is that, because 3.1 is a major game iteration, the spider's 3.0 import process is just summarily kicking them all out because it is written to ignore imports from future game versions.
Thanks for looking at this. I was hoping it was an issue like that... I expect some demos might get rejected due to engine changes, but most demos should be accepted without having to change the spider logic.
09-04-2007 at 09:01 PM
Syntax
*bump*

Will this be updated in sync with the 3.1 patch? Have been losing points for a while now, not being able to upload my demos...
09-09-2007 at 02:22 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Syntax wrote:
*bump*

Will this be updated in sync with the 3.1 patch? Have been losing points for a while now, not being able to upload my demos...
Matt said that as soon as 3.1 is officially released, he will update the spider to re-verify everything with 3.1 logic. He could make the tweak I suggested above sooner, but I understand he's been on vacation for a while.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-09-2007 at 04:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Syntax, you're only temporarily losing those points. When 3.1 is released, the spider will re-verify your deleted scores, and it will note that your #1s were submitted first and you will get the #1 score.

I... *could* make the change Mike mentioned, but it's not going to fix the 3.1 demos you've already uploaded (and I don't want to encourage re-uploading them either). If 3.1 is just around the corner like it seems, I'm tempted to just wait for it before changing the spider.

09-14-2007 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Schik wrote:
Syntax, you're only temporarily losing those points. When 3.1 is released, the spider will re-verify your deleted scores, and it will note that your #1s were submitted first and you will get the #1 score.

I... *could* make the change Mike mentioned, but it's not going to fix the 3.1 demos you've already uploaded (and I don't want to encourage re-uploading them either). If 3.1 is just around the corner like it seems, I'm tempted to just wait for it before changing the spider.
Ah cool! I thought I'd be losing them as I believed I was going to need to do a reupload (and hence later timestamps) - Didn't realise you kept rejected demos.

Thanks...
09-16-2007 at 07:38 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Gentle reminder bump. (I was a little startled to see none of my scores for "School of the Slayerly" uploaded.)
10-01-2007 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 and demos not uploading
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com