Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New (But Tiny): Cerebella Archipelago
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged

File: Cerebella Archipelago.hold (3.6 KB)
Downloaded 257 times.
License: Other
icon New (But Tiny): Cerebella Archipelago (0)  
I've been toying around with the editor for about a week now and I've produced a handful of rooms somewhat like the one I submitted in the architecture contest. In fact, the first room in this hold is that very room.

There are only 6 completable rooms at the time, so sorry if I'm jumping the gun in posting this. I intend to add more, but I'm going to be gone for a while, and frankly, I crave immediate approval. Any criticism of the rooms would be great. It's short but it should give you at least a few problems. I hope you enjoy it!

(Warning: 2S1E can trap you if you take the northern exit on the right without killing all the brains. If you happen not to kill the brains for whatever reason though, you deserve whatever punishment falls upon you, you idiot.)

11-22-2003 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000

File: Cerebella Archipelago.demo (3.1 KB)
Downloaded 84 times.
License: Other
icon Re: New (But Tiny): Cerebella Archipelago (0)  
And just for fun, I made a full level demo of this if you're stuck on the harder rooms (especially 1N and 1E). Don't spoil it for yourself though!

And be aware that I only got 1N on the 4th entrance, so there's a little bonus walking around in there.

11-22-2003 at 07:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I really like these rooms; great puzzles (at least the ones I've seen so far). Note on 1E:

Click here to view the secret text

[Edited by eytanz on 11-22-2003 at 07:01 PM GMT]

11-22-2003 at 06:58 PM
RoboBob3000
The scroll lies? Well, that's an error. See if you can do it without hitting those orbs. I can't get back to fix it until after Thanksgiving.

11-24-2003 at 06:41 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I haven't completed the first room yet, but this hold is very enjoyable and unique. (I peeked in the editor ;) )

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-24-2003 at 05:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
This hold is really cool!

Talk about squashing cerebella; it nearly blew my own medulla to bits trying not to hit any orbs! :)

How did you come up with such small puzzles?

[Edited by agaricus5 on 11-24-2003 at 08:09 PM GMT]

11-24-2003 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Yup, congratulations on an excellent hold concept, and I'm looking forwards to more of the same.

One quick solution

Other puzzle comments

As a small side point, you may have noticed that if scrolls are placed on the edge of the screen, they dont display when Beethro enters a room ontop of them. Either this could be reported as a bug (I forget if it has come up before) or you might consider changing scroll placement. This is only a tiny cosmetic thing though.
11-25-2003 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
agaricus5 wrote:

How did you come up with such small puzzles?

For the entrance and 1E, I just sketched out ideas out during math class. I drew a few mimic potions, drew a few orbs in such a way to force the sword to be pointing a certain direction, and then just looked at all of my possible movement. Once I saw where I could and could not move, I added more orbs to limit my movement, getting the entrance all the way down to one solution (I think) and 1e also down to one solution (I hope). The design required a lot of testing while the puzzle was being made to hunt and destroy other solutions. The other rooms, I'm sad to say, weren't as carefully designed, although I liked the way 1N turned out. My mimic and force arrow room could use some work, the snake room was sort of an easy copout (coordinating snakes is impossible), and the trap door maze relies too heavily on one simple trick.

As for the scroll at the entrance error, I noticed that as well. That's why I have the two part message read the other way. I guess I could add another space. I had it in my head that a player could place a mimic in such a space and cheat the room, but I guess that would only apply to the entrance. Man, I can't wait to get back and poke around with this one.

11-25-2003 at 06:53 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New (But Tiny): Cerebella Archipelago
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com