Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug: stairs that end hold reset
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Bug: stairs that end hold reset (0)  
On several releases of Treasure Hunt, the stairs that are supposed to end the hold on level 4 have been reported to re-start level 4. After the first time this happened I made a point of checking before each release that each set of stairs went to the correct place. I am 99.9% positive that I checked before I released version 5, but when I go look at it again after Eytan points it out it seems like it is indeed set incorrectly! And what's worse, it seems like the Ending text that I typed out had disappeared!

One possibility, at least for the Ending text disappearing, could be that in order to work on this hold in the official release, I exported an "Anyone Edit" version from one of the beta releases and then imported it to the official release. I then had to fix the hold description but otherwise nothing else.

Perhaps these two are related--if the Ending text does not exist, then the final stairs don't end the hold. But I don't see how this could be since it should then just give the generic ending. Hopefully I have an old version where I can recover my ending somehow, I don't really remember what I said very well.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-16-2003 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Bug: stairs that end hold reset (0)  
Yeah, it's quite possible there's a bug with one or both of these somewhere since this seems to happen so often. Can anyone give me a set of steps to repro either of these bugs?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-16-2003 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I never noticed it happening until someone told me that they didn't get a hold ending screen, so my only thoughts are the ones I have above, sorry!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-18-2003 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Other things to check: blue doors, the stairway being in the same room as the entrance, working on editing lots of different holds...I don't know, I am doing a lot of testing, but as far as I can tell in my test hold it always stays the same but in Treasure Hunt it will randomly switch back and I have no idea why.

Game on,

12-01-2003 at 10:50 PM
mrimer
I'll mention a couple specific possible connected events:

- Copying, cutting or pasting a (possibly different) level.
- Copying, cutting or pasting a (possibly different) room.

If anyone's seen the stair destination mess up in close connection with these performing these events, let me know. If you haven't done anything like these and the stairs magically reset, that's informative too.

12-01-2003 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Well, that could be the case. I did do several things such as copy a room out into its own hold, then fool around with it and submit it to the forum for consideration, and then copy it back in...but I never did that on the final level of the hold, always on an earlier level. But if that makes a difference then yes, I did do that several times. And actually, in order to make level 3 I just copied and pasted level 1 (room by room I think, in order to keep the labelling of the Entrance consistent). And come to think of another thing, when converting to the final 1.6 release, I had to export the hold as "Anyone Edit" and then reimport it...and I might have just copied all the rooms over instead of just using it as-is, or perhaps I let it make a copy for me to edit, since it didn't recognize me as being the same "Neil" as before.

So yes, I did a lot of those things, so they could indeed be related. The same thing is happening with Smallsome Swicks for me (but no one else has responded there so I don't know if anyone else has seen this), so ask Erik if he did too. And I think TScott had a similar problem with The Killing Jar. Does this mean you have an idea what it could be?

Game on,

12-02-2003 at 12:19 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but in Deep Hold, when I select a staircase to end the hold on the last level then create a new level, the staircase now leads to the start of the previous last level.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-02-2003 at 07:05 PM
mrimer
Could I ask anyone who has imported a hold and then seen the end hold stairs magically reset (not on copies of the hold, just on the originally imported hold) to zip and attach their 3 .dat files here (or email them to me), along with a description of which hold and level and room has the problem?

12-11-2003 at 11:33 PM
Oneiromancer

File: NeilDats.zip (250.8 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Other
I have lost the end stairs on Treasure Hunt, Smallsome Swicks, Dugan's Dungeon Revisited, and The Killing Jar. From looking at The Tomb of Nomb (Extra Special Edition), both versions of the Tomb return me to those Tombs, but the Old Sewers of Blorn return me to the Title Menu. Both The Killing Jar and The Tomb of Nomb worked before because I have a * next to their names in the Where menu.

I'm also adding my drod.err file because there's lots of stuff in there that I have no idea what's going on, since I haven't been seeing any error messages.

...never mind, it's too big. Mike, I'm sending this to you directly.

Edit: well, it's too big to send to you by e-mail too. Hmm, I will try to separate them, but the problem is my drod1_6.dat file is almost 9 MB and even when compressed is still 1.2 MB. We'll see if I can add that in a second post.

Edit the second: nope, I can't add that in the second post. I'll try to e-mail that by itself, but if it doesn't work you'll have to tell me a different e-mail address or where I can upload it so you can see it.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 12-11-2003 at 11:59 PM GMT]

12-11-2003 at 11:45 PM
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
Perhaps there's some incidental bug when there are too many holds installed. How many holds do you have imported to your .dat file?

12-14-2003 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Mike finally has it and he's hopefully working on it. But yeah, I have a whole bunch of holds installed...pretty much every single nearly-complete one out there, and a couple other random ones of my own.

Game on,

12-14-2003 at 08:27 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug: stairs that end hold reset
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com