Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : King Darfit's Problem (Architecture contest)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
IP: Logged
icon King Darfit's Problem (Architecture contest) (+1)  
King Darfit was, and is, a fat, lazy man (kind of like King Dugan). He decided that everyone probably wanted to be like him. Therefore he decided to call together all of his best architects and build a dungeon. The Smitemasters should be able to clear the room in 100 moves or less. Of course, the roaches were probably lazy as well. To that effect, he ordered all of the architects to design rooms that are very easy for the monsters, and therefore very hard for the Smitemasters. These are the instructions:

1. Design a single room that has a demo for beating it that has less than 100 moves.
2. The harder, the better. Rooms will be rated based on difficulty.
3. There is to be no scripting that is not fully explained.
4. There are to be no secret walls, image floors that mimic something, or any other deceptions.
5. You are to submit one (1) hold, consisting of one puzzle room and up to infinite non-puzzle rooms (but remember, Smitemasters will want to be lazy).
6. All entries must be in by 15/08/2007.
7. Only the last submitted entry by each player counts.
8. All Architects must submit a demo to prove that their room is, in fact solvable. These do not have to be displayed to the public, but must get to me before the voting begins.
9. Speed potions do not increase the amount of moves that a Architect has to build a room with (1 step = 1 move)

This was all decided months ago. 'King Darfit', the architects thought, 'will never ask us to do anything as he is too lazy.' They were wrong. King Darfit asked them when his dungeon was going to be completed. They said, "Oh, 3 weeks from now." And King Darfit held them to their word.

Note:
It is not required to enforce 100 move limit, as it is possible that the Smitemaster makes more than 100 moves. However, it is assumed that, being lazy, they will go for the shortest possible solution. This being said, do not build a room that encourages long demos, such as a slayer kill that, if you do it perfectly, makes 100 move, but could take a lot more if the Smitemaster is not adept at manipulating slayers. King Darfit does not like situations that encourage work. This does not mean that the room should be made easy.

Note also:
Review this post for rules changes and updates.

Also note:
This is a revival of a contest I postponed earlier, here.

Prizes:
1st place: Ten points.
2nd place: Five points.
3rd place: One point.
07-25-2007 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77

File: Captainzakku King Darfit Hold.hold (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: King Darfit's Problem (Architecture contest) (0)  
After much revision, I finally got this room down to 100 moves. Two earlier (and harder) versions are also included, and can be played in the editor.

In the interest of being lazy, this hold can be beaten in under 10 steps.

07-26-2007 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: King Darfit's Problem (Architecture contest) (0)  
That hold was amazing!

I wish that man would stay away
07-28-2007 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : King Darfit's Problem (Architecture contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com