Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Any celebritys?
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Re: Any celebritys? (0)  
Garlonuss wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
I've never liked the stereotype of the intelligent using gigantic words, but I like gigantic words and don't want to get grief for it.

I hear you on that one. My friends get on my case because I use words like 'ostensibly' in casual conversation. They tell me I'm trying to show off my knowledge. Most of the time I just can't think of another word that fits without losing meaning.

This is why I drop Californian slang in - it's hard to call a dude using 'ostensibly' a showoff if he throws a 'totally' in there as well.

07-06-2007 at 08:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Any celebritys? (+1)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
This is why I drop Californian slang in - it's hard to call a dude using 'ostensibly' a showoff if he throws a 'totally' in there as well.
I guess Ezlo's contest entry would have done better had he written: Dawgin' Ruses of Obliquitous Dudes
07-06-2007 at 12:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Any celebritys? (+1)  
Dude! That means your slang is, like, totally ostensible. :D

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-06-2007 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
icon Re: Any celebritys? (0)  
Garlonuss wrote:
I don't want to mention whether I support Bush or not, but it is a constant irritant the way people act like he's an idiot. I will point out that he did get an MBA from Harvard Business School. Agree or disagree with his policies, you can't change that fact.
It doesn't annoy me because of political or personal leanings so much as it annoys me because of the stigma that people place on his speaking patterns. As a student of linguistics and language (not officially, but I do enjoy studying it) it annoys me mainly because the thing people mostly ever point to regarding his intelligence is his manner of speaking. I spend a semester studying grammar and accents and we spent a good long while addressing the fact that, justifiable or not, your manner of speaking will cause people to label you intelligent or not without merit. An intelligent person can make policies you do not agree with as well as speak with a southern accent. And few idiots can pull off an MBA from Harvard.

As I understood it, he pulled it off with the minimum possible passing grade, and there's some suggestion that his father's influence (and financial contributions) could have gotten him that far. Though that's speculation.

But it's true that being a terrible speaker (which I think we can all agree the man is) is not the same as being an idiot. Nor, for that matter, is getting poor grades.
07-07-2007 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: Any celebritys? (+2)  
Those Linux people amongst you will be familiar with the message on startup that says something like "Portions copyright Swansea University Computer Society", and of course, Linux person Alan Cox.

Well, about 15 years ago, I used to share late night hack-sessions regularly in Swansea university computer room with him, and more often or not, as I had a car, I'd drive him home about 2.45 am - just in time to catch the chip shop that closed at 3.00am en route! And I sorta almost once kissed his wifes sister, on what would very loosely be described as a date, sorta.

Back in those days, I was a VAX/VMS person, and he kept trying to persuade me that Unix was better !

Now, how tenuous, sad, and geeky is this ?!?!?!

[Last edited by jamie at 07-08-2007 05:44 AM]
07-08-2007 at 05:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Any celebritys?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com