Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Challenge: Turn Order
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon Challenge: Turn Order (0)  
OK, so even though everything on the game field appears to move at once, the game in reality is turn based, if you want to look at that way. Beethro moves, then the monsters and mimics move.

Not that it's really important, but I'm curious if anybody has decyphered the turn order that the monsters take amongst themselves. For example, will a goblin move before an eyeball, or will tar grow before a roach occupies it's spot?

If it isn't already known somewhere on this board, I propose the challenge to someone of figuring out the turn order of all of these game elements (apologies if I've left any out):

Roaches
Roach mothers
Roach eggs (spawning, not growing)
Eyeballs
Snakes (tails and heads)
Tar babies
Tar growth
Goblins
Wraithwings
Spiders
Door opening/closing
Mimics
The 'Neather

Who knows, maybe the turn heirarchy isn't based on monster type and rather location on the board. In any case, the person who solves this will provide us with some interesting knowledge of the game. I encourage whoever tackles this challenge to post their results here, hidden, of course.

Good luck, and if this has already been done, well, hit me in the face with a mallet.

11-08-2003 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Challenge: Turn Order (0)  
I know someone somewhere figured out that, at least when you are making your own levels in the editor, the order of placement of the monsters determines which one moves first. I don't remember if this was fixed in the beta or not. That might be the only thing that affects which monster goes first, not what kind they are, but I don't know for sure.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-08-2003 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Oneiromancer wrote:
I know someone somewhere figured out that, at least when you are making your own levels in the editor, the order of placement of the monsters determines which one moves first. I don't remember if this was fixed in the beta or not. That might be the only thing that affects which monster goes first, not what kind they are, but I don't know for sure.

Game on,

I don't think it has been fixed - it caused my rooms in level 6 to break sometimes until I realised that top to bottom placement is different to bottom to top.

11-08-2003 at 11:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
As far as I know, Beethro moves with mimics simultaneously, then doors, then the 'Neather, then monsters in order from closest to farthest from Beethro. But I could be wrong. ;)

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-08-2003 at 02:32 PM
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
Just yesterday I got my silly self stuck like this:
B R
W
...The wraithwing killed me.

(the spacing looks funky, that's me with a roach directly to the right and a wraith directly below.

[Edited by bdcribbs on 11-08-2003 at 02:40 PM GMT]
11-08-2003 at 02:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
As far as I know, Beethro moves with mimics simultaneously, then doors, then the 'Neather, then monsters in order from closest to farthest from Beethro. But I could be wrong. ;)

No, Beethro definately moves before the mimics.

M-
B-

If Beethro moves up-left in this situation, the mimic dies. I'm fairly sure there's nothing that moves simultaneously.

11-08-2003 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
RoboBob3000 wrote:
The_Red_Hawk wrote:

No, Beethro definately moves before the mimics.

M-
B-

If Beethro moves up-left in this situation, the mimic dies. I'm fairly sure there's nothing that moves simultaneously.
I think Beethro moves first, then all his mimics at once, then monsters in order of creation.

11-09-2003 at 12:02 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
agaricus5 wrote:
I think Beethro moves first, then all his mimics at once, then monsters in order of creation.

The mimics also move in order of placement. This has really given me some trouble when trying to design mimic formation puzzles.
11-09-2003 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Two things I'd like to see.

Firstly, I'd prefer it if mimics moved according to their screen position, rather than the order they were placed. It's non intuitive.

Secondly, I like that the individual creatures can have their movement order manipulated, but it would be very useful to have a 'standardize placement order' button for the editor, to sort them all from top left to bottom right, just to give the author the option to avoid any potential unpredictable creature behaviour.

This is not necessarily because I like puzzles which involve placement order, but because I like that creatures can be made to move in a more coordinated manner, after individual manipulation. For instance, you're in a corridor with roaches coming in from left and right - with standard placement, on one side, they block each other, on the other they come towards you nice and neat.

Also consider the humble snake. If the snake is placed first, no other creature will not move before it, blocking it's path on the proceeding turn. If the snake is placed last, it will always have its path towards you blocked, if it and another creature is trying to move into the same square. Unless it's a spawned creature.

*ponder*
11-09-2003 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
agaricus5 wrote:

Here's another question then: For spawned monsters, what is their order of creation?

11-09-2003 at 03:10 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578

File: Tar test.hold (576 bytes)
Downloaded 102 times.
License: Other
I believe that beethro and mimics move at the same time now. Theres a room, I believe that Clayton made it but I am not sure, where you need to stab a piece of tar with beetro and a mimic at the same time to remove it. See the attached hold for an example.
11-09-2003 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
I tried it that tar test out, and it does destroy the 4-block wide tar at once, but my example of beethro killing the mimic before the mimic moves still holds true. I think your example shows that another game element that must take a turn is tar breakdown. The order with mimics and tar is:

Beethro
Mimic
Tar Breakdown

11-09-2003 at 09:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Challenge: Turn Order
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com