Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Tar gate activation quirk (Inconsistancy with red/yellow gates)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
IP: Logged
icon Tar gate activation quirk (0)  
I noticed that tar gates toggle after all mimic/monster movement is completed. Whereas red and yellow gates seem to toggle instantly.

Now this isn't really a bug, but given how the other two gates work, it seems a little quirky.

[Last edited by starwed at 06-10-2007 04:54 PM : Fix Tyop: not->now]
06-09-2007 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460

File: Blow up tar.hold (998 bytes)
Downloaded 47 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Tar gate activation quirk (0)  
Tarstuff growth and destruction (by stabbing) occurs after other monster movement, so the gate changes are consistent in that respect.

Hmm.. there is one inconsistency - when you explode tarstuff by stabbing a bomb - it is destroyed immediately, yet the gate doesn't drop. (see attached hold - one mimic blows up that mud, allowing the other mimic to move where it was, yet the gate doesn't drop until after the roach has moved.) Whee, super obscure!
(actually the same is true for fegundos - just added demonstration)
06-09-2007 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
Hmm.. there is one inconsistency - when you explode tarstuff by stabbing a bomb - it is destroyed immediately, yet the gate doesn't drop.
Yup. After I made the original post I wondered if it was just an issue of when tar stuff was destroyed, and made that same discovery about explosions.

So you can set-up a sister targate underneath some mud, and even though either one or the other should always block passage, there's that narrow window where it's passable. :)
06-10-2007 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Hm, I'm not sure if this should be considered a bug.. Would it break any existing rooms if this was fixed?

07-12-2007 at 02:05 PM
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
This feels like a bug to me. I'm pretty sure there are no rooms in TCB which would be broken by this. I can't be sure about 3.0 user holds, but I doubt it.

07-12-2007 at 02:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
I guess Mike agrees since he did mark this as 'needs to be investigated', after all. So, okay, I've fixed this. Black gates are now toggled instantly whenever tar is removed. (There might be some subtle effect on current demos as a result.)

07-15-2007 at 01:34 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
trick wrote:
I guess Mike agrees since he did mark this as 'needs to be investigated', after all. So, okay, I've fixed this. Black gates are now toggled instantly whenever tar is removed. (There might be some subtle effect on current demos as a result.)
Cool. I'm planning on making a post about this fix in my "patch logic changes" thread on the Architecture board. If I understand correctly, tar gates used to toggle only at the end of the turn, rather than immediately when all tarstuff is removed. And now with your fix the gates may toggle immediately any time all tarstuff is removed. Is this correct?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-16-2007 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
icon Re: Tar gate activation quirk (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
If I understand correctly, tar gates used to toggle only at the end of the turn, rather than immediately when all tarstuff is removed.
Not quite, there were actually several times black gates could toggle in a turn before this fix too (eg both before and after briar expansion), but the toggling of gates was limited to a few places within a turn, yes.
And now with your fix the gates may toggle immediately any time all tarstuff is removed. Is this correct?
Yes, correct. The black gate toggle now happens directly in the function that actually removes the tarstuff (in the same if block that fires the cue event), so black gates will always toggle instantly.

07-17-2007 at 03:54 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Tar gate activation quirk (Inconsistancy with red/yellow gates)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com