Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How and when did you find DROD?
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
IP: Logged
icon Re: How and when did you find DROD? (+2)  
DROD has one of the best endings I've ever seen for a video game, I laughed out loud many a time... there should be some way to fix that for you, but I can't do it, as I've lost all of my DROD saved games due to a crash, so I'm currently in the middle of replaying Dugan's, but it is most definitely a worthwhile ending.

03-27-2004 at 09:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: How and when did you find DROD? (0)  
JayS wrote:
I found DROD sometime back in October 2003, mentioned in DiMono's column on diabloii.net.
Excellent, the corruption of D2 players has begun :D The ending is pretty worthwhile, and parts of it are really quite amusing. It's worth the time to figure out what's up with the bug and get to the ending.

03-27-2004 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
butsam
Rank Points: 114
icon Re: How and when did you find DROD? (+1)  
I found DROD, and Underdogs, thanks to my sophomore-year roommate at BYU, Adam Peterson, who is already famous in DRODdom. Since then, I've been hooked, and wanted to switch my major to DROD ever since :)

By the way, that was about 2 1/2 years ago, and was back in the days of Webfoot, when the ending was not so spectacular. I love the ending now, and all of the new additions!

Sam

[Edited by butsam on 03-29-2004 at 03:19 PM GMT]
03-29-2004 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: How and when did you find DROD? (+2)  
This topic seems to have been quiet for a while, but I felt like responding (maybe because I've been up all night playing DROD :wacko)

I found DROD on diabloii.net (DiMono's column "Behind the Veil: 13th installment" posted 23.4.2004), downloaded the game and immediately got hooked.

The first room I had problems with was 2N1W on the first level. I just couldn't figure out how to strike that orb on the upper wall. :D Well, after many minutes of thinking and trying, I read the help-file... :whistle Oddily enough I discovered the 'Q'- and 'W'-keys and then I was back on track again.

I then played the game religiously some time and got stuck on the 18th level, 2N2E (with the diagonal movement, goblin and roach queen). The forum was down at that time, so I thought I'd wait until it went online again to get a hint.

Up until that time I had used the Windows-version, but when I got stuck I stopped playing for a while and had time to do some tweaking on Linux (I have a dual-boot system). After that I just had to download the Linux-version (because I started using Linux more and more). I knew that it was possible to import/export players, but I hadn't recorded victory-demos for the Windows-version (and I wanted those demos! (for some weird reason ;)), so I played all the levels again from the beginning (starting on May 13th).

When I finally got to that room on level 18, I solved it in no time. I couldn't believe that I had been so stupid. Anyway, after that there really wasn't any room that really gave me trouble (23: 1N was tough, but it only took me a few hours to solve). Exactly one month after I downloaded DROD (downloaded on 24.4, victory-demo for last room dated 24.5) I finished the game. :)

Aahh, the feeling... :yay

DiMono wrote:
Excellent, the corruption of D2 players has begun :D
You really corrupted me, alright... :crazy Conan the Barbarian was level 78 (single-player) when I downloaded DROD, and he's still level 78...

07-16-2004 at 08:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
minhtuan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Hello all DRODers!

I found DROD a month ago in Underdogs. I walk by "Puzzle games" and curiously click "Sort on ratings". And I see Webfoot DROD impressively at the top, then after a few clicks, I downloaded DROD and now is very happy about it. I am still trying to beat KDD though.

08-08-2004 at 02:15 PM
Frodo
Rank Points: 25
Oh well, since this thread seems to be awake again anyway...

I ran into DROD, when I installed Gentoo Linux on this computer, July 18th, this year. Was addicted within minutes, and found this site a few days later, when I was kinda stuck, towards the end of level 1, due to the fact that the help function did not seem to work (setting $BROWSER sure does help *G*).

Frodo
08-08-2004 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HSE
Rank Points: 162
I had a CD of 500 games and DROD was number 27 on the list. I loaded it up and was greeted with a wonderful game which immediately hooked me. Then I discovered this wonderful forum and I spend most of my spare time here (and on GameFAQs).
08-08-2004 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
I got it on Underdogs.
HUGE download (I have a 56k) but worth it! :thumbsup

08-08-2004 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I found the game last year at the Underdogs, and it looked like a challenging and innovative game, so I started playing it.

Hooray for The Underdogs!

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
08-09-2004 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I first found DROD around 1998(I was 9 then). I had a CD titled "350 Games"(Which I still have) that had the demo version of DROD. I played that for awhile, being able to rap all three levels in a ridiculously short time. Then one day, 5 years later, I finally got internet access on my computer. I remembered this game that I loved so much.....and behold! It was now open source! Now it currently has 4 different installs on my computer - all of which have different tilesets. Weird. :)

08-09-2004 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I was looking for something new, after playing Chip's challenge until I got bored. (Huh, I made over 300 levels in it)

I found DROD in underdogs. (Yes, highest rated puzzle game in the whole site). Of course I had to try it. And it was worth trying :)
08-09-2004 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
[ITA]mich
Rank Points: 19
As Doom said, I was searching for a new freeware game because I was very bored (Can't get past ship 12 at Warning Forever and I finished GTA III and Vice City) so I searched in the puzzle section of the Underdogs (After searching for Master of Magic abandonware I discovered that they got freewares too :D ) and found DROD... I started playing a month ago. I don't play so often due to university but now I'm on vacation and I'm playing very often :D :D :D
Currently I'm very happy because I beat L8 7S 3E without help :thumbsup

Bye.
--
[ITA]Mich.
08-11-2004 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
1. Found the shareware version on the web, probably HappyPuppy. After playing the first 3 levels dozens of times, shelled out for the registered version. Never did beat one of the level 23 rooms, but used the saved games from the Roasted Roach Grill to play levels 24 and 25. :D

2. Computer crashed and registered version nowhere available. :weep Finally found it again on Underdogs like virtually everyone else seems to have. Was a semiregular/lurker during the early days of the Yahoo group but eventually drifted away.

3. Once again Underdogs to the rescue. :thumbsup While checking out the entry for Tileworld, saw a link for something called the Architect's Edition. :w00t Been having a blast the last few days playing new levels and decided I'd drop in on the forum.

[Edited by KevG on 08-16-2004 at 09:15 PM GMT]
08-16-2004 at 10:13 PM
yarnexpress
Rank Points: 24
I found DROD by searching for shareware. I was looking for some useful utilities, probably an icon creator or something equally boring. I saw a games category & there it was.
08-23-2004 at 02:05 AM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
I found drod on a cd called "100 smash games". I got addicted even thought I could'nt get past the room with the 4 chambers. Then every year I tried to get further and I did. I am now on level 19. :D
08-24-2004 at 05:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Josiah
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
I also learned of DROD via the "Smash 100 Games" compilation CD. In fact, I have the CD in my room as of this very moment on my dresser! Since I have downloaded Caravel DROD, I mainly pop in my Smash 100 Games CD to either: play the 1-3 level DROD demo (nostalgia), play Pirate's Plunder [the music for the game is awesome] or play Oilcap Pro (VERY Underrated).

09-13-2004 at 06:29 AM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
I personally found DROD on a demo disc that I bought for £5 at a nondescript little shop in a huge shopping centre miles away from my house. I iunstalled DROD because I thought that someone who would name a game deadly rooms of death must have a sense of humour, and I played and completed the demo about 5 times before I got bored with it. About 2 years later my friend found caravel DROD, and after completing the first levels in about 30 mins, I was hooked. and still am...must play drod now...
09-16-2004 at 04:12 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I have a little bit of DROD history in an archive of postings to rec.games.computer.puzzle, from March to August 1997. Lots of clues in there for Webfoot DROD from Erik, amongst others. If anyone is interested, it's a 231k text file (43k RARed)

Of course, these and many more are also archived on Google.
09-19-2004 at 10:41 AM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
I have just noticed that everyone here is getting 1+ (no I didn't post this to get one :) :D :D :D )
Edit: Wow it really works :D :D :D :D :D :thumbsup

[Edited by rowrow on 09-21-2004 at 05:12 AM GMT]

09-20-2004 at 05:36 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
bandit1200 wrote:
I have a little bit of DROD history in an archive of postings to rec.games.computer.puzzle, from March to August 1997. Lots of clues in there for Webfoot DROD from Erik, amongst others. If anyone is interested, it's a 231k text file (43k RARed)

Of course, these and many more are also archived on Google.

DROD history is always good. Can you send this file to me so I can put it up on the site?

Matt

09-21-2004 at 09:32 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
On its way. Mailed it to your webaster address.
09-23-2004 at 12:20 PM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How and when did you find DROD?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com