Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How and when did you find DROD?
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jjohn7418
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
IP: Logged
icon Re: How and when did you find DROD? (0)  
I found DROD a few years ago, actually I think it was in 1997 or 98. I was working on third shift and was taking a break looking for websites with games. I found the demo version of webfoot DROD and downloaded it. I then got hooked and purchased the full version from webfoot. I took a year or two off from playing, due to work schedule change and kid's activities. I started playing again last year, then found the caravel version and downloaded that one too. I just finished the caravel version today. I'm so hooked, I going to start from the beginning and play all the way through.

12-06-2003 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lucretia
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
My then-boyfriend (now husband) found it as it was related to one of his games on a site. He played it the first level and then told me about it. I insisted on playing it..caught up to where he was and became obsessed. I needed to beat it. That was probably last summer.

Kind of off topic..but am I the only female around here?
12-14-2003 at 10:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
jjohn7418 wrote:
I found DROD a few years ago, actually I think it was in 1997 or 98. I was working on third shift and was taking a break looking for websites with games. I found the demo version of webfoot DROD and downloaded it. I then got hooked and purchased the full version from webfoot. I took a year or two off from playing, due to work schedule change and kid's activities. I started playing again last year, then found the caravel version and downloaded that one too. I just finished the caravel version today. I'm so hooked, I going to start from the beginning and play all the way through.
Do please visit the Architecture and Holds forums, as they contain more levels for you to hack through. There's even a level in the Architecture forum that I designed, with more to come!

12-14-2003 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jjohn7418
Hey DiMono,
Thanks for the suggestion about the Architecture and Holds forums. I actually have already visited them since I posted the message. I have played about 6 different holds and I'm in the process of making my own, which should be out soon. :) I'll look for your hold soon as well. I don't remember seeing it off hand, what's the name? Thanks, Jim

After posting this reply I went back and checked. I have seen your holds, there are three that I played. I haven't gone very far yet, still working my way through. Great job so far. Thanks

[Edited by jjohn7418 on 12-14-2003 at 04:28 PM GMT: Was hasty in a reply without looking for some information.]

12-14-2003 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
lucretia wrote:

Um, Miss Brittany is female, and is I believe someone...important...to one of the higher-ups...but she doesn't come around very much. Clayton's girlfriend has made a few posts but she doesn't come around much either. That's it, as far as I can remember.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-14-2003 at 08:10 PM
Oneiromancer
jjohn7418 wrote:
After posting this reply I went back and checked. I have seen your holds, there are three that I played. I haven't gone very far yet, still working my way through.

As far as I see DiMono has only one hold...exactly what holds are you referring to?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-14-2003 at 08:11 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
lucretia wrote:
Before we started up yahoo group and later this forum, the e-mails I got from players were about 60/40 male/female, which amazed me. My theory is that women don't choose to participate in the DROD forum as often men, but I think out of all the DROD players, a good percentage are women--we just don't see them here much.

-Erik

12-14-2003 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jjohn7418
Oneiromancer wrote:

As far as I see DiMono has only one hold...exactly what holds are you referring to?

Game on,

I stand corrected, I was looking at the wrong field for the information. I apologize, my hands were faster than my mind. Thanks.

12-14-2003 at 08:41 PM
DiMono
I was about to ask about that. Incidentally, level 2 of my hold should be up in a couple days or so. I'm taking my time to try to do it right the first time around, such as playtesting the rooms as I build them to make sure the puzzles work as I want them to.

12-15-2003 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
DiMono wrote:
I'm taking my time to try to do it right the first time around, such as playtesting the rooms as I build them to make sure the puzzles work as I want them to.

That really should be a given for everyone making holds anyway...not a bonus. Not seeing trivial solutions is one thing, but impossible rooms is pretty inexcusable, in my opinion.

Game on,

12-15-2003 at 08:40 AM
DiMono
Should be, yes, but you've seen some of the threads in the Architecture forum. Incidentally, I started a thread all about tips for hold design in that forum, hopefully it'll get stickied and people will add other suggestions to it. Some of the things I put in it were "make sure all rooms are solvable" and "don't submit incomplete levels for playtesting"

12-15-2003 at 09:12 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Don't forget "make sure to include some puppies and ketchup" :D

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-15-2003 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
sims5000
Rank Points: 117
I found Drod four years ago on a cd rom called games, games and more games levs 1-3 i was never any good at it but i got good, then I wanted the full version, I looked on Webfoot, they only took dollers (I only have pounds) so I went to google and it said 'the officel DROD site' I clicked on it and downloaded drod :thumbsup
01-05-2004 at 09:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Big-J-Q
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
I found DROD a little over year ago; The full Webfoot-version. I can't remember WHY I stumbled across it, but luckily I did. I played it all the way to level 8, after which I for some reason gave up. Perhaps one of the reasons was that it was on my father's computer, and when I got back to my apartment 400 kilometers away, I didn't bother to redownload and play again to level 8, which I already "knew" that it was a dead end.

Then, more or less year later, on christmas holiday -03, I was again spending the christmas at my parents' house, and I found out that I still had DROD, and decided to give it a try. I played first 4 levels, and then I decided to look again for any websites concerning DROD. Then I found Caravel-DROD, spent an hour downloading it and there I was again. This time, with checkpoints, I didn't (and won't!) give up :)
01-05-2004 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Big-J-Q wrote:
I found DROD a little over year ago; The full Webfoot-version. I can't remember WHY I stumbled across it, but luckily I did. I played it all the way to level 8, after which I for some reason gave up. Perhaps one of the reasons was that it was on my father's computer, and when I got back to my apartment 400 kilometers away, I didn't bother to redownload and play again to level 8, which I already "knew" that it was a dead end.

Then, more or less year later, on christmas holiday -03, I was again spending the christmas at my parents' house, and I found out that I still had DROD, and decided to give it a try. I played first 4 levels, and then I decided to look again for any websites concerning DROD. Then I found Caravel-DROD, spent an hour downloading it and there I was again. This time, with checkpoints, I didn't (and won't!) give up :)
That's the spirit!

Keep going! :D

01-05-2004 at 05:21 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Ag- you made me think of something. My dad loves the quote "The church is the only organization that exists solely for the benefit of its non-members". I think that our Hall of Legendary Smitemasters is an even better example of this than any church I have ever heard about.

01-06-2004 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
What do you mean? You get a warm fuzzy glow for seeing your name up there on the list.

Matt

01-06-2004 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I felt that we were all cheerleading for other people to join the list, and almost all of us hang out (or hung out) at Hints & Solutions, and we keep getting, and trying to get, new members. Plus, there aren't dues or anything like that.

Plus, I think the warm fuzzy feeling comes from beating the game, and the list reminds you of that warm fuzzy feeling.

01-06-2004 at 05:49 PM
dividendD
Rank Points: 44
krammer wrote:
OK, seems like I am the longest playing resident so far at 6 years. Well, kind of 6 years.

I got the demo of Webfoot DROD (levels 1-3) in a shareware compilation CD at the tender age of 10. It was the first game I had on my new Windows machine with a CD-ROM drive!!! :-O

I completed it in about 3 months but didn't order the registered version because there was no UK price. I found the game again about a year and a half ago and found drod.net, then the full version on Underdogs.

[Edited by krammer on 03-20-2003 at 07:28 PM GMT]

This is almost exactally what happened to me! What a coincidence!
02-07-2004 at 02:16 PM
Koro
Rank Points: 74
icon Re: How and when did you find DROD? (+1)  
I'm a pretty "old" DROD player myself, having beat the Webfoot version almost five years ago as a sophomore in high school (courtesy of underdogs of course, after doing a google search for puzzle games). I thought that was a pretty cool achievement and put DROD on a bunch of school computers and tried to hook my friends. Some of them at least got far enough to recognize the beauty and complexity of the game, but they wanted to do this weird "studying" thing. Weird...
I found DROD.net this year at college, then our ISP went down so I beat the Caravel game since I couldn't surf the net but still needed my daily quota of screen-induced UV radiation. Note the ignorance of the hints board throughout. I also just recently learned the right click thing. Ah, the days of counting out loud...
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Koro

02-10-2004 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
sims5000
Rank Points: 117
dividendD wrote:
This is almost exactally what happened to me! What a coincidence!
and me
02-10-2004 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Yes, a lot of people seem to get DROD in the same ways.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-11-2004 at 05:20 PM
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
The Underdogs, like just about everyone else it seems, a couple years ago... Webfoot version, computer it was on crashed after I made it to level 16, then a couple months later, I replayed got all the way to that god-forsaken room with 1 wraithwing, tar and trapdoors... *shudder* with no trapdoors and too many intoxicants that frustrated me. Then 3 days ago, after a year at least without playing, I saw the architechts edition on the underdogs, and I remembered how this was one of the hardest and best games I'd ever played.. I haven't left my house since, and I just beat the 'Neather tonight, and it was amazing.

For all those who played Webfoot, do you almost feel like you're cheating using the checkpoints? I certainly did.

03-05-2004 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Muiff
Rank Points: 32
I'm pretty sure I found DRoD on the Underdogs. Great site, really :)
I played the Webfoot version until I got really terribly stuck on a room. Then I googled for hints/new versions and came upon drod.net which led me to the Architects edition.
Someone felt like cheating when using the checkpoints, but I feel that they belong to the game. (And I would have been hopelessly stuck on the (first) tar level without them.)

/Muiff
03-05-2004 at 02:01 PM
zzyzx
Rank Points: 74
I found Webfoot Drod on the Underdogs a couple of years ago. My wife and I played it quite a bit, and then I got stuck somewhere in the high teen levels. Can't remember which one, probably the tar. Anyway, I found Caravel Drod last year and played all the way until the fourth-to-last room on level 25, the one with all the switches at the top. That killed me. I picked it up again last month, and finished the game, finally. :) Last month I downloaded the Architect version, and it's "off we go again!"
03-05-2004 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
DROD was posted on a forum I go to as the most addictive game ever about 10 months ago
I am starting to agree

03-06-2004 at 05:06 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
As for saying checkpoints feel like cheating..

well, I never know how I had the patience to solve webfoot, no checkpoints at all. Now that there exist checkpoints, I could never go back.. but they're not *really* cheating, the most enjoyable part of the game is solving the puzzles, not making sure you don't hit the wrong key.
03-06-2004 at 07:25 AM
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
I'm certainly glad they've been added, I never would have beat lv 17 1n2w without them, I was convinced there were trapdoors buried everywhere, and got so frustrated I stopped playing for a long time... And for me to give up on something I was that addicted to was saying a lot...
but some levels... like the first tri-tar mother, when I beat that felt sooooooooooooo good and with the checkpoints, I just didn't get frustrated enough to get that huge rush at victory... well, when I finished the tar maze in neatherville ... that was pretty darn exciting...

03-06-2004 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Phweengee
Rank Points: 66
icon Re: How and when did you find DROD? (+2)  
Years ago, I was searching the net for info for a game of an entirely different style, Thexder, and I happned across a page where a guy was describing DROD. If I could find that page again, I'd want to shake the guys hand.

Anyway, I followed his link to webfoot, downloaded the demo, and was hooked before I solved level 1. I did the rest of the shareware fairly fast and loved it, and the teasers shown in the demo of the new monsters and higher levels really excited me, so it was not long after that I ordered the full version of Webfoot.

I got all the way to level 23 before I ever encountered any real problems, and one room there totally got me, with 2 goblins and a ton of trap doors. I somehow happened across a site with demos, it might have been the Roasted Roach Grill, I don't remember, and that helped me move on and then I finished the game, otherwise, entirely of my own wit.

I've been around the DROD community for quite a while, mostly as a lurker though. I never really did go through the caravel version, so I don't know what sort of ending awaits me, and that's why now, I am attempting to go through it. The checkpoints make it a ton breezier, and I'm happy they're there.

Sorry that that's much more than the topic requested:)

03-08-2004 at 09:17 PM
JayS
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
I found DROD sometime back in October 2003, mentioned in DiMono's column on diabloii.net. I went to drod.net, downloaded DROD, and played Dugan's on and off until recently completing it. :)

I've actually been around the forum since I came to the site, but never saw the need to register until a bug kept me from seeing the ending. :(

Btw, am i missing much by missing the ending?
03-27-2004 at 04:31 AM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How and when did you find DROD?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com