Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Reusing old rooms in new holds
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Should I reuse some of my old rooms in my new hold?
Yes
No
You should change them first so they aren't the same
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Reusing old rooms in new holds (0)  
Okay, I have spent a good deal of today making a whole bunch of new rooms for level 2 of my hold, Treasure Hunt. I also wanted to add more rooms to other levels, to assuage those who wanted hidden rooms (and to flesh out level 4), but my creative juices were pretty dry. So (and I have mentioned this before, I think) I decided that since Treasure Hunt is a pretty complete hold, and my old holds, The Dreaming part 1 and 2, are, well, old, and also don't have too many rooms, I should just take the best and most interesting ones and use them in my current hold. This, then, would be the hold I would want to be posted on the main DROD page, and to let The Dreaming holds fade into obscurity on this board. Of course, that means that those of you who have already played the old rooms get a repeat. I did reuse one room from The Dreaming 2 and Eytan called me out on it already, but in the future there will be lots of people who won't have played The Dreamings and so they will never know.

So, am I just being lazy? Should I let old rooms lie, and only make new ones for a new hold? Or since I was the one who made them, is it totally understandable? Or I could make modifications to the rooms so that they are almost new puzzles, even though they look pretty similar. I have already made some small changes to some of the repeated rooms, but not all of them.

I am curious to know what people think. Thanks!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-28-2003 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
IP: Logged
icon Re: Reusing old rooms in new holds (0)  
I don't see why you're even asking.

It's your work, you're entitled to do what the hell you like. I don't see anything wrong with re-using rooms. Of course, if the entire hold is just a mish-mash from older releases its probably a bit pointless, but as long as there's enough new stuff and you actually tell people some of it has been seen before then I think most people will be quite glad to see a room they know how to solve.

Basically - i'm really not bothered so long as they're decent rooms.

"Oook!"
10-28-2003 at 08:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Reusing old rooms in new holds Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com