Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
IP: Logged
icon More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code! (+3)  
A little while ago I decided I\'d like to help write some code for DROD. I looked over the instructions at sourceforge and found them lacking a bit:

- They don\'t mention SDL
- They don\'t mention SDL_ttf
- There\'s this whole expat thing - the only version I could find had been renamed to xmlparse (renaming it worked, except it couldn\'t find a constant XML_STATUS_ERROR)

Once i got everything that the instructions mentioned and the above non-mentioned libraries, it took a little massaging of options to get it all to link and everything.

Is this all a test to make sure potential coders are good enough to work on DROD? :)

Now that I finally finished DROD, I wanted to start playing with the source to get a feel for it before actually attempting any tasks, so I did a CVS update. Now I\'ve got several conflicts (mostly in .dsp files) due to changes I had to make for it to compile on my machine.

Finally, the request part:
Where\'s this expat you guys are using? I can get DROD to compile with mine, but if I were ever to submit code, I\'d want what I started with to be straight out of the repository.

One more question - I see a lot of tasks assigned to people, and not many that aren\'t. Any suggestions for a first task?

Thanks,
Matt

02-05-2003 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code! (0)  
Schik wrote:
A little while ago I decided I\'d like to help write some code for DROD. I looked over the instructions at sourceforge and found them lacking a bit:
Ack, I have to update the doc. I admit it is a tough job to figure out how to build the beast with the current doc. Just ask Matthew Daly, and he will tell you.
- There\'s this whole expat thing - the only version I could find had been renamed to xmlparse (renaming it worked, except it couldn\'t find a constant XML_STATUS_ERROR)
Right. Use the version found on Expat\'s SourceForge page. I believe it is 1.95.
Is this all a test to make sure potential coders are good enough to work on DROD? :)
Yeah, and you passed with flying colors!

Actually it kind of is a test, but I didn\'t mean for the instructions to get so out-of-date. Generally, if someone can follow the instructions to build DROD with maybe a little help, then they are likely to be a good contributor.
Now that I finally finished DROD, I wanted to start playing with the source to get a feel for it before actually attempting any tasks, so I did a CVS update. Now I\'ve got several conflicts (mostly in .dsp files) due to changes I had to make for it to compile on my machine.

We will fix things. First off, you need the newer version of expat. Then explain what other problems you have.

One more question - I see a lot of tasks assigned to people, and not many that aren\'t. Any suggestions for a first task?

I\'ll have some time this weekend to update the tasks. Mike and I aren\'t putting any new features into DROD right now. We are pretty much just fixing bugs.

I also need to make an announcement this weekend about some things that the Caravel group is going to do with DROD. This may influence your interest in participating in the project (for or against), so I\'d recommend waiting til then to decide if you want to throw in with the Caravel DROD project.

-Erik

02-05-2003 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code! (+4)  
erikh2000 wrote:
Right. Use the version found on Expat\'s SourceForge page. I believe it is 1.95.
Ahhhhh... gotcha. Now it compiles with the only changes being in the dsp for my include/lib paths. Great!
I also need to make an announcement this weekend about some things that the Caravel group is going to do with DROD. This may influence your interest in participating in the project (for or against), so I\'d recommend waiting til then to decide if you want to throw in with the Caravel DROD project.

-Erik
Color me intrigued. Just don\'t announce the following things:

1. DROD will no longer be free.
2. All new levels must be like level 13.
3. DROD will cause kittens and puppies to be tortured.

02-05-2003 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code! (0)  
Schik wrote:
Ahhhhh... gotcha. Now it compiles with the only changes being in the dsp for my include/lib paths. Great!

Yeah, in VC6 you can change the include/lib paths from \"Tools\" -> \"Options\", and then choose \"Directories\". The settings will be saved for VC in general, not the project. This is useful because you can update your .DSP file later from CVS without causing problems.

-Erik

02-05-2003 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code! (+5)  
erikh2000 wrote:
Yeah, in VC6 you can change the include/lib paths from \"Tools\" -> \"Options\", and then choose \"Directories\". The settings will be saved for VC in general, not the project. This is useful because you can update your .DSP file later from CVS without causing problems.
My only concern with that is with libraries like SDL, which the Debug and Release versions are both named SDL.lib - if I define the lib path in the project, I can change it per configuration to find the correct library. How do you deal with that?

02-06-2003 at 01:21 AM
ErikH2000
My only concern with that is with libraries like SDL, which the Debug and Release versions are both named SDL.lib - if I define the lib path in the project, I can change it per configuration to find the correct library. How do you deal with that?

Hmm. I never even thought about that. I guess I just used the release library for everything.

Alternatively, you could rename one of the libs to sdld.lib. SDL doesn\'t update very often, so it is not such a pain to move files around and rename them to your liking.

The DROD project on the other hand... whenever new files are added, a new version of the .dsp file is committed. So you\'d have to make repetitive changes after each cvs update.

-Erik

02-06-2003 at 01:49 AM
Schik
icon Re: More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code! (+6)  
Okay, it\'s all resolved - I don\'t suppose I\'ll ever need to debug the libraries, so I went ahead and added the release lib dirs to my global VC settings - I\'m compiling a clean checkout now. Thanks for the help.

02-06-2003 at 02:02 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Re: More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code! (0)  
Schik wrote:
Okay, it\'s all resolved - I don\'t suppose I\'ll ever need to debug the libraries, so I went ahead and added the release lib dirs to my global VC settings - I\'m compiling a clean checkout now. Thanks for the help.
You\'ve run the gauntlet! Welcome to the team!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-07-2003 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code! (+8)  
mrimer wrote:
You\'ve run the gauntlet! Welcome to the team!

To celebrate, I fixed my first bug. After compiling drod, I decided to run through a few levels and see what was different. Leaving the very first room, I went diagonally instead of straight up, and drod crashed.

Once I poked around enough to understand the code, it was a pretty trivial fix. For all I know you\'ve fixed this but haven\'t checked it in, but I just wanted to dive in and fix something.

02-07-2003 at 09:41 PM
ErikH2000
Schik wrote:
To celebrate, I fixed my first bug. After compiling drod, I decided to run through a few levels and see what was different. Leaving the very first room, I went diagonally instead of straight up, and drod crashed.

Hey, cool! I just entered that bug in a few days ago. Did you change the orientation value returned by the event or change the code that handles the event? Or did you do something else that will completely blow my mind?

(Hmm. I\'m wondering if the drod-tech list should be replaced with a new forum. I\'m just loving the threaded messages.)

-Erik

02-07-2003 at 09:56 PM
Schik
icon Re: Re: More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code! (+9)  
erikh2000 wrote:
Hey, cool! I just entered that bug in a few days ago. Did you change the orientation value returned by the event or change the code that handles the event? Or did you do something else that will completely blow my mind?
I added a function to CDbRoom that, given the position you tried to move to, would return E, W, N, or S and used that return value as the first arg to ProcessSwordsman_HandleLeaveRoom().
(Hmm. I\'m wondering if the drod-tech list should be replaced with a new forum. I\'m just loving the threaded messages.)
-Erik
It would be nice - only one place to check for everything then.

02-07-2003 at 10:08 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : More complete instructions for people wanting to write some code!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com